Friday, May 18, 2012

Lavender & Lemon Scones

No judging, ok?  I've had this little tin of dried culinary lavender in my cabinet for over a year.
I know, I know....that's a big no-no.  You see, sweet Aimee from Simple Bites gave me a tin of culinary lavender at Blissdom (in 2011). ;)  I just couldn't find the *perfect* recipe to try with it....so I kept it in my cabinet and would just open the tin and take a whiff occasionally.

No judging, remember?

When Bon Appetit arrived in my mailbox complete with recipe for Lavender Scones, I knew this was the moment.

I changed the recipe up a bit....based on what I had on hand.  I also grated in the butter....a trick I learned from Cook's Illustrated a few years ago.  More on that in a minute.
In one word, I would describe these scones as "lovely."  In more words, they are sweet, flaky, and a little fancy.  Planning a tea party, or a ladies' brunch?  Make them. 

Don't be fooled though, even though they sound girly & dainty, Mr. E and the kiddo LOVED them!

Lavender & Lemon Scones
{makes 16, adapted from Bon Appetit}

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
3/4 cup sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup half & half, plus more for brushing
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
sanding sugar
lemon curd

Place the butter in the freezer.  Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lavender, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. 

On the large holes of a grater, grate the frozen butter and add to the flour mixture.  Stir gently, then rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles a coarse meal.

Whisk together the buttermilk, half & half, lemon zest and vanilla bean paste.  Add to the flour/butter mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms.

Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead about 5 times, until the dough comes together.  Pat into a 10 x 6" rectangle.  Halve the dough into two 5 x 6" sections.  Cut each section into fourths, then cut each square diagonally.  (A bench scraper is the perfect tool for this.)

Place 8 of the scones on the prepared baking sheet.  Brush lightly with half & half and sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Bake for 13-15 minutes, until golden and done.  Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

Meanwhile, place the remaining 8 scones on another baking sheet and freeze in a single layer.  Once frozen, place in a freezer bag.  Bake from freezer as directed above.  Add a few more minutes of cooking time as necessary.  If baking all at once, move oven racks to the lower and upper thirds and rotate sheets during cooking.

Once the scones are cooled, serve with a dollop (or three) of lemon curd.  I used store-bought, but if you are looking to make your own, check out Sweetapolita's post on Citrus Curd.  It's heavenly.

Now that I've been bitten by the lavender bug, I think there's no turning back.  I see lavender sugar cookies in my future.  And hey, I might even buy a fresh tin! ;)

Thank you, Aimee


41 comments:

  1. OMG they look delicious!! I love lemon and lavender colours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to cook with lavender and i love it with lemon... I made A lemon and lavender curd time ago... Wonderful!!! So i absolutely want to try this scones!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we may need you to post the recipe for the lavender lemon curd! Or I may need it anyway.

      Delete
  3. Lavender is one of my favorite things to eat in baked goods. It's absolutely magical. These scones look no different! Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever baked with lavender either...why is that?
    But these scones...these scones...sigh.
    I need an Aimee in my life to give me lavender and get my butt in gear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um ... I have my tin too. I keep thinking it's a precious commodity and once I use it ... well it's high time I get around to it. These do look lovely and the perfect way to use a gift as lovely as Aimee's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I didn't know you could bake with lavender! Always associate it with tea..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scones (something I've never made before) look wonderful and I the Lemon and Lavender just beg to be eaten up! I'm intrigued by that grated butter and wonder how it would work in a pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never judge I have many things for years and never used them, like my candy thermometer that was over 10 years old and still in the package, I swear I had to have it. And I have never baked with lavender and now I so want to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty scone! I am sure very tasty too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These scones look absolutely lovely... Perfect for a bridal/baby shower or a ladies lunch. I am keeping these in mind for the next time I need a good recipe for entertaining! Of course, I need to locate some lavender. I have it growing like wild in my backyard, so maybe I will try drying some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a recommendation on where to get culinary lavender? I live in Texas and I have Central Market and Whole Foods nearby...

    LOVE this idea! I think I will make it have a tea party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I bet these scones are heavenly. I love lavender infused everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a lavender farm near us, and they make all sorts of recipes with lavender, even meat!

    These look delicious Bridget!! and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is too funny. I as well have a year old container of lavender!! I vacation in a small town near the finger lakes every year, and last year I bought some at the whole foods store in town. I haven't come up with a recipe to try yet, but maybe I will work on that today! ;) Thanks for sharing, I saw this as well in the mag! Looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! These sound yummy! These would have gone nicely with my morning tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never cooked with lavender before, but these look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing that grating butter tip!
    and I love how you credit Sweetapolita and Simple Bites. :) I love those girls/blogs (along with Bake at 350) and I think all three of you are kindred spirits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I want to eat the computer screen!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never baked anything with lavender but have wanted to for a long time. I love everything about lavender. And the lavender and lemon combination is perfect. I'm off to buy some and try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I looooove lavender. I have put it in cupcakes and shortbread and sorbet in the last few weeks. Who knows where it will end up next?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A tin?! HA! I have a HUGE glass container! My friend was going to JUST THROW HER LAVENDER AWAY! I know, I couldn't believe it either! So I took it home SURE I'd be using it left and right. ....not the case. I've made so much lavender stuff the hubbie and I are lavender'd out! BUT this recipe is mighty tempting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, these are so very lovely indeed! I MUST find lavender so that I can make them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heading to a lavender festival in Washington State in July. It is fun and beautiful with fields of gorgeous lavender. I will have to make these scones! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Xoxo Kim @ Bluebirds and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's quiet a long search for the perfect recipe. However, this could be the perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I, too, am on a search for perfect scones. These look like they could be the recipe. And GRATED butter! I like that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoy your site and have nominated you for the NEW Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. You can see the nomination on my blog, beautifulfood dot blog dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks as though you found the perfect way to use that lavender. These scones are beautiful! I use that Cook's Illustrated trick of grating the butter, too and it really does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These scones are lovely, and what a thoughtful gift from Aimee too! Love the flavors you used in these - I've had similar scones before and the taste was as good as the aroma! Thanks for sharing. Also, I'm having a ChicWrap giveaway today that you should enter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore lavender and these look lovely indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I actually have some culinary lavender that I bought at a local lavender farm quite while ago. I've made cupcakes with it, but nothing since. I think scones is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. P.S. I think I've been bitten by the double-decker cookie bug:) I took your lead and made some, and I love them! Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the way you write your blogs! Yummy, yummy! Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh man, these look amazing. Can't wait to buy a tin of lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Would be perfect treats at a lavender-themed bridal shower!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I so agree, I adore lavender it cooking, really cuts through the sweetness of cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Excuse me!
    You're making SCONES now!
    FANCY!
    You make everything look good Bridget!
    I loved it when Meryl Streep made the scones in the movie It's Complicated!
    One of my favorite movies!
    Loves these!
    I've never eaten lavender~
    I know I'd be SWEETER if I did!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. After having been to the Lavender Festival in Sequim, Washington this summer, I decided to use the culinary lavender I've had in my cupboards for about three years...(definitely no judging). I was amazed at how wonderful these were! I took a plate to my next door neighbor (with a side dishes of lemon curd and raspberry jam), who returned my plate with exclamations of them having been the 'best, lightest, flakiest scones she had ever had!' I love that you can see and taste the lavender, without being overpowered.

    They're already a family favorite. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These look so amazing! I'm a vegan, so I think I'll have to tweak the recipe a little to fit my diet, but I can't wait to try them. I made a Vegan Blackberry Lemon Scone a couple weeks ago and it was amazing! Check it out: http://www.veganosity.com/food/lemon-blackberry-scones/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover