Saturday, May 12, 2012

Picket Fence & Sold Sign Cookie Tutorial, as promised

See, I didn't forget.  I promise.  Kinda.

I told you when I posted the New Home cookie collection that I'd be back with the tutorials for the rest of the cookies.  Well, it's been a week and a half, but I'm back.  Time really does fly, huh?

Let's just get down to business, shall we?  Here's what you're going to need:

  • picket-fence* & rectangle sugar cookies
  • royal icing, divided and tinted with AmeriColor Bright White, Egg Yellow, Turquoise, Deep Pink, Electric Pink, and Leaf Green
  • disposable icing bags
  • couplers and tips, #2, #3, #1
  • toothpicks
  • squeeze bottles

*First, you're going to need a template for the picket fence.  This shape was the very first cookie shape I ever made from a template.  I remember about 10 years ago, standing at Michael's, looking at their wooden cut-out and thinking, that would make a really cute cookie. 
I bought it and I wash it just like I wash my wooden spoons.  Just lay the clean shape on your dough, and cut around it with a paring knife.  This particular one takes about a zillion cuts.
{If you're feeling ambitious, you could cut out the openings in the center.  I am not ambitious.}

Alrighty, now that we have the picket fence cookies ready, let's decorate...

Use #2 tips to outline the fence in yellow and sold sign post and sign in white.  Use a toothpick to scrape the outlines where they meet on the post.  Reserve some of each of the yellow icings for piping details.


Use the yellow with a #2 tip to add dots connecting the sign and post.

Thin the white icing with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into a squeeze bottle.

Flood the cookies with the thinned icing.  Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Use a #1.5, 1 or 2 tip to pipe the fence posts and "nails" on the fence.  Use a #3 tip to fill in the sign with turquoise icing, using a back and forth motion. 

Let the cookies sit for 1 hour.

Use #1 tips to pipe the flower details, in pink and green icings. For the swirly flowers, use a #1 tip to make a larger dot in the lighter pink, then pipe a swirl on top in the darker pink with another #1 tip.
Use a #1 tip to pipe "SOLD" on the sign in yellow icing.

Have you ever made cookies from a template?


34 comments:

  1. Ooo a tutorial. I loved this set when you posted them, I don't think I'd be able to cut the template like you did though. I have a lot to learn about baking cookies yet. Do you cut them and transfer to cut onto parchment and leave in place?

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa!

      You just pick them right up and place them on your parchment-lined sheet...just like you would do with a cookie cutter. Peeling away the excess dough is the easiest way to start.

      Delete
  2. Holy Cow, you are amazing. I love those cookies but I don't think I have the patience to use that template. Gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could manage to make these, but I would buy them in a heartbeat! They're just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stand making cookies from a template--mostly because it requires me to hand cut a gazillion cookies! I've done it for corset cookies a few times now (I should seriously just buy the cutter at this point!) and some other random cookies. I've learned now to just use geometric shapes and put the design on that. So much easier!

    Gorgeous cookies as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely beautiful! I never would have thought to look at the little wooden trinkets at Michael's for template ideas!! Thank you for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I would never have the patience to do a set like this. I'd cut out maybe 2 picket fences then probably flip my kitchen island over in frustration.

    I get antsy free-hand or template-cutting flower shapes for goodness' sakes. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I'll like to be a little mind-reading bee on your shoulder in Michaels (or ANYWHERE!) as you cruise around getting ideas for cookies. Then I'd like to follow you home and watch all the magic in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are so amazing. Your instructions make it sound like even I could do it. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable. I have never used a templete before, but I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you never cease to amaze me girl!
    LOVE these and your fabulous tutorial!

    Have a beautiful Mother's Day Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tutorial is amazing! The picket fence template would require a bit of patience on my part. But upon seeing the resulting cookies, I can see it is time well spent. Just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother just sold his house, so I think I may be making a set of these soon. And I really, really hate cutting cookies with a tempalte. But, for my brother, I guess I'll suffer...

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your picket fences are so charming! I have used templates...I make them from file folders:) Hope you've had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! Yes I've made cookies from a template...but I always made the dang template!! I'm such a dork! I am running not walking to the wood aisle at michaels tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cutting those picket fence cookies looks like a pain. However, the cuteness factor is worth it! Adorable! I also love your iconic cottage. One of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute, I must keep an eye out for cute wooden shapes now, I made cookies with a template once, but it was a home made one, they turned out horribly wonky, but at least when I iced them I made better lines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cookies are very pretty and artistic! Almost too pretty to eat. But it will be a waste not to eat a perfectly delicious desert.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty, Bridget! You always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely adorable! You are enormously talented and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are nothing short of amazing, Bridget! You are so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bridget! I'm from The Pioneer Woman and Bakerella! So far I love the site!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello beautiful picket fence cookie! Is there a place that looks like that cookie that is livable? Because I would probably just be inclined to buy it. I've never made cookies from a template, although your wooden idea is genius. I have to cut out some fondant letters and might use something similar.

    Jessie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. You must have a smile on your face all day while baking such cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are beautiful where did you buy the key cookie cutter, please

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are beautiful where did you buy they key cookie cutter, please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'm so sorry, but I don't remember. :( I'm sure you can find one online, though.

      Delete
  26. These cookies are beyond precious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantaѕtіc goods from уou, man. I have unԁeгѕtand your stuff previous to аnd you aгe
    just eхtremely magnificent. I actually like what yοu've acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can't waіt to read far more from you.

    Thiѕ is really a tremеndous wеbsite.


    Feеl free to surf to my sіte; Engagement Rings
    my website: Engagement Rings

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are absolutely stunning. Is there any chance you could put a template of the fence on that we could copy and use? X x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Getting a vinyl picket fence is a great alternative to wood fencing. They can be trickier to deal with than a standard fence, but with some basic tips you can install your fencing like a pro.

    White Picket Fence

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover