I'm not an ice cream stylist, nor do I play one on TV.

Let's face it.  I don't take pretty pictures of ice cream.
 
But, please, PLEASE, I beg you...grab your ice cream maker RIGHT NOW and make this ice cream.

{If you don't own and ice cream maker, we'll see what we can do about that later this week.} ;)

Let me introduce you to Nutella Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds.

{I know, I know, Nutella is made with hazelnuts, not almonds, but my hazelnuts tasted funny.  And you know what?  Almonds are always delicious.}

Nutella Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds

1/2 cup blanched, slivered almonds
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (I like Ghiradelli)
1/3 cup dutch-process cocoa powder (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
1 & 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup Nutella

{This ice cream is made with uncooked eggs, so if you feel uneasy about that or are serving to someone with a compromised immune system, try using pasteurized eggs.}

Preheat oven to 350.  Pour the almonds onto a cookie sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes, until lightly toasted.  Set aside.

Place a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering (not boiling) water.  Melt the unsweetened chocolate. Gradually add the cocoa; the mixture may clump up in the whisk...that's ok.  Slowly pour in the milk, whisking with the chocolate mixture until combined and smooth.  Remove from heat and let cool several minutes.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Add the sugar, a little at a time, whisking constantly.  Once all the sugar has been added, whisk 1 minute more.

Add the cream and vanilla; whisk to combine.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and stir.  Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Before transferring to an ice cream maker, remove 1 cup of the mixture into a separate bowl and whisk in the Nutella until smooth. *sigh*

Add this back into the main mixture and stir. Process in an ice cream maker.  About 3 minutes before the freezing cycle is complete, add the toasted almonds.

Once the freezing cycle finishes, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze a few hours to firm up.
 
***Even if you think you don't like Nutella....oh, I know who you are (I'm lookin' at YOU, Amanda), try this ice cream.  Mr. E "doesn't like Nutella" and ate two servings tonight.  The Nutella makes the ice cream super creamy, dreamy and rich.***

Go make it.  I'm serious....GO!

{PS...you need some cake to go with that?  Check out my friend Amy's glorious Chocolate Hazelnut Cake.}
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig