Saturday, November 26, 2011

Quadruple Chocolate-Cherry Cookies

As much as I love chocolate, I’m not a big fan of “the chocolate cookie.”  I’ll take a regular chocolate chip cookie over a chocolate-chocolate chip cookie any day.
But, I do love chocolate and cherries…so these cookies kept calling me.  And, I’m so glad they did.

While we’re on the subject of chocolate and cherries, can we talk about chocolate covered cherries for a minute?  Do you remember the first time you bit into one?  The anticipation…you *knew* it would be delicious.  You took a bite.  And it was filled.with.goo.  A slimy cherry, surrounded by goo.  They should be banned from all boxes of chocolate.

But, *this* combo of chocolate and cherries is delicious.  {And no goo.}

Quadruple Chocolate-Cherry Cookies
{adapted from Everyday Food #18, Black Forest cookies}

1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 TBSP dutch-process cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1 and 1/2 cups dried cherries

In a medium bowl, whisk the the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

Melt the chopped chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Stir until smooth and completely melted.

{ahh....chocolate & butter.}

Remove the bowl from the heat.  Whisk in the sugars and then the eggs.

Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined.

Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
 
Press plastic wrap right onto the dough, and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350.  Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out mounds of dough (or use a spoon).  Bake until the edges are set, but the centers still look soft, about 12 minutes.
Cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack until cooled completely.

{BUT...promise me you'll eat one warm.  PROMISE.  Don't make me come over there.}

44 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the chocolate covered cherries. Blech!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate and cherries together, thanks for sharing! I also have to ask about your whisk, where can I find one like this? I certainly could use one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette...it is from Sur La Table...I think it's called a Batter whisk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhhh! yum - I love chocolate and cherry. I can't wait to make these and yes, I promise to eat one warm.. or 2 or 3...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really one for cherries, but these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on the chocolate cookies, give me a good old chocolate chip cookie any day. This does look good though with the cherry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to try this recipe - they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to try these. BTW, I cannot STAND choc covered cherries. Totally gross!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not going to eat one warm just so you HAVE to come over. ;) These look amazing Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agreed on the chocolate covered cherries, but these cookies look amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look awesome!

    just a few days ago I posted about chocolate-chocolate chip cookies that I stuffed with chocolate covered cherries. Like you I typically prefer just regular choc chip cookies....yours look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazingly moist and chewy and I love this flavor combination. Thanks for the new cookie recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am getting ready to bake brownies, but these look yummie to

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet those are really moist! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at quadruple chocolate, but yes, those candy box cherries are foul. Trader Joe's makes amazing choco-covered cherries, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Speaking of Chocolate covered cherries, I can't stand them because of the goo! Blech!!! As for your Chocolate Cherry cookies here with dried cherries, I could SO eat these. Hmmm, I might have to make these for the Cookie Swap I'm participating in at The Little Kitchen! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honestly, when I was younger I used to like the chocolate covered cherries. Then I grew out of that phase and moved on to Lowney's Cherry Blossoms which I haven't had for years.
    These do look delicious and chock-full of chocolate and cherries. What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's the definition of the word decadent, they look SO good, moist and full of flavor

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ADORE chocolate covered cherries, and I KNOW these cookies will be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE chocolate + cherries, but totally agree with you on the chocolate-covered cherries with the white goo. So gross! This looks like an amazing recipe! yummm

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to admit, when I saw chocolate and cherries, all I could think about was my childhood trauma of the GOO! So needless to say, I just might go back to the yummy combo of chocolate and cherries. Thanks again as always for the yummy recipes. My family thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Chocolate and Cherry Combos!! These look perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never actually liked those chocolate covered cherries, but this version w/ the dried cherries looks way more awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Goodness. I like that combo too. But not the chocolate covered cherry. I'll sign the petition to ban it if you get it going. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chocolate covered cherries = gross.
    Chocolate covered DRIED cherries = delicious.

    Definitely need to try these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are one of my favorite cookies! I love dried cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think I'd love these - can't wait to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chocolate and cherries.....yes! Those look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is my kind of cookie. I will take a dozen:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooooooh do those look divine. And I love the *no goo* surprise inside.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi,

    I just came across your blog and it is BEAUTIFUL! I will surely be following :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chocolate and cherries - one of my first candy memories. These look great, I think I can make these without making a mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. About how many cookies does a batch make?

    ReplyDelete
  35. These cookies look great! I love chocolate and cherries too. You're right on about chocolate covered cherries......they should be banned....they're awful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow, those chocolate cherry cookies look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great tips. I froze cookie dough in advance for last year's baking and it worked out so well. Really takes the stress off of those few days before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have made these cookies today, and they were so much delicious!! Thank you for the recipe, I will definitely do them again... and again :))

    ReplyDelete
  39. I made these on a whim last night after a quick trip to the store for chocolate. THEY WERE A HIT!! Totally won the neighbors over -- they had a plate of fresh, warm cookies delivered to their door at 9 p.m. Very easy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. nice opinion, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are delicious. I am not usually one to say something is too rich/sweet but these are. I think next time I will make them 1 tablespoon size. I got my dried cherries from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  42. So I kinda forgot about the dough in my fridge...for 2 days...and now I have a solid brick of chocolate dough to thaw out a bit lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover