Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I'm Batty for You!

You're a Homerun!

Please don't let me Strike Out!

I hope our love goes Extra Innings!

 Swing, Batter Batter Batter, SWING, Batter!
{ok...that has nothing to do with Valentine's Day. I just like a Ferris Bueller reference where I can get it.} Click the link to watch...it's in the upper left corner of the linked page.


You're a Hit!

Don't throw me a Curve Ball!

I love you at Home or Away!  

You've Stolen my heart! 

We make a great Team!

{Let's skip the whole "getting to second base" theme.}

As the mom of a boy, I know they usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to Valentine's Day.  Not everything has to be pink, and ribbons, and lace (and I love those things)!
Valentines for boys can be cute, too!!!

 {image: Decorating Cookies}
In Decorating Cookies, I created some Heart Robot cookies...which is one of my favorite designs in the whole book.  Yay for boy valentines!  Today...Baseball Valentines.

{These cookies were inspired by this Valentine from Minted....how cute is that card?!?}

To make baseball valentine cookies, you'll need:
Using #2 tips, outline all of the cookies.  Outline the caps and hearts in white and the bats in brown.

Thin the brown and white icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  (Reserve some of the white icing for piping details later.) You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles.

Fill in the outlines with the thinned icing, using a toothpick to guide to the edges and to pop large air bubbles. 

Let the cookies dry for 30 minutes to one hour.

Use #1 tips to add detail piping to the caps and the heart "baseballs." I like to make the stitching into little hearts.

Let the cookies dry 6-8 hours or overnight.

Once they are completely dry, mix water with the chocolate brown food coloring....a 1 to 1 ratio or so.  Trim the fan brush, so that it is uneven.  Dip the brush into the food coloring mixture, dab the excess on a paper towel and brush onto the cookies.

The food coloring will dry fairly quickly and be ready for packaging and giving.

What baseball phrase would you use on a Valentine? 



27 comments:

  1. Bridget those are so cute! It can be a challenge to think of boyish Valentine ideas! I know my boys would LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fun for the boys! Nice to see something that isn't all cutesie cute for the girls all the time. Also love your tip about the wood grain on the baseball bats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are my favorite person in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw those really are still cute boys do get the short end this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stinkin cute! Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard so many gosh darn cute baseball love puns in my LIFE!! You just knocked 'em outta the park! These are positively precious Bridget. :) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bridget, I was wondering..how do you get the Pin It button ON your images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link from Kevin & Amanda:
      http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/add-a-pinterest-mouseover-button-to-your-blog-images.html

      Isn't that cool?!?

      Delete
  8. obviously like your web site however you need to take a look
    at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.

    A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to tell
    the reality nevertheless I will definitely come again again.


    Here is my web blog ... Dental Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU need to read your OWN words back to yourself. No wonder you've chosen to list yourself as anonymous. Save your corrections for yourself.

      Delete
  9. Aww, Bridge! With your title, I was thinking you were tying in Halloween ("batty" perhaps meaning flying bat) with Valentine's Day like the old vintage Valentine cards. But, the decorating is superb and your designs are great for boys, too! I'm really diggin' on the robots...have a "thing" for them since Lost In Space (loved that "Bubble-headed Booby" as Dr. Smith would like to say and even designed a robot cookie cutter), LOL! Excellent post, m'lady. And, Happy Valentine's Day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable! I just showed them to Kyle because he's a big baseball fan, and I said look! Bridget made you cookies! :) Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these are just too cute!! Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, these are the cutest Valentine's ever :) <3

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I need me some boy valentine's. Love these ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those Heart Baseballs were adorable! love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these! They are some of the cutest cookies ever. You are so talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Puns and desserts are the best parts of Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, what a cute idea!!! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know why but I am often unable to comment on your posts... Today I am not able to post to your Anna and Mr. Bates post (it's me, not you!) so I'll post here about how much I love the baseball cookies you created AND your lace Anna and Mr. Bates cookies. I love them and I love Downton Abbey VERY much! I will be devastated tonight after the finale. I will pine for the show's return until it does!

    Your cookies are worthy of being served at high tea!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover