Thursday, June 21, 2012

Desserts for Dudes: Cookie French Fries with Buttercream Ketchup

 
I'm not sure why the whole "Desserts for Dudes" theme has me making junk-food related cookies every year.

Beer & Hot Dogs?  Check.
Fried Chicken?  Check.

Next year, I'll have to work on bean burritos.

Anyhoo...today we have cookie french fries.  Now, I may love french fries as much as my misters, but here's the difference.  When *they* eat them, the fries don't go straight to their hips.  Men.

These are so, so simple to make and, I'll be honest, both my boys (the Mr. and the kiddo) were a little blown away by them.

*Spend 2 days icing cookies that look like a super hero?  "Nice," they say.

*Spend 30 seconds cutting up cookies and sliding them into a french fry container?  "WOW! How did you DO that?" they exclaim. *sigh*

I've seen french fry cookies before...the ones that stick in my mind are Bakerella's...I mean EVERYTHING she does is fabulous.  Hers even had mini hamburgers.  The girl is a creative genius.

These are a bit different and I'll tell you why...
  1. I like fries the same way I like sugar cookies: tender.  Not floppy and definitely not crispy.  SO...I baked the cookies into squares THEN cut them once they came out of the oven. I got the idea doing this.
  2. Instead of coating these in sanding sugar, I sprinkled them with just a *bit* of sea salt before I popped them in the oven.  I love the whole salty/sweet thing. 
To cut the cookies (I used my go-to recipe), simply remove the cookies from the oven and let cool on the tray about 1-2 minutes.  Use a bench scraper or a thin cookie spatula to cut the cookies into strips.  Either cut on the diagonal, or cut straight, then lop off the ends on a diagonal.
Use a thin spatula to remove to cooling racks to cool completely.

As for the ketchup buttercream...(can we all just agree it's "KETCHUP," not "CATSUP?" That always creeps me out)...I halved Shelly's famous buttercream recipe, adding 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and AmeriColor Super Red food coloring.

For the containers?  I just walked into McDonald's and asked if I could buy some of their small french fry containers without the fries.  Kiddo waited in the car...waaay too embarrassing, but the McDonald's manager didn't bat an eye.  Plus, they gave them to me for free.  Bonus!!!

 {That caption is for you, AJ.}

Do your dudes dig fries?


58 comments:

  1. OMG This is so great!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you had me fooled for a second there! You are too sneaky (and so creative!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "Desserts for Dudes"... So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cute!
    Love how you scored the containers, Bridget! The BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you KIDDING me?! my mind is blown. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh so cute, I love the idea of being able to put as much or as little frosting as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think Micky D's could put those on the dollar menu?
    I know I'd be ordering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bridget I am dying over the cuteness! I love your creativity and these are just so much fun! I MUST do this for my son's summer birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these...I can't wait for the cookie bean burrito next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are AMAZING!!! Not sure how you think these recipes up but I am very impressed. Look out, McD's might pay you big for the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who ARE you??? Like for realz!!! Good Lord Bridget, I'd love to spend about 10 minutes inside your ind . . . Wait. I take that back. Not sure I really want to see that - I'm convinced you don't sleep - cant imagine your crazy dreams. These are THE BEST ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU my dear are *brilliant*! Brillant I tell you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too much fun!!! They are so real looking - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so creative! This is a really, really cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these and LOVE that they have salt on them! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I thought your beer, hot dogs and fried chicken were adorable! These are over the top in cuteness and adding the sea salt was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a VERY popular item I get requests for all the time. However, I do a variation of what Bakerella did. For the "burgers" I use some shredded coconut that I tint green for "lettuce" and then use red and yellow icing for ketchup/mustard. Additionally, for fries, I bake up some pound cake, then slice it up using a crinkle cutter and then put them under the broiler for a tiny bit - makes much more realistic looking fries! Oh, I also put everything into a White Castle Crave case - people go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband is the same way with the fancy shmancy desserts. He could care less if the frosting was piped or if I just plopped it on with a spoon. He's all about taste. And from the looks of these, he'd be thrilled to have a bite (or two or nine). Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love these!! Such a cute idea:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so cute. If they taste as good as they look, they're scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG x a million!
    French Fries with SEA SALT!!!
    I'm coming to Texas!
    I can just see Kiddo and Mr. E loving these!
    Don't you just love it when you do something that really impresses the guys in your life!
    How hilarious that Kiddo was embarrassed to go into McDs with you!
    I bet you loved walking out with those FREE french fry containers. Such a COOL Mom!
    These are beyond cute Bridget!
    And I totally say "KETCH-UP!!!"
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just way too cute, in fact I might die from all the cuteness!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, your french fries look so real. It's very cute. Love the ketchup sauce. Well done!

    I did a April Fool Challenge of Mini burger and french fries set in April and I'd won the 1st place. I use toasted bread for the french fries and cupcake for the burger.
    But it sure fool a lots of people :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think I know a baker as genius & innovative as you! Wow's me every time!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute idea, love it! Pinning!

    www.lifeofamodernhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. My little guy would love these! You have managed to combine his true loves.

    Sharing with my peeps.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  27. You know I love this in the worst way. But I'm kind of dying to see the cookie bean burrito next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jon says he doesn't like fries... but when push comes to shove, he always eats the last one. He does however LOVE cookies, no question about that!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha! I SO remember you saying that as a little girl. I really do think of it every time I eat McDonald's fries:) The cookies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are absolutely adorable! Definitely going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this! You're a genius. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  32. My dude actually kind of hates fries... but that might be because he's worked at McDonalds for 5 years. Anyone would be sick of them by then! (Except maybe me...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Additional hit-me-way-later-in-the-day thought! If you baked oval cookies and cut them in strips, maybe it would save the trouble of trimming th edges to be diagonal? I want to try that and see how it turns out...

      Delete
  33. These are too funny! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't even bake, (very often, or creatively ever!) but I check your blog every day, and this is exactly why! You are just too ding, dang talented. Destiny

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are adorable, and so easy! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG that is so cute. Perfect for a kids birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are absolutely adorable!! And, now I am craving fries... and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cutest thing I have ever seen! Love it and your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Brilliant! What a fun idea--my kids would think this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You know the whole salty sweet thing means I wouldn't be able to stop eating these adorable cookies. Love, love butter cream icing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love that presentation - how original and cute! Definitely something to try!

    ReplyDelete
  42. A person will surely seize interest if he cufflinks is sports a couple of stylish and sophisticated engraved cufflinks. Guys cuff links are the within thing this coming year and are gaining a great deal of attraction to cufflinks for men the actual younger and also the happening audience of today. Adult men cuff links cuff links are around for an individual in several fashion as well as silver cufflinks materials providing you a range of options to be able to choose a couple that not simply amuses the eyes however is also perfect for the type of garments you don.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh wow, that is TOO FREAKING CUTE! And looks tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I don't think I know a baker as genius & innovative as you!
    new games giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover