Thursday, October 6, 2011

Please Pass the Nair . . .

...do they even make Nair anymore?  I now have the "we wear short-shorts" jingle stuck in my head...and I think I'm dating myself with that admission.

Hairy-Legged Spider Cookies.


I shared the tutorial for these over at TidyMom last year and thought I'd show them to you here this year.  

My sister cut this idea out of Family Circle magazine for me a few years ago. I love having friends and family on the lookout for cute cookie ideas!  Thank you, Molly!  These are fun!


I'm pretty sure these are girl spiders and their husbands are on a business trip.  Not that I speak from personal experience, it just seems like that might be a time when a girl would skip a day shaving her legs.

{Again, totally hypothetical example.}

To make them, you'll need:
  • sugar cookies in a spider shape (I bought my cutter from Sweet Baking Supply, here)
  • royal icing in brown and white (I used AmeriColor Chocolate Brown mixed with Super Black for the brown and Bright White for the white.)
  • decorating tips in #2, #1 and #7
  • disposable piping bags
  • squeeze bottles
  • toothpicks
  • chocolate jimmies


First, using a #2 tip and brown royal icing, pipe the outline of the spider body.


Change the tip on the piping bag to a #7 tip (or another larger round tip) and pipe on the spider legs.

Add water to the remaining brown icing, stirring in a bit at a time, until the icing is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit several minutes.

Uncover the icing and stir gently with a rubber spatula to pop the bubbles that have formed on top.


Transfer to a squeeze bottle and fill in the outline.  Use a toothpick to guide around edges.

Let the cookies sit for 1 hour.


Using a #1 or #2 tip, pipe the spider's eyes in white.

Let the cookies dry overnight.

The next day, mix equal parts of meringue powder and water together.  Set up a "spider leg station" like this:

I use a coffee filter as a funnel to reuse sprinkles/jimmies that have fallen off the cookies.


Time to add the hairy legs!

With a small paintbrush, paint on the meringue powder mixture where you want the sprinkles to stick.  Sprinkle on the chocolate jimmies.

That's it....hairy-legged spiders, ready for Halloween!


{{{This weekend the photography for the book starts...can I tell you how nervous and excited I am?  VERY.  I have a couple fantabulous guest posters lined up for next week.  Just you wait...you are going to love them! }}}

51 comments:

  1. Eww. Uhh I mean cute. But really they are cute. As long as they are of the sugary kind and not the icky real-life kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy and festive too! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! Perfect for Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute spiders! Good luck with the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these!!

    And hypothetically speaking, I think it would make perfect sense for a spider to skip shaving when it's husband was on a business trip.

    I mean, who wants to waste smooth legs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book?! Where have I been? Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute cookies! I can't wait for your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are SO cute! I'm going to have to look around town to see if I can find a cookie cutter like that! Can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaah this totally reminds me of hockey wives who don't shave their legs when their men don't shave their beards during the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO stinking cute!!! You are so creative Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable, and as always, I love your pictures and tutorials. My stuff never quite looks as awesome as yours, but I'm getting there! Thanks for sharing these cute cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so festive, i love it! Looks really impressive without taking a lot of detail. I am a fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally I found a spider I can deal with lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creepy spiders look a lot creepier with hairy legs~perfect for Halloween! I remember that "short shorts" commercial:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They DO, in fact, still make nair. ...and they still use that jingle (in an updated form, of course). So now I have to blame you for getting it stuck in my head. Terrible.
    The cookies, however, look great and would be perfect for a kids' school Halloween party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are super adorable! :) But they do remind me of real hairy leg spiders, which are not adorable at all. So creative! So festive for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing! Sadly we don't get many kids around here trick or treating - all the more reason to make them for me and my partner to eat tho ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are funny. cute cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You get the award {there should be one} for funniest/best post title! :-) These are adorable! Congrats on your book!!!! Enjoy the photography this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. minus the "hairy" statement- these are just adorable. and yes they are for sure girl spiders- probably a Mommy spider who has too many kids to take the time or even have the energy to shave her legs let alone have the desire to shave them for her husband (wait-did I just say that out loud?)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not a fan of spiders, but these are so darn cute that I would even eat them! Your cookies always light up my day and make me smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "who wears short shorts!!!!!"
    Ah.....haha!
    lmho! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha, awesome! I love your 'hypothetical example.' My legs at this moment may be slightly . . . hairy. Even with my husband in town. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you dare wear short, shorts, Nair for short, shorts... Wasn't that about the time of "hot pants"? My favorite was a pair of pink corduroy, and looking back, they were pretty darn cute!

    P.S. - The cookies are pretty darn cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can the jimmies be stuck on when the icing for the legs still wet? If the bodies are pipped, let them half dry, then pipe the legs and sprinkle the jimmies right away, then no need to make extra glue to stick the jimmies on the next day? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  26. How do you change from a tip #2 to #7 when the icing is already in the bag? In my bags the tip is just sitting inside the bag? If you are doing lots of cookies do you find that by the time you are done outlining that it is time for more icing anyway? Then just start a new bag?
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so cute! My boys will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are brilliant, must make them for my spider obsessed little girl!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. haha I used to use Nair! I've switched to Veet though! These spider cookies are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are beautiful done, not to spooky or scary, I could handle that. Thanks Bridget, for sharing your techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just loled in Chick-fil-a...these are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is about the only kind of spider I like! So cute! And I totally remember the Nair jingle as well...

    ReplyDelete
  33. EEK!

    Okay. Not really. :) These are absolutely darling, Bridget (even to someone who despises spiders with every last fiber of her being, and would love to see them completely eradicated).

    A sweet cookie spider, or a super cute one, is the only kind of spider I want anywehre near me. Fortunately, these meet both criteria! :) Can't wait to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was on the Dating Game in the 80's and won 25$ worth of Nair! I also got a shirt that said, "Put on Aviance Night Musk and have an Aviance night!" Love the 80".

    ReplyDelete
  35. love your photographs... if you like you can share them on http://tastingspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are super cute! Love the hairy legs!!!!
    I totally have the Nair jingle in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm not a fan of spiders, but these are just adorable! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Creepy and cute!!! I love those hairy spider cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  39. so funny! I was JUST thinking about these cookies today! You are so clever!! I love these! I really need to make them for Steve! lol

    ReplyDelete
  40. Only you would be able to make spiders look cute! These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi!

    Just stumbled upon your blog and thought I should say it's great! I love your tutorials and the cute cookies you've made. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. So darling! Now I have the Nair song stuck in my head too!! Wish my legs looked that cute hairy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm always looking for cool ways to decorate cupcakes and cookies in a theme. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Still have the song in my head, thanks!

    I'm featuring these tomorrow on my blog tomorrow. www.trilogyedibles.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. We( my family) has made spider cookies before.but these look delious!!!! Love the hairy legs idea!!!!!;) :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover