Sunday, June 10, 2012

Desserts for Dudes: Cigar Cookies

These cigars you can allow INSIDE the house.  I promise.

Mr. E is a cigar smoker.  By cigar smoker, I mean twice a month he heads to the backyard and enjoys a cigar.  Then, when he comes in the house and I say, "you smell like cigar," he is always amazed.  "You can smell that?!?"  Well yes, it must be my super sonic olfactory senses. ;)

No matter what you think, or smell, of cigars, they are quite manly.

Perfect for Father's Day.  Perfect for Desserts for Dudes.
These are so easily personalized as well...use the cigar band to work with a color scheme, or add your dude's initial.

And hey...how cute would these be for a new dad to pass out?  I'm pretty sure real cigars are banned from hospital waiting rooms.  Let's give out cookies before those are banned, too.
(I'm looking at you, New York City.)

Alrighty...before we get started, you're going to make some Electric Orange sanding sugar. Yes, make. You'll need:
  • AmeriColor Electric Orange food coloring
  • white (clear) sanding sugar
Place the sanding sugar in a bowl with a lid.  Add a drop of food coloring.  Shake.
If the food coloring is clumping, press it out with the back of a spoon.  Voila. 


To make the decorated cigar cookies, you'll need:
  • cigar-shaped sugar cookies (I used a template.)
  • royal icing, tinted with AmeriColor Chocolate Brown, Warm Brown, Electric Orange, Gold, Royal Blue, Super Red
  • disposable icing bags
  • couplers and tips (#3, #4, #2)
  • squeeze bottles
  • toothpicks
  • gold luster dust
  • vodka
  • small paintbrushes (2)
  • meringue powder
  • orange sanding sugar
Use a #3 tip to outline the cigar with chocolate brown icing.

Thin the warm and chocolate brown icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles.

Working 6-8 cookies at a time, flood the outlines with warm brown icing.  Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Going back over the same cookies, drop lines of thinned chocolate brown icing directly on top of the warm brown icing.

Use a #2 tip to pipe the "ash" of the cigar with orange.  Thin the icing as described above and fill in the outline.

Let the cookies dry for at least one hour.

Use a #4 tip to pipe a band on the cigars in gold icing.  Let dry at least 30 minutes.

Flood the blue and red icings as described above.  Flood the gold band centers.

Let the cookies dry for at least one hour. 


Use a #2 tip to add a center detail on the bands.

Let the cookies dry uncovered 6-8 hours or overnight.

The next day, mix a little gold luster dust with a few drops of vodka.  Brush onto the gold piping with a small paintbrush.

Next, mix 1/4 teaspoon meringue powder with 1/4 teaspoon water.  Brush onto the orange areas.  Sprinkle on the sanding sugar over a coffee filter.  Shake off excess.  Use the filter as a funnel to pour back in the bowl.


Light up...I mean, EAT up...your stogie! :)



39 comments:

  1. LOVE!! Really LOVE your idea about giving these to a new dad to pass out at the hospital! My bff and her hubs are due in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! They're such a great idea for a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some of the cutest cookies! Never thought I would call a cigar "cute"?!? We used to give my grandpa from Spain (who also lived for a time in Cuba)cigars for Father's Day, but the cookie version wins, hands down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget,
    You have the coolest ideas ;)
    I learned so much from you, so I don't feel comfortable saying this, but why don't you sprinkle the sanding sugar over a fresh piped icing? It could save you some time mixing and brushing?!
    Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tatyana...

      There is a method behind the madness. ;) I apply after for a few reasons:

      1. applying on wet icing and then shaking off the excess can disturb the icing.

      2. sanding sugar can stick to other wet areas of the cookie where you didn't want it to go...even a stray sugar can ruin and bleed into another color icing.

      3. sometimes sprinkling sugars or sprinkles onto wet icing can cause "dents" in the wet icing.

      4. adding it dry gives me more control.

      Hope that helps! But, if you want to add it on wet icing, please do what works best for you!

      Delete
  5. SUCH a cute idea for Dad's day!
    And, you get the prize for best cookie prop ever with that ashtray! It's like it was waiting for you to do cookies to fill it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are ridiculously cute. My dad is a huge cigar smoker and these would be PERFECT for him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these. My husband has a cigar every once in a while and I hate the smell. I think I would like it if he smelled like cigar cookies much better too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are super cute! No smoking in my house, but I'd let these in :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable. I mean, if you can call a cigar adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You slay me. Now I need someone around these parts to have a baby so I can give them these to pass out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so clever Bridget (and you clearly have super powers when it comes to your sense of smell ;) ) so clever to make your own sanding sugar too! So often i need an exact colour - now i know how to achieve that!!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable are these!
    I can just see Mr. E in the backyard puffing on his CIGAR!
    I've got a hilarious picture of Greg puffing on a CIGAR on a boat~ on a guys fishing trip!
    Men totally ZONE~out and into different worlds when they puff on CIGARS!
    That's amazing that you make your own sanding sugar!
    I call that a craft~don't you!
    Can these CIGARS be made with HOT PINK ashes?
    If so~
    I wanna SMOKE a few!
    How cool would that be~
    smoking CIGARS with PINK ashes!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cute and a great idea for new Dad's (and for Father's Day for those who enjoy a good stogie once in awhile). A lot of little detail work on these and the effect is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, i keep saying I am going to attempt your cookies, this will be my first one! Just a question, can i substitute the vodka with anything else? Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you can use a clear extract (they are mainly alcohol)....just be aware that it will affect the taste. :) I find I get the smoothest finish with vodka. At the cake decorating store, they suggested Ever Clear. ;)

      Delete
  15. muy originales ¡¡¡ preciosas ¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bridget, very cool! You are my hero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these! I think my dad would too! I've been searching for something to get him for Father's Day (I think he's sick of tennis paraphernalia), and these cookies are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun! Love the electric orange!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was soooooo excited about these! Sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cigars are awesome! I really love the idea of coloring the sanding sugar...ANY color I want! These are really great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These cigars are awesome, I will have to remember these when I finally get around to having a baby!

    Thanks for the amazing tip about colouring my own sanding sugar, will definitely cut down on the amount of containers in the pantry!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is too funny! My mom's fiance enjoys a cigar from time to time and he has an ENORMOUS sweet tooth....these are perfect for him! Thanks for the excellent idea and the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, love these!!! My husband and his brothers smoke cigars when they are together (no clue why). I'll definitely have to make these for them at the next family party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look awesome. Cigar cookies must be fun to make and delicious to consume.     

    Reverse mortgage calculators

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband would love these. He smokes a very occasional cigar (probably 3-4x/year). The other day he sat and the deck and smoked a cigar while cleaning his gun. I don't think he could have felt any more manly at that time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're amazing Mrs. E. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are adorable... I think my hubby would like these cookies more than he would like a cigar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. When the folks over at Ergo Baby contacted me ergo baby carrier and asked if I’d been down for trying one of their ergo baby carrier australia, I couldn’t hit the reply button fast enough. Ergo has a great reputation for being one of the best ergo baby carrier sale on the market and I’d heard rave reviews from so many of mama friends.

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness for your submit is just spectacular and i could suppose you are an expert on this subject.
    Well along with your permission allow me to seize your feed to stay
    up to date with impending post. Thank you one million and please carry on the enjoyable work.
    Feel free to visit my weblog : samson review

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think this is one of the most significant info for me.

    And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers
    My webpage : asuntoturkista.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its
    really really nice piece of writing on building up new webpage.
    Also visit my web blog - mac baren tobacco

    ReplyDelete
  33. What's up, I would like to subscribe for this web site to take most recent updates, so where can i do it please assist.
    Here is my homepage - van nelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. Saved as a favorite, I love your site!
    My web page ... how to get rid of acne overnight

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bridget these are so cute. I have a cigar cookie cutter and have told myself that one day I am going to attempt them. To date I haven't gotten the nerve up. My husband and the boys sit outside in my yard every weekend smoking cigars and I think this would be an adorable little treat to give them with their espresso afterwards. Thank you for posting these!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover