Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Birthday, America!!!

Can you handle one more *just under the wire* 4th of July cookie post?

There was a cookie idea I'd been planning to make all month.  When I started yesterday, it just wasn't coming together quite right.  So, I went to my cookie cutter stash and thought, "ok...what I can I make cute in red, white, and blue?" 

Pumpkins?  Not quite right.
Butterflies?  Hmm...maybe.
Armadillos?  Promising...

CAKES?!? Now, why didn't I think of that before?!?

I'm so happy with the way the star looks on the top of that cake, I may use it on ALL cake cookies from now on.  {You've been warned.}

Also, I think these cookies have sealed the deal.  Black outlines are my favorite.  Hands-down.  They just add that graphic quality and certain pop.  I may do all black outlines from now on.  {You've been warned again.}


To make the star cake cookies, you'll be putting to shapes together, like this:
Cut out tiered cakes and small stars...

...use the star cutter to cut out where you want to place the star on the cake...

...place the star in the cut-out and freeze for 5-10 minutes before baking.
(You DO freeze your cookies before baking, right?)


For the double-decker cookies, you'll put those together just like these double-decker valentine cookies.
 
(The stars on the blue cookies are just sugar pearls.)


For the star-topped cakes, just outline with a #2 tip and black icing.
Before filling a black outline with another color, you'll want to let it dry for at least one hour to prevent bleeding.  {I use AmeriColor Super Black.}

After an hour, fill in the outline with thinned white icing.  Let the icing dry for at least one hour.

Again with the #2 tip, go over the outline of the star and pipe "bunting" across the cake.  Fill in the bunting with red and blue icings.  (Piping consistency icing is fine here...flood icing in tiny spaces has a tendency to collapse.)

Place small star sprinkles on the bunting with tweezers, or place on and nudge gently into place with a toothpick.
Let the cookies dry overnight.


Happy birthday, America!!!


45 comments:

  1. I LOVE them!! Gorgeous, as usual, Bridget! Happy Independence Day to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly festive cookie for the 4th of July! Love them Bridget! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, you have truly amazed me! You are so talented. Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved when you outlined your cookies in black. It really makes the colors pop and look so Crisp and clean. These are really cute cookies Bridget! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your precision is amazing! Love the color of blue that you used, & I agree with Renee, the addition of black really makes the colors pop. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can never get enough of your gorgeous cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just perfect! Love your double decker cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny, I just decided yesterday that I might do black icing forever now too! My excuse is laziness though.

    I LOVE the bunting cake! Simple yet so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute as always!! I wish I had the patience to enjoy cookie decorating. You have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally would have loved to have seen some patriotic armadillos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the double decker cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cookies look adorable. How do you find the time to make them so detailed?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please are adorable! Personally I would of liked to seen the stars and stripes armadillo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love your double decker cookies and the bunting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so super stinking cute!! LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cookies (and your cookie photos) are always so lovely! You have such talent! :) Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Day!
    Michelle
    www.daydreambelievers.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. so cute, and I so want to try a black outline cookie now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow again. I'm always so excited to see a new post of yours pop up on my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, so the star topped, bunting covered cookies are just about the cutest things I've ever seen! I'm a bit obsessed with bunting right now, and all I can think about now is a full sized cake that looks just like your perfect cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd venture to say that we can handle all the cookies you create, July 4th or otherwise. These ones are really great. Love outlining in black too for the same reasons you do. Your bunting is adorable. Have a wonderful time celebrating America's birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! These are so incredibly pretty. I'm totally digging the star topped cakes with the bunting flags. Awesome!

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  22. You make the cutest cookies...how do I get on your "sample list"? :)

    Happy Birthday America and God Bless America

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute! Cute! Cute! These would be fun for a variety of celebrations I do think.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are FANTASTIC!! I love, love, LOVE them!! They are so sharp and fun and that cake with the bunting and the star -- absolute genius and adorableness all in one!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE them Bridget! What a great way to use that star on top of the cake cutter....perfect for so many celebrations!!!! Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These cookies are phenomenal! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cookies are absolutely gorgeous, as are your photos! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How did your red not bleed into the white since you did the stripes wet?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super cute! SO creative with the cake topper star, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. America definitely deserves a birthday cake (or two or three), especially the cute cookie versions that you came up with! The white cake with the bunting is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the black too!cute.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm seriously in love with these cookies! Particularly the ones with the little buntings! <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is really creative! And there is a lot of work in this recipe, with all the details! Bravo for the originality! Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are just precious Bridget! Happy 5th of July! (I'm a day late and a cookie short. What can I say?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those are the most beautiful cookies. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loving the black outline and the look of those half-sunken sugar pearls. I absolutely love sugar pearls on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow, your cookies are really works of art!!!

    love K

    ReplyDelete
  38. 5 Tips to a flat stomach
    ----------------------------------

    There are long lasting ways to get the amazing middle you crave. These genius tips
    Will help you shed inches and pounds, banish the bloat, And feel even more gorgeous.
    we have very best advice for quickly shrinking your tummy. Here are the surprising
    Hello, skinny jeans! Stop making these 5 Major mistakes and you will finally lose your stubborn belly fat
    http://juicyabs.com
    http://www.facebook.com/5TipsToAFlatStomach?skip_nax_wizard=true

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover