Saturday, March 24, 2012

Make-Money-From-Your-Teenager Salted Butterscotch Blondies

How often does your child offer to pay YOU to make something?  It really doesn't happen often, um, ever, around here.
A few weeks ago, I volunteered to provide a tray of blondies for an event.  Now, if your house is like my house, all sweets must be "tested" before leaving the premises.

Kiddo was 2 bites in and announced,
"I will PAY you to make more of these."

Ok.  Deal.  What do you think I should charge?  $2?  $10? A promise he'll come home every weekend when he's away at college?  A promise that he'll let me choose his bride, her dress, and provide me with at least one granddaughter since my sister & I have all boys and need to buy some pink and tutus?
Yeah, that ought to do it.

Kiddo is right about these...they are one of our new favorite recipes for spring.  Heck, spring, summer, winter, or fall. (Are you singing James Taylor right now?)

The dangerous thing about these bars is...they are SO easy to make.  You won't even need your mixer....just a bowl and a spoon.

Now, you will be using Imitation Butter Flavoring. 
I know, it sounds a little scary.  I'm not asking you to drink it straight up.  You'll use a teaspoon.  And, if you cut your blondies into 24 squares, you'll only consume 1/24th of a teaspoon in each one.  It's totally worth it. 


Here's the recipe...you don't even have to pay me.


Salted Butterscotch Blondies

ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter flavoring
1 & 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
12 ounces butterscotch chips
1/4 tsp. flaky sea salt

Instructions: 
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 9x13" pan.  Set aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.  Once melted, pour the butter into a bowl and stir in the sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla and butter flavoring until combined.

Stir in the flour, and then the lightly beaten eggs.  Stir until thoroughly combined.  Stir in the butterscotch chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with an offset spreader.  Sprinkle on the flaky sea salt.

Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

{adapted from The King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion}


Salted Butterscotch Blondies.  
How much will YOU make from your kids by baking them? 

This post was sponsored by Frigidaire. When you check out Suzanne Goin's springtime recipes at www.maketimeforchange.com, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children's U.S. programs. Plus, you'll be entered for a chance to win the new Frigidaire Range with Symmetry™ Double Ovens– featuring two large ovens (that can each fit up to a 28 pound turkey!), providing the flexibility to cook multiple dishes at the same time at different temperatures, so you can get more on the table at the same time.

54 comments:

  1. I, too, think that oughta do!!! I will try this recipe, and think what I will charge in case they like it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound very good. How different would the taste be if I didn't have any flaky salt? Could I just sprinkle on some regular sea salt? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butterscotch is one of my favorite flavors EVER! I don't bake much with it since no one in my family likes it but me. However... these bars look good enough I might have to make a batch just for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my husband started drooling when I described these to him...thank you for sharing another *awesome* recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely lovely! They sound delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I wasn't singing James Taylor until you mentioned it.
    And I actually exclaimed out loud with glee when I saw the Butter Flavoring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i went out and got the ingredients tonight to make these...may be up late making them...they sound incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If these taste as good as your peanut butter squares then I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I just made a pan of blondies this week because my husband ate all the cookies in the house and I wanted something sweet. I'm adding these to the cookbook - I don't like chocolate much, so I'm always happy to find good chocolate-free recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! We totally *test* all sweets leaving our abode!! These look supery moisty! I think my grandson would pay me to make these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually imitation butter flavoring quite a bit...and it's great on popcorn to really BOOST the butter flavor to a new level when mixed in with some real butter.

    And that N.M. vanilla is the bomb.

    And butterscotch...oh I love it..these look perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LIKEY LIKE. I've never tried using butter flavouring before mebbe will buy it for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound wonderful (I'm all about the salty-sweet combo). I've pinned them so i don't forget to make them (as if I could forget....)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha - yes pick the dress and demand a female grandchild! LOL These bars sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband has a strict policy that anything I put pn my blog must first go in his belly. If he sees somethong on there that he didn't taste he is appalled. :) Seriously this recipe looks so good that I'm pretty sure it would be a do-over...meaning the whole pan would be eaten before I snapped pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love blondies! Those photos look absolutely incredible - all gooey and sticky and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://bananasstyle.blogspot.com.es/

    This is my new blog, hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha.. yes you should make money for this blondies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. In the oven at this very moment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes please! I am all about flaky sea salt. IS that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are making my mouth water, and I'm not much for brownies/blondies...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the title. :)

    And I love that this uses a slightly unusual extract that I actually have. Yay! I got the butter extract when I took Wilton courses a few years ago and they told me that I just had to use the Wilton buttercream icing (which tastes like shortening and sugar) and that the butter extract was needed for it. I tried that buttercream and refused to make it again. So I have a whole bottle sitting here. Woohoo! These just went to the top of my to-do list. I have a few bags of butterscotch chips that I've been hoarding and now I have the perfect use. I *love* butterscotch. I just want to bathe in the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sigh. There went my low carb diet. :) I *love* blondies, and I *LOVE* butterscotch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I bet you could make some good money with those. The flaky sea salt is what really gets me. I'm already eating these in my mind:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look soooo good. I'm not surprised your child is offering to pay although I'm a little curious which condition was accepted under your terms, hehe.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bridget, you are TOO funny. I know you have just kiddo, so I say, yeah...milk him for all he's worth. I've got my 5 kids, and I sure plan to do exactly the same thing! And, we ADORE brownies around here...so this one will be bookmarked for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These. Sound. Amazing. I LOVE butterscotch! I just bought a bunch to make a cake. But these bars are a must make for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Make him let you pick the wife! If you choose your daughter-in-law, the world will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! And delicious I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just made them, pretty darn good. The only thing I didn't have was unbleached flower, so I would suggest to anyone using bleached flour, cut it back by 1/4 to 1/2 a cup.

    For something really special, try putting a fat dollop of Häagen-Dazs créme brulée ice cream on top of a square when it's still warm from the oven, I did and it was absolutely scrumptious. That's a combination you could serve for dessert at the end of dinner and your guests will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm seeing Blondies everywhere, and I have yet to make one yet. Never even tried a blondie. It's the first item on m y to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Butterscotch brownies are one of my most favorite treats. It is so hard to wait for them to be cool enough to eat after they come out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm sold! Please send me a box of those! ;)

    "Happy Cooking"

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dang! I've been looking all over for a good blondies recipe, and here it is! My mom used to make a similar version when I was a kid, but she lost the recipe, and it is gone forever. I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, these look divine! No wonder they'd offer to pay you to make them. I have my eye on a new purse, maybe I should see if bribery works around here too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. they are look very delicious .and i want some

    ReplyDelete
  37. I will pay you to send me some!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh ho ho, these look lethal. Like too good. I am loving the addition of sea salt too!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. You might get your wish with the granddaughter someday. : ) My husband is one of three boys and all my mother-in-law wished for was a girl and she has 3 granddaughters so far now!

    Thank you for the blondie recipe! I have renewed my relationship with my mixer and I've made 4 of your delicious recipes so far and all have been quite tasty! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just made these and they're heavenly. The only thing I don't like is that I just consumed 1/2 cup of sugar, excluding the butterscotch chips. Whoops. I guess I need to learn to have some self-control. So, if you have self-control, you have to make these and try to ration them somehow. They're absolutely amazing! Butterscotch is probably my favorite stand alone flavor and these brownies definitely satisfied my need for butterscotch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks a lot Bridget.. I knew reading your posts at 9PM was a bad idea. Now I'm just a pregnant lady sitting here wishing I had butterscotch cookies! :( lol CRAVING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterscotch Blondies. *pregnant brain.

      Delete
  42. I think your deal sounds reasonable:) Your blondies look so rich and gooey! YUM!
    P.S. FYI...Years ago I went to a concert and Carole King & James Taylor sang "You've Got a Friend" TOGETHER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love you blog, it is amazing, please subscribe to mine if you want. I'm new and I would love to have some feedback.
    http://viefabulous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  44. Found this recipe thanks to Pinterest! They are in the oven now and smell AMAZING!!! I decided I am going to call them "butterbeer bars" for my kids because they remind me of the butterbeer recipe frm the Harry Potter series. My kids are obsessed so your recipe will score me major bonus pts lol! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. All people are crazy about to eat and this Butterscotch Blondies which is very favorite for many people and i think by this thing people can make good benefit.

    How Can I Make Money

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover