Friday, March 16, 2012

Double-decker Rainbow Shamrock Cookies

You didn't think you'd seen the last of the double-decker cookie, did you?!?  Oh no...I sense a double-decker cookie obsession coming on.
As soon as I started thinking about St. Patrick's Day, I wanted to do a shamrock version of the hearts...but I couldn't decide on a background.  Then, out-of-the-blue, it came to me....rainbow!  Do you know I've NEVER made a rainbow cookie before?!?  Never!  How is that possible?

Of course, you could really put any shape in the middle for your second cookie...heart, cloud, unicorn... ;)

For the double-decker rainbow shamrock cookies, you will need:
  • cookies...rectangle and shamrock
  • royal icing, divided and tinted with AmeriColor leaf green, bright white, super red, orange, egg yellow, sky blue and regal purple
  • disposable icing bags
  • couplers and tips (#2)
  • squeeze bottles
  • meringue powder
  • small paintbrush
  • white sanding sugar
Outline the cookies with a #2 tip.  Use green for the shamrock and white for the rectangle.  Pipe stripes across the rectangle.

Go ahead and save some of this piping consistency green or white icing....it doesn't matter which one. You won't need it until the next day; this will be your "glue" to attach the cookies together. You can just plop the icing bag right in your fridge.

Thin all of the icings (except white) with water, a little at a time, stirring gently with a rubber spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup. (Here is a video I made a few years ago showing how I do it.)  Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a rubber spatula to pop any air bubbles that might have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles as needed.

Fill the shamrocks with the green flood icing, using a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Fill in the rainbow with the other colors....remember Roy G. Biv?  Follow that, but I just skipped green since we have the shamrock, and indigo, because, well, I just did.

TIP: Small spaces, such as the individual rainbow colors have a tendency to cave in, or crater, while drying. After talking with fellow cookiers, we've decided it's trapped air bubbles that don't have anywhere to go.  So, to help avoid this...
  1. ...don't overfill the area.  Use just as much icing as you need to cover the area well, but you don't want a mound of icing.
  2. ...run a toothpick all the way through the icing (I use an 8-pattern), even if your icing has already spread across the area to me filled.
Let the cookies dry overnight.

The next day, take the reserved icing out of the fridge to warm up a bit.

Combine 1/4 teaspoon water with 1/4 teaspoon of meringue powder.  Brush with mixture onto the shamrock cookies with a small paintbrush.  Sprinkle on the sanding sugar and shake off the excess.

Pipe a small amount of icing onto the back of the shamrock.  Press onto the rectangle cookie to adhere.  Let the cookies dry about 30 minutes before packaging.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

May your troubles be less,
 And your blessings be more
 And nothing but happiness,
 Come through your door  

54 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I love the rainbow on the bottom cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these. Thanks for giving us all the tips and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for telling us the color names you used.

      Delete
  3. Adorable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, they're so cute. They really make me happy just looking at them.

    And happy St. Patrick's Day to you! Today I tried explaining St. Patrick's Day to one of my students (I live in Germany) and he was bewildered. Had never heard of it. He had also never heard of a brownie and could not understand the concept. I miss the US. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute!! I love the double decker cookies! You get to eat two cookies and just count it as one... sounds good to me! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double decker cookies are so great!! Perfect for sharing with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you outlined in white. The idea of a rainbow cookie stresses me out because I need to outline, but didn't know what color to use. And I use a different medium for my outline and flooding, so that's possibly 12 different color mixings happening. From now on I will just remember white! Thanks Bridget!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are amazing.

    how in the world do you stay so little???

    happy weekend.
    xoxo
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. little....HAHA! That is the biggest laugh I've had all day, Kellie! ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Hi Bridget,

    These cookies are simply beautiful!! You are so creative and I so admire your ability to pipe all those straight lines! Happy St. Patty's Day x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know you've lived in the SF Bay Area awhile when you see a rainbow cookie and it takes you a minute to wonder why you're pairing it with a shamrock! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! Love them through and through!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For your first rainbow cookie, you've created a doozy! Your double decker cookies are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy St. Patrick's Day! I love the rainbow behind the shamrock.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too, Bridget! Thanks too, for the tip about applying the sanding sugar to the shamrocks. It seems like the right consistency for - "sugar glue" - not too thick, not too thin....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow--I am so impressed with your site!! What darling cookies for st Pattys. I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to see rainbow cookies! :) love.

    Amanda | http://notsocavalier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are too cute!!
    -Anna
    asweetsouthernmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow these are stunning! I hope you're selling these somewhere because if not you're missing out on some mucho dinero. Shoot, wrong holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cannot believe this is your first rainbow, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh! These are just so adorable! I love these, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well then, happy st.patricks day.

    I SO have to stop reading, it's 3.30 a.m. in germany right now, but I so so so so so so can't. you have the most AMAZING blog, I love it. I never actually decorated a single cookie in my life (although I tried a cake once...) but I feel like I have to start RIGHT NOW and never ever stop. I'm frantically searching in my head to find an appropriate cookie-design to make back-to-university-cookies in april, any ideas?

    p.s. sorry if my english is not THAT perfect but I hope you get my point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...for back-to-school cookies, you could do pencils, or notebooks, or notebook paper? :)

      Delete
    2. speaking of notebooks, I could go for kind of a herbarium theme, we'll have to make one soon. but it might be to difficult for my first try... but I think I'll practice while doing easter-theme cookies next week. can't wait to shop for food coloring, meringue powder and stuff (I don't think it's available in german grocery-shops so I have to order it online)... gosh I just LOVE your blog <3

      Delete
  22. The are picture perfect...as in, they look like they should be in a magazine!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are SO pretty!! And I love the sanding sugar on the shamrock! Perfect detail!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bridget, these are so inventive. What perfect cookies for any little leprechauns.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Girly~Girl~Girl~Girl!
    I too love the double~decker!
    I love anything double~decker!
    These are adorable!
    I can only imagine how HEAVENLY it is to put your entire mouth around 2 layers of cookie and icing!
    The rainbow is perfection behind that shiney~sparkly shamrock!
    LOVE these!
    I think your next book needs to be all DOUBLE~DECKER Bake at 350 cookies!
    There's a reason I'm your agent! {...teasing....I'm not Bridget's agent} ;)
    I know these things!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cookies in 3D??? Love the double decker idea! So pretty Bridget :) Happy St. Patty's Day!
    btw: ditto T above!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very lovely! I too keep having cave-ins in narrow areas. I searched the web and it seems to be a common problem with no solution. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try this next time.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. As this one is really looking one of rocking featured source for me. As I have found Double-decker Rainbow Shamrock Cookies from this source. As the post shows exceptional way to make this one. Thanks for sharing some of most promising features about to make this delicious cakes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha ha, Shawna, I was thinking the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are just adorable!! Love the sugar on the shamrock!

    ReplyDelete
  31. ...and may nothing but happiness come through your door too Bridget. Happy St. Patrick's Day. You certainly made a lovely cookie (s) to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, love these, Bridget. Happy St. Patrick's day to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am seeing double rainbows! Love it, those cookies are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  34. CUTE!!!!! 2 cookies in 1 just means I only have to say I'm eating 1, but I'm actually getting 2, right? A twofer, score!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love all the posts the St. Patrick's day posts this week. All are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You really did a beautiful job with these! I bet whoever had the pleasure of consuming them was very impressed by your craftswomanship ;) Hope you enjoyed your St. Paddy's!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a way to celebrate St. Patty's Day! Less calories because it's only 1 cookie, right?! ;) These are really beautiful!
    http://adventuresofdutchandme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. These were so festive and delicious! TY!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your double decker cookies! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just loved the pic. so I set it as my phone background.
    I LOVE IT.♥♥♥♥♥♥

    Just a comment from The Netherlands. Love your blog;].

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover