Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hazelnut Cappuccino Cupcakes (aka Where I Fall in Love with 7-Minute Frosting)

I have a slight obsession with the hazelnut cappuccino.  At this point, I'm pretty sure my blood type is O-Hazelnut.

I love them so much that I was fantasizing about how yummy a hazelnut cappuccino cupcake would be.  The next day at the grocery store, I found two bottles of this in the clearance section:
{That's a sign, people.  And, yes, I check the clearance section of the grocery store.  I only wish the tags were prettier.}

Anyhoo...if you LOVE hazelnut like I do, I hope you'll love these cupcakes.  The cakes themselves are a light, coffee-flavored cupcake, topped with a hazelnut syrup.
For the frosting, I wanted something that was like the foamy milk on a cappuccino, not buttery, not tangy, just fluffy.  I decided to use 7-minute frosting (my first time ever).  The frosting is glorious, fluffy, shiny, and beautiful....infused with hazelnut syrup and a little drizzle on top.
{Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Cupcakes.}

IF you DON'T like hazelnut syrup...I'm looking at you, Mr. E...make the recipe, omitting the syrup, and call them Cafe au Lait Cupcakes, or Latte Cupcakes, or plain ol' cappuccino cupcakes.

Hazelnut Cappuccino Cupcakes

For the cupcakes:

1 cup plus 2 TBSP milk
1 & 1/2 tsp espresso powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 and 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
5 large egg whites
3 and 1/4 cup sifted cake flour (sift first, then measure)
1 and 1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 and 3/4 cups sugar
1 TBSP hazelnut syrup

Instructions:

Combine the milk with the espresso powder and vanilla. (Look for instant espresso powder near the Sanka.)  Leave on the counter to come to room temperature.  Set out the butter and egg whites to come to room temperature as well.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350.  Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.  Set aside.

Lightly whisk the sifted cake flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

Once the butter has come to room temperature, beat until smooth.  Gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy.

On low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk mixture, ending with the flour.  Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl between additions.

In a different bowl, use the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold in a bit of the beaten egg whites into the mixture until incorporated, then add the remainder, gently folding until combined.

Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Place on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.  Lightly brush with 1 tablespoon hazelnut syrup.

After 10 minutes, remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool completely on the racks.

7-Minute {Hazelnut} Frosting


1 and 1/2 cups, plus 2 TBSP, sugar (divided)
2/3 cup water
2 TBSP light corn syrup
6 egg whites, room temperature
1 TBSP hazelnut syrup, plus more for drizzling

Place 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium saucepan.  Clip on a candy thermometer so that it is not touching the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.  Once the mixture reaches a boil, stop stirring and cook until it reaches 230 degrees.

Meanwhile, once the syrup starts boiling, place the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer.  Beat on medium-high, using the whisk attachment, until soft peaks form.  Add the remaining 2 TBSP sugar, beat to combine.

Once the syrup reaches 230 degrees, immediately remove from heat.  While the mixer is running on medium low, slowly pour the syrup down the side of the bowl into the beaten egg whites.  Raise the speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks form and the frosting is cool.  This should take about 7 minutes. :)
Stir in the tablespoon of hazelnut syrup.
{Have you seen Despicable Me?  I just wanted to yell, "It's so FLUFFY!!!" 

Transfer to a large piping bag fitted with a large tip.  (I used a closed star tip.)  Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes.  Drizzle on a bit more of the hazelnut syrup on top of the piped frosting.

 See? What did I tell you?  Fluffy, shiny, GLORIOUS!!!
I'm officially in love with 7-minute frosting. 
If you were here, I would share. 

73 comments:

  1. Yum.....I love hazelnut! These cupcakes look perfect as does everything on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are perfect!!! I'm going to try these for my next dessert and coffee time with the ladies. And what cute little curls on top. So perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I have one... or two? :)

    The frosting is perfect! I think I'm going to make them now. Does it hold well? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 Minute frosting is one of my favorites, I bet it tastes fantastic on this cupcake too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious. Wish I was there to take a bite! My mom used to make seven minute frosting when I was growing up--happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cuppy cakes are so pretty! Love that frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try 7 minute frosting now, and by the way you are officially the best frosting photographer in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you brushed the top of the cupcakes with hazelnut syrup and your 7-minute frosting is just simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love anything coffee related and then you went and topped it with 7 minute frosting. I think I'm in love with these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly said "Glorious" when scrolling down the page, and almost fell over when I read your comment too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cupcakes sound amazing (I might opt for amarato instead of hazlenut but YUM) - however, either way - they would just be a vehicle for 7 minute frosting - best freaking frosting in the world. I like it on red velvet when cream cheese doesn't sound right. There's a "cheater version" on the Bakers Banter Blog that I keep meaning to try since 7 minute frosting really takes like 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific Bridget! I will most definitely try these. My oldest loves coffee and hazelnut flavors, so these will be a hit for sure. I loved making that frosting yesterday for Bakerella's snickerdoodle cupcakes. I agree, the frosting is so good and pretty! Thanks for the continued inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are delicious and beautiful. My problem. . . the conversion of cups for me is difficult. Here we use grams. Greetings and thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful, and sound delicious!! Keep up the good baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, 3 beautiful words! I actually have an unopened bottle of hazelnut syrup (I don't like my coffee sweet, purchased it for a social thing and noone opened it). Better try it...I've been wanting to make some cupcakes like forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seriously would have had a difficult time not snatching up and hoarding BOTH bottles for that price! Niiiiiice!! I bake like crazy with syrups ;) I want one (or 3) of those cupcakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum! These sound so so good. And 7 minute frosting is always a plus

    ReplyDelete
  18. That frosting looks, and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ive heard about 7 min frosting before and you have convinced me I need to make it sometime!

    WOW...

    Your cupcakes are perfect! I mean...so perfect. The frosting, the cakes themselves, the lighting, staging, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh these look amazing!! I absolutely adore hazelnut :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not the biggest hazelnut fan (just not my first choice) but I do love coffee so I'm pretty sure these cupcakes would work for me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love the clearance section too! these sound wonderful! Can I ask where you got your measuring spoons, I may have asked and you said ages ago, but I hope I am wrong:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look beautiful! I must try these hazlenut recipes. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yummy and beautiful. FYI..HEB now making hazelnut iced coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look and sound so amazing! My family and I absolutely adore hazelnut (and any other types of nuts)! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love hazelnuts! Your icing is so pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 7 minute frosting is one of my favorites frosting to add on a cake or cupcake. Love your cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Are you even serious with this?! Oh my word.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look delicious and wonderful!!!
    PS I've got the same your cupcake dishtowel

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just made this frosting for my mom's 60 birthday cake and made it pink, it is the best frosting ever invented!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh how I love that you have posted this. I've been dreaming of making mocha cappuccino cupcakes for ages but have been stuck on what kind of frosting to make to get that milky fluffy thing happening. THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sheer cupcake delight! I'm gobsmacked by how light and delicious these must be. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have never seen more beautiful cupcakes. WOW! Please do tell me which tip you used - I know you said closed star tip - but I'm a dork and don't know which of my 18 star tips is the closed one. :)

    Thank you for another inspired post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Omg that frosting looks so yummy and gorgeous, Im almost put my finger on the picture because they scream taste me, taste me, taste me!!! Im certainly going to practice that 7 minutes frosting very soon, thanks for the recepie and the beautifull pictures

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, you must all be super brave, because the thought of using raw egg whites terrifies me - I might not mind eating a few, but what if someone you loved got salmonella from it? I have have salmonella poisoning, and it is ugly. :( So what's everyone's secret for making this and NOT dying? (ps I live in the city - so have no access to fresh farm eggs)

    ReplyDelete
  36. These look soooo delicious. I have yet to try seven-minute frosting but you're convincing me! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Today I am really appreciating your effort to make everything from scratch and not use a disgusting box mix. (Disgusting for the chemicals, not the taste, of course)
    Thank you for doing scratch frosting instead of --shudder-- canned frosting. Thank you for not using shortening unapologetically on any given day. Much respect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such gorgeous icing - so soft and silky. Great photos as well lady

    ReplyDelete
  39. your photography is outstanding. I am dying to try this seven minute frosting. Because it doesn't last long, I have not offered it on my menu but the kids and I would love it. Thinking I'll blog a recipe for it next week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. UK Food Network showed Martha Stewart making 7 minute frosting. I had to give it a go and fell hopelessly in love.......can't make it again through fear of sticking my head in the bowl and drowning myself in sweet gooeyness!

    http://daisycakecompany.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. i would recognize that clearance sticker from anywhere! LONG LIVE H-E-B!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The piping on the cupcakes!...absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Delicious looking cupcake! It's make me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just love your measuring spoons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. You had me at hazelnut. Oodles of thanks for the share! Can't wait to try them out!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  46. oh my heck do these look and sound DELICIOUS!!......i need to put these on my must make list!

    ReplyDelete
  47. buonissimi, complimenti hai un bellissimo blog

    ReplyDelete
  48. those looks so pretty and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Bridget!
    Bridget!
    Bridget!
    I have no words.
    My mouth is to the floor in AMAZEMENT!
    Seriously!
    Is there anything you can't do!!!
    If there is...please post about it!
    These are the loveliest~most beautiful cupcakes EVER!
    Greg LOVES Hazelnut!
    Must make these for him!
    I just can't believe it!
    I'm PINNING every picture!!!!!!! ;)
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  50. These are one of the best cupcake idea EVER.

    EVER!!

    I was thinking of trying to beat Teresa at long comments, but decided that it can't be done.

    Regardless, this frosting looks amazing and I shall be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am dying to try this frosting. Since it is very meringue-like, does it crust or weep or anything? Whats the life like on the cupcakes (ie. best eaten day of frosting, or are they ok for a couple days after bring frosted?)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh no.....the dilemma! A coffee hazelnut cupcake! If I make it, I know I will love it....but I also know I will eat them all!! What ami going to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. These look fantastic. I love anything remotley to do with coffee. And those tottaly cute measuring spoons! I think i am in love with them. They are soo sweet. I would bake just to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  54. These cupcakes sound GLORIOUS! And that frosting...perfection. Bookmarking this. You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  55. These do look glorious! I must try these right away! (my mouth is watering)

    ReplyDelete
  56. I bet that hazelnut syrup is amazing! Oh, the possibilities! Pretty cupcakes:)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oooooh! These look like trouble! Beautiful, delicious, fattening trouble. The best kind. I looooove hazelnuts, so I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love hazelnut! Just have to share this link on our FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Can I just say "Ditto" to Theresa's comment? Love this idea! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Yummy! Your pictures make me drool, as always. Looks fabulous!

    “Spice it Up”

    ReplyDelete
  61. Could you make this as a cake?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Melissa MandellaMay 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

    This is my paw-paw's icing! Well thats what I called it whenever my mom made it (usually for him!), it is so yummy! One day I asked her how to make it and she wouldn't tell me, now I can make it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa MandellaMay 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM

      Actually she never made cupcakes with it, always cake, so I am glad to know you can pipe it.

      Delete
  63. It is not 7 minute frosting you have been making. It is called italian meringue.

    Great recipe!

    xoxo

    Mads

    ReplyDelete
  64. It is not 7 minute frosting you have been making. It is called italian meringue.

    Great recipe!

    xoxo

    Mads

    ReplyDelete
  65. These look beautiful I've been having a hazelnut craving myself and not sure what frosting to put with it. I always forget about this fluffy kind of frosting and end up making buttercream, i'm a bit buttercreamed out.

    ReplyDelete
  66. All i have to say is WOW. JUST...WOW. I am going to make these for my little ones' baptism. Do you think i should put the frosting on, the day before? Will it hold right and have the same airy look as yours?

    PS
    Greetings from Greece

    ReplyDelete
  67. YOU SAVED ME!!!! I have tried to make 7 minute frosting before w/no success! I made this w/o the hazelnut syrup in it for my Daisy Bridging to Brownies and it was a HUGE hit. We are having a major heat wave here in CA so a buttercream was so out of the question! This was wonderful w/o being sweet!

    I also used your Whoppers Brownies as gift for my new Brownies...sadly that frosting melted all over the place but it still was a wonderful gooey mess! Only complaints were the parents trying to clean up the girls hands n faces...I can so live w/that!

    Thank a million times!

    ReplyDelete
  68. I have a question though with the frosting. Is it pretty sturdy and holds its shape during hot weather? I am still in search of the perfect frosting that will hold up...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover