Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hipsters...

Merriam-Webster defines the word "hipster" as : a person who is unusually aware of and interested in new and unconventional patterns (as in jazz or fashion).  
These cookies are called Hipsters, not because they are cool or hip or unconventional.  They're called Hipsters because as I ate them, I could feel my hips expanding.  

Inspired by a make-your-own candy bar I had the most fun creating at Hershey's Chocolate World last month, these cookies are filled with just about everything imaginable.  Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, butterscotch, toffee bits...topped off with a Butter Snap Pretzel, it's all in there.

You *have* had one of these Butter Pretzels before, right?  If you can't find them, feel free to use regular salted pretzels.  



Hipsters

2 & 1/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP light corn syrup
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips
1 cup Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup Heath toffee bits
Butter Snap (or any salted) pretzels

Preheat oven to 375.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars, and corn syrup together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.

In 3 additions, add the flour, beating on low until combined.

Stir in the chips and toffee bits.

{You know you want a spoonful, or seven, of that dough. Go ahead.}

Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, dollop the dough onto the sheets.  Bake for approximately 12 minutes; the edges will be done, but the centers may look slightly underbaked.  
 
Remove from the oven and place a pretzel in the center of each cookie, or use chopped pretzels.  Let cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Yield?  Well, if I hadn't eaten copious amounts of the dough straight out of the bowl, I'd have a better answer for you, but I'd say...a couple dozen. 

You can find more cookie recipes for the holidays (and ANY day) at the Hershey's Cookie Headquarters where I was lucky enough to visit last month.  Thank you to Hershey's for sponsoring this post!
(All recipes, options of Hershey's products, and hip circumference are my own.)

38 comments:

  1. Heading over for the recipe now. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your definition of Hipsters. Lol I live amongst so many hipsters that seem too cool for school many days. I much prefer your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it's got everything but the kitchen sink in there! I adore white chocolate, so I would definitely throw some of that in as well. Love the idea!

    xx
    Sweet Tooth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmm. I love the way these cookies look! Such an easy way to make something a little fancier, more special. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bring 'em on...my hips can take it and they'll do so with a smile. Believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, oh man, you crack me UP. "I could feel my hips expanding" ahhh, too true. Please come to NJ ~ you can stay with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So mant good things in there!~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you make these for PTO luncheon Friday? I was looking at dessert table for a homemade cookie and grabbed one. It was delicious! Should have known it was from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID!!! :) How funny! If I don't see you before Friday have a very, merry Christmas! ♥

      Delete
  10. Oh man, those butter snap pretzels were such a treat when I was a kid. Yummm. And to have them atop that glorious cookie?! I'm in. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I snorted when I read this. Great title for these cookies. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness, I love the name for these cookies. I think I might need to call all cookies hipsters. Maybe also buttsters and thighsters...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet idea (literally) and so prettily presented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute name and recipe--I'm totally taking a batch of these to the Berkeley streets and passing them out unironically to passerby hipsters...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if you can crumble pretzel bits into the batter with the other sweet topping ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol you crack me up! Love this cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol! These look well worth a little hip expansion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love adding pretzels to cookies! Sweet and salty is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a recipe I could fall in love with over and over!! I LOVE your new definition of hipster lmao, I think your definition is far better than any dictionary I've read <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh. Em. Gee. I literally have everything for these cookies except the dark chocolate chips. (I went a little crazy with the variety of my Christmas cookies this year.) I don't have Butter Snap pretzels, but like you said, the others will do. I will have to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I;m looooving these hipster cookies! You never cease to amaze me Bridget!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have all the ingredients, yay! Like I need one more kind of cookie to make....but hey, there's always room for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You crack me up. I think I prefer your type of hipster to the cultural one at the moment. Although... my skinny jeans won't fit long after a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha what a great name for these cookies. They just need some large black rimmed prescription free glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh boy, these sound amazing!! Love the name too! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to stop eating these cookies. They look really addicting. Hipsters is the perfect name!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow Bridget these look awesome! Merry Christmas my sweet friend. I hope you have an awesome holidays with your family. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made some HIPSTERS yesterday!
    For some reason I plopped down in a weak moment and ate like 6 of them!
    And they were big!
    I swear my jeans would barely button yesterday afternoon!
    Dad-gum those HIPSTER cookies!
    These look so good!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness gracious!! My Grandma used to make something like this and I've been looking for the long lost recipe for a while!
    I'm sooo glad I found something similar!!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this so much, Bridget!! I'm so obsessed with baking with pretzels lately...this is totally up my alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I made them for my husband's coworkers and my daughter's teachers. What a hit! I then realized there were none left for us, so I made another batch. They are decadent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. CLEVER CLEVER CLEVER. I think I have many cookies I can add to this category!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Here comes the infamous baker's twine!!! and a cutesie little stack of cutest ever cookies; I feel the same way - it's the time for the baker's twine TO GO!
    http://www.blogher.com/top-2012-food-blogger-trends-need-go?wrap=blogher-topics%2Ffood%2Ffood-writing&crumb=106884

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....I actually linked to that article on twitter last week. Very funny, but I'm still keeping my baker's twine, and cake pops, too! ;) At least we can laugh at ourselves, right?!?

      Happy New Year!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover