Monday, February 13, 2012

Orange Blossom Cut-out Cookies

You could call these Orange Creamsicle Cookies...but they're a little fancier than Creamsicles. 
They have little flecks of vanilla bean...because vanilla bean makes everything fancy.
{The secret? Vanilla Bean Paste}

These come with a little bit of a warning.  If you're like me, when dessert has a little citrus in it, you think you can eat two (or maybe 3) times what you would normally eat.  Something about that citrus tastes so light and refreshing.

I'm pretty sure they're the same calories as a regular sugar cookie...unless orange zest has some magical calorie-reducing properties. You know what?  Let's just say it does.

Oh, and of course, these can be decorated with royal icing like any other cut-out, but you might want to try the Orange Blossom glaze.  It's, well, dreamy.

Orange Blossom Cut-out Cookies
{makes ~12 four-inch cookies}

3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, cut into chunks
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder.  Set aside.

In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar using the paddle attachment.  Beat until creamy and fluffy.

Beat in the egg, extract, paste and zest until well combined.

In three additions, add the flour mixture on low speed. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl between additions.  Beat just until combined. Any stray bits of flour in the bowl can be kneaded in by hand.

Flour a rolling pin, work surface, and cookie cutter.  Roll the dough to approximately 1/4” thick.  Cut with the floured cutter and place on prepared cookie sheet.  Freeze the shapes for 5-10 minutes before baking to prevent spreading.

Bake the cookies for 9-12 minutes, depending on size.  Cool on the cookie sheet for one minute, and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Orange Blossom Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon pure orange extract
1 & 1/2 to 2 tablespoons orange juice

Whisk all together to a thick, pourable consistency.  Place the cookies on a wire rack over a cookie sheet to catch drips and pour the glaze over the cookies.  If needed, spread with an offset spatula.

{{psst...if you'd like a printed copy of this recipe...and a few decorating ideas, they'll be in the new issue of Texas Live magazine.  No, really. :)}}

48 comments:

  1. Oh Bridget, these cookies look so yummy! Love that orange glaze! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I please have a dozen of these? They look so delicious and that orange glaze sounds like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a similar tpye of cookie (adding orange extract to reg sugar cookies) and I found that the shelf life ~taste wise~ is not as long as reg. sugar cookies. Did you experience that with this recipe?

    If not I will HAVE to try it because the orange in the cookies is YUM but they don't stay that way longer than a few days. Oh and congrats for getting the recipe in a magazine ... but... you are AWESOME so I guess there is no surprise there.

    Nicole C Burris
    nicolecburris(@)gmail(.)com
    www.facebook.com/sugarandstitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole!

      I did not notice the orange flavor fading. Maybe it was the combination of the extract and zest? Also, they didn't stick around very long. We kind of gobbled them up. ;)

      Delete
    2. Well then I will be trying your version VERY soon. =0)

      Delete
  4. Love the orange kick to these cute cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with this flavor - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! So so so lovely!

    I adore citrus desserts--they're just so light! I'll take 2 bites of chocolate cake, but I'll clean out the entire pan of something citrus-flavored!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look and sound amazing Bridget!!! I would love to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, those look great! I love orange flavored sweets :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I bet the orange zest in these is just FABULOUS! And so tasty....mmmmm, good idea, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sold once I saw the orange glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look so adorable. I like the little bow you tied them with. I think these are the perfect valentine's day gift for loved ones and co-workers. The ingredients all look really simple too, very nice idea for the glaze. I think i would add some colourful sprinkles for extra decoration...

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bridget, these look fantastic! I'm assuming the butter is added cold, like your regular cut-out cookie recipe (it would be hard to cute softened butter into chunks!)? That makes it even better! I irrationally hate softening butter...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Bridget~
    Pouring that glaze over the cookie reminds me of how YUMMY glazed cookies are.
    I almost glazed the hearts I made last week.
    I know these are so good.
    I bet they taste like the yummy Orange Rolls we grew up eating that we were served at The Club {a fancy place in B'ham, AL}.
    Those Orange Rolls were so good!
    Hugs & Happy Day my friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh!
    Did I mention how much I LOVE Creamsicles!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmm... these cookies are spectacular sweets!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hummm que ricas. Maravillosas galletas y fotografias. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  17. this look and sounds and probably smell spectacular. pinned them for my to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum, and anything with fruit, even fruit flavor, makes them healthy. It's a scientific fact.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the frosting looks toooo delish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos in this post are just lovely and make me think that these cookies are super good straight up (though that glaze looks wonderful too)! Congratulations on being featured in your Texas Live magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the second time in as many days that I've heard about vanilla paste. I really must lok for it! BTW, congrats for being in Texas Living Magazine. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmm...great idea to have cirtus zest in these cookies! And the glaze looks oh so tasty with the vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bridget, I love the addition of orange in baked goods. These cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on being featured in a magazine! That's so neat! Too bad I'm nowhere near Texas or I'd pick up a copy...

    These cookies look incredible. My Mom is a huge citrus fan, I think I'll file this idea away for Mother's Day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are beautiful! And I can almost taste them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore orange anything, and congrats and the magazine inclusion! These sounds marvelous :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. After seeing these yesterday I know they would be perfect for my husband for Valentine's Day. He grows about 25 varieties of citrus, so I knew he'd love them. Sure enough, I could hardly keep him and the boys from eating them all before dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love orange..and these look so delicious! How exciting to have your recipe published..I'm gonna google it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. how do you get your cookies so smooth? i used your cut out recipe the other day and the cookies are so good but my cookied were not smooth on top? what am i doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure the dough is kneaded together well. If it starts "lifting" when you are rolling, stop, knead it a bit, and start again. If it gets sticky, dust with some flour. (PS...mine are not always *perfectly* smooth....that's ok, you're going to cover them up.)

      Delete
  30. LOVE all the Valentines cookies in the posts below!! These cookies look especailly yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am with you! I could eat a dozen of these in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These sound delicious!!!

    www.lifeofamodernhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Made my mouth water, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are in the magazine! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I made these for my hubby, coworkers, and students for Valentine's Day- they were a big hit with everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It would be wonderful to win the book, I decorate for my grandchildren a
    great grandchildren. Total 22 My favorate color is Pink. (Not a good color for boys) Parricia Blacker Pttyblc.aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been stalking these cookies since this post and finally finally FINALLY made them. I can't tell you enough how amazingly delicious they are! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover