Monday, August 20, 2012

Cute as a Button Cupcakes

Welcome!  Come on in!  Today you're attending a baby shower.
{Yes, you there...in your pajamas...you're at a baby shower.}
Our baby shower today is in honor of Jenny from Picky Palate.  Jenny is the creator of such lovelies as Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies, and Pumpkin Ice Cream Glazed Donuts, and she has a cookbook *just about* ready to come out. Jenny always has her two precious boys helping in the kitchen (I love that), and is currently cooking up another little helper. ;)

Now, when I was asked to "bring something" for the shower (and if you must know, my household of 3 ate them all), I first thought of these Cute as a Button cookies, and thought, "I'll turn those into cupcakes!"  I then realized that maybe I had seen something like that before and lo and behold, Button Cupcakes are in Meaghan's book, Sugarlicious.  So, maybe I didn't come up with such an original idea after all.

The cupcakes are just a simple one-bowl chocolate cupcake from Martha, topped with Shelly's vanilla buttercream and fondant buttons.

You'll want to make the buttons ahead of time (the instructions are here), and let them dry a bit before using.  Place them on the cupcakes as close to serving as you can and don't refrigerate the fondant.

I used Satin Ice brand fondant, and tinted it in three shades of blue using AmeriColor Sky Blue gel paste food coloring.

Be sure to have some more baby shower snacks with the other hostesses!


Amanda: i am baker Special Cake for a "Picky Palate"
Angie: Bakerella Baby Faces
Bev: Bev Cooks Horseradish Deviled Eggs
Bridget: Bake at 350 Cute as a Button Cupcakes
Cheryl: TidyMom Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Gaby: Whats Gaby Cooking Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
Heather: Heather's Dish Perfect Pancake Bites   
Julie: The Little Kitchen Mixed Berry Mint Slushies
Kathy: Panini Happy Baby Oreo Ice Cream Pies
Kristan: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen Homemade Animal Crackers
Lauren: Lauren's Latest Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes
Maria: Two Peas and Their Pod Cookies 'n Cream Sheet Cake
Marion: Sweetopia Baby Shower Cookie Favors 
Marla: Family Fresh Cooking Blueberry Mint Agua Fresca
Michelle: Brown Eyed Baker Shrimp Nacho Bites 
Robyn: Add a Pinch Blue Velvet Cake
Shaina: Food For My Family Ginger Plum Preserves
Shelly: Cookies and Cups Oreo Pop Baby Rattles
Teresa: Blooming on Bainbridge Pom-Pom Cupcakes

Happy new baby, Jenny!!!  We're all so excited to see your newest little kitchen helper!!! ♥


61 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the button, and looks like it might be fun for the kids to help with, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what cute little buttons! These are so perfect for a baby shower. And I love how you didn't add a mountain of frosting. So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just loving all of these baby shower goodies today! These are beautiful and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so great! Such a cute and easy-ish topper :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute!! I just started working with fondant last week actually, so I think I could make these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely adorable, Bridget!! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bridget, these are too cute to boot and what a perfect cupcake for any little boy baby shower! Love those buttons! Thanks for being a part, love you ladies!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these Bridget... love the flavor and the colors and the buttons!! You always bring the best gifts to baby showers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. those cupcakes are "cute as a button!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable and so simple. Which basically means perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cupcakes look adorable. It's so sweet to have this virtual baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super duper cute! Love these! You are so talented! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. gah... these cupcakes really are "cute as a button" love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bridget - just adorable! Those buttons look SO real & life-like! You are just so talented! And have the patience of a Saint to poke out those teeny tiny button holes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute as a button is right!! Simple and completely adorable. I'm sure delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE these, Bridget! Totally trying these out soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. CUTE! as a button indeed. Bridget ~ these are perfect for any baby shower and I love that you can easily change the color of the buttons. Precious! Thanks for joining in on the FUN :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are WAY adorable! Thanks for showing how to make something so simple out of fondant. I'm horrible with being creative w/ that kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fun! Love that you did different shades of blue buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are absolutely adorable, Bridget!! I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A stunner as usual, Bridget! These are so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bridget! These are just as adorable as you! <3 love them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are adorable Bridget, and so do-able!! I love chocolate cake with white icing, but never think to make it! Going to check out those recipes for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are SO beautiful, Bridget! What a gorgeous little button :) when I have babies, you're welcome to do the cookies and cake toppers for my shower, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What adorable cupcakes!! How sweet of you to make these for the new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your cute as a button cookies and transferring the idea to these cupcakes was a great one. Perfect baby shower treat.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love love love the fondant buttons. Perfect for Jennys shower!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the button decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well if these aren't the CUTEST little cupcakes!
    How adorable are those buttons!
    I bet Kiddo and Mr. E love it when you're invited to host a shower on the internet! ;)
    Shelly's frosting is so good!
    I used her Marshmallow Buttercream today!
    Adore Jenny and so excited for her little one to arrive!
    xo~

    ReplyDelete
  30. these are the CUTEST shower cupcakes i've ever seen! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These might be THE cutest cupcakes I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Boy, I do wish I could have all the delicious eats for Jenny's shower in one room! It will be a glorious feast!! Great looking cups - super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are some serious cute cupcakes! I love the blue buttons on the top of the cupcakes! Great job on the virtual shower recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are so clever! I will be making them soon :) thank you xx
    themusingsofateenagemind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. So pretty and perfect for a baby shower! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Soo cute! So i have some left over fondant to use up and was thinking of making some buttons. Do you know how long they would keep after you let them dry?
    thanks Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
  37. Have been wanting to do something with that "cute as a button" idea. Now, your adorable cupcakes have got me dreaming again!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Buttons are so popular now! I will try these out foe my daughters Lalaloopsy party!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow!Fantastic post.I like very much your post.Its so colorful.It gives lot of idea to me.Thank you for this wonderful and informative post.I eager to wait for your update.
    ewald struggl

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yummy cupcakes these are real good and those buttons are incredible.Great creativity.
    Pooh Baby Shower

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey! Adorable blog! Do u fancy doing a follow for follow? Because when I get enough followers I can do a contest, competition and giveaway :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover