Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Red, White & Blue Star Cookie Towers

OK...these babies could not be easier, and the best part?  Four cookies in one.  Oh, yeah.


When cookie wizard Callye of The Sweet Adventures of Sugar Belle challenged a group of us to come up with a project using a simple star cutter, my mind went, well, two places.  ONE, to the set of graduated star cutters I had on hand, and TWO, to beautiful cookie "cakes," like these from Sweetopia.
Because of their height and the dash of disco dust, these cookie towers look like you spent many, many hours putting them together, when the truth is, they're super easy.  I like projects like that.

Let's get started.  You'll need:
  • star-shaped cookies, in 3 sizes
  • royal icing, tinted with AmeriColor Royal Blue (or Navy Blue...I mixed mine together), Super Red and Bright White
  • couplers and tips (#2 or 3)
  • disposable icing bags
  • squeeze bottles 
  • toothpicks
  • meringue powder
  • small paintbrush
  • disco dust, red or rainbow (white)

Use a #2 or #3 tip to outline the cookies. Reserve some white piping consistency icing and store in the refrigerator until the next day. 
Thin the remaining icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles.

Fill in the outlines with the thinned icing. Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Let the cookies dry uncovered 6-8 hours, or overnight.

The next day, mix equal amounts meringue powder with water.  Use a small paintbrush to apply the mixture to the smallest cookies.  Sprinkle on coordinating disco dust.  Shake off the excess.

{I apply this dry.  I find it easier to work with a dry cookie than one with wet icing sliding all around.  Feel free to do what works best for you.}

Apply royal icing to the back of the medium-sized cookie.  Press this onto the top of the larger cookie and let set 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, apply a small amount of royal icing to the back of one small cookie.  Press on another cookie on the back and let the cookies set for 30 minutes.

Apply a bit of royal icing to the bottom tips of the small star sets.  Press onto the cookie towers.  Let the cookies dry 30 minutes.

{If you'd like, use a small DRY paintbrush to brush away stray disco dust.  WARNING: you'll never get it all and could drive yourself crazy trying.  Not that I'm talking from personal experience or anything.}


There you have it...cookie towers!  Easy, right?

Now.  Go you must (thought I'd throw in a little Yoda for no reason) to the other girls getting their STAR on today...



  1. Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick, The Decorated Cookie
  2. Patriotic Lace Cookies , My Little Bakery
  3. Independence Day Parade Cookies, Jill FCS
  4. Old Fashioned 4th of July, Vicki’s Sweet Treats
  5. Light up the Fourth Cookies, The Partiologist
  6. Declaration of Independence Cookie, Vanilla Bean Baker
  7. Badge of Liberty Cookies, Lila Loa
  8. Red, White & Blue Star Cookie Towers, Bake at 350 (you're here!)
  9. 4th of July Firecracker Cookies, Klickitat Street
  10. Star Cut-out Cookies, Glorious Treats
  11. Cookie "Pledge", Lizy B Bakes
  12. Star-Shaped Krispie Treats, Cookies and Cups
  13. Easy Star Cupcake Toppers, Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
  14. Rustic 4th of July Galletes, Haniela's
  15. Patriotic Cookie Wreath, Sweetopia
  16. Patriotic River Rafter, Ali-Bee's Bake Shop
  17. Funny Fox Cookies, The Bearfoot Baker
  18. Quilted Cookie Stars, Cookie Crazie
  19. Gimme Your John Hancock Stars, Life's a Batch
  20. Patriotic Cookie Stir Sticks, The Cookie Artisan
  21. Patriotic Floral Stars, SweetSugarBelle



54 comments:

  1. Wow, those are so cute, and more importantly, they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red disco dust is amazing! Also I love this because I can totally eat 4 cookies and call it one serving. I like how you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They may be easy to make but they look like a million bucks!! I love the 3D look and can't wait to make these! You are so smart to think of this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these festive ideas Bridget! No one makes a sugar cookie look fabulous like you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay there is so much right with this, disco dust, simple shape and the best part, 4 cookies in one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that these little star cookies will look fantastic from all angles! And the added disco dust is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, 4 cookies in one serving is my kind of cookie! These are beautiful and so much fun. I think red disco dust needs to come into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous, gorgeous cookie cakes :) Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these -- especially the sparkly cookie on top!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So simple and cute! I love "3D" cookies and have made a couple myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could not love these more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you made these 3D, that no matter how you served this tower of cookie the glittering star can be clearly seen from all sides. Perfect treat for July 4th and so perfectly photographed Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!! These are super cute......love em!! (now If I make them...that's a different story, but I can admire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are beautiful, Americans are so lucky to have a great looking flag. I love our Canadian flag but trying to make inventive cookies with it is kinda hard. I have got to get me some red disco dust, it looks so pretty on your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun stack of cookies, Bridget. It's like a little centerpiece cookie for each person. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. VERY CUTE! Thanks for the inspiration- I might try to make a little something for the Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh these are fabulous, like little fourth of July trophies! Not only do I always admire your creations, your photos are always my favorites. You always have the best backgrounds and photography!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are just perfect!!! I love them! So simple, and yet so fun and impressive at the same time! Gorgeous photography as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so perfect! Oh wait, Glory just said that. I'm following her around today saying what she says because I was also going to point out said gorgeous photography. You are all geniuses.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE how beautiful these look Bridget!! so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love everything about them, and I'm thinking we shopped at the same place the napkins! Pier One?

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my gosh SO CUTE!! perfect for the fourth!! LOVE ITTTTT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am obsessed with our adorable these cookies are, perfect for my 4th of July BBQ! I am just wondering if I can use my Silpat baking liner instead of the parchment paper called for in your recipe. Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so cute, I love how festive these feel, perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So festive! So cute! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So pretty; that sparkly dust on the stars reminds me of 4th of July parades :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an incredibly genius design!! How pretty to set at each place setting to make your guests feel welcome! I simply adore this idea!
    Maryann - Cookie Artisan

    ReplyDelete
  29. The star cookie challenge is a great idea. Love your cookie towers ~ especially the red sparkly one :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are adorable! I love the red glitter

    ReplyDelete
  31. I saw these over at Callye's and some how I knew they were yours! Simple with a unique twist... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. HERE I AM! These are awesome, B! Thanks for playing, it really means the world!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Disco dust makes the cookie towers fabulous! Beautiful yet simple composition!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are really cute, but I have a question. I see you recommend letting cookies sit uncovered overnight.

    How do you prevent the cookies from getting hard and stale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara....after they have dried overnight, you can bag them up. They don't get stale while they are drying. :)

      Delete
  35. These STAR Towers are SPEC~TAC~U~LAR!!!!!
    Eating a cookie tower would seriously make me the haPPiest girl in the world!!!!
    Your pictures are amazing Bridget!!!!
    If these STAR towers don't put you in the mood for the 4th of July nothing will!
    Love all the things everyone did with a STAR cutter!!!!
    Happy 4th my friend!!!
    You are a STAR!!!
    As are all the other fabulous cookie magic makers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love these! There is always such beauty in a simple classic design. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are great. I love how bright and festive they are. Great job. I hope you'll add these to my Patriotic Project Parade. I would love to see them there.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are way cute, Bridget!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So Stinkin' adorable Bridget!! love these!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Seriously, Bridget, your ideas keep getting cuter and cuter. LOVE THESE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. For the Diner, you can quickly find restaurants serving the dishes you
    want, then look through what’s available and make your email booking.

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are adorable. What cookie recipe did you use? They look (kinda) spongy. Look delicious by themselves. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  44. I saw this on a 4th of July roundup and just had to pin it. I hope you’ll share it on my Friday Flash Blog Linky Party going on ALL weekend at The Jenny Evolution.

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover