Thursday, August 25, 2011

Good Luck with that.

 
We could all use a little luck, couldn't we?

Starting college,
Job interview,
Moving to a new city,
Losing weight (ok...maybe these aren't the best choice for that)

These horseshoe cookies are really easy...and the flowers can be changed to any color of the rainbow to customize for the recipient.


First, you'll need a horseshoe cookie cutter.  I got mine here.
{I used my "go-to" cookie recipe.}

Next, you'll need all of this:
  • royal icing tinted with AmeriColor Gold, Regal Purple, Bright White, Sky Blue and Leaf Green
  • disposable icing bags
  • couplers and tips: #2, #1 
  • squeeze bottle
  • toothpicks
  • gold luster dust
  • vodka
  • small paintbrush
 
First, outline the horseshoes in gold, using a #2 tip.

Thin the gold icing with water (reserve some of the piping consistency for later), a little at a time, until it is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.

Stir gently with a rubber spatula to pop any large air bubbles that have formed. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.


Fill in the horseshoe with the thinned icing.  Use a toothpick to guide into corners, edges and pop any air bubbles.

Let the cookies sit for 1 hour.

{Will you pretend that you see pictures for the rest of the tutorial?  Oh, good.}

OK...use a #1 tip to pipe "Good Luck" on the cookies.

Use a #2 tip, add flower "dots" in purple.

Use a #1 tip to pipe flowers in white.

Use a #1 tip to pipe small dots in blue.

Use a #1 tip to add leaves in green.

Let the cookies dry overnight.

The next day, apply the luster dust.  You'll need: luster dust, small ramekin, small paintbrush and vodka (or EverClear says the guy at the bakery supply shop....I don't happen to keep EverClear in the house ;)).

Starbucks is optional, but recommended.

Mix up your luster dust with a few drops of the vodka and brush it on. (The alcohol will evaporate, leaving just the gold sheen.)  Add a few drops of vodka to the ramekin as you're working if it starts to get clumpy on you.  A little goes a long way, so don't worry about using all of the container in one shot.  (Here's a video about applying luster dust...)

Now, if you want your cookies to look perfect, apply the luster dust, THEN pipe the flowers.  Those little buggers were hard to get around with the luster dust.  But, I still think they're ok.

Could you use a little luck this week?

43 comments:

  1. Very cute! I think we can all use a little luck in our days.

    Whenever I make cookies, you can still see the outline after they dry, instead of just being one flat surface. Is my piping icing too thick, or my flood icing too thin? Or am I just not flooding enough? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel...you can see the outline on mine, too. Outlines don't bother me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make these for me? Because I feel like you did ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful Bridget! You're a marvel with an icing bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use a little luck this week. Thanks for the offer :) Cute cookies. Love the gold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so clever. It would be such a great housewarming gift I think. Maybe my neighbors will bring me some to my new place! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Starting a weight-loss program with a cookie? Genius! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuteness! I would be the one to give cookies to someone trying to lose weight! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that you have your Starbucks in the photo!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable! I love the little flowers. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same here Cookies and Cups, are these for me? I'm starting a new school a week today and am very nervous.. I may have to make these for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, thank you! I have a job interview in an hour... I hope that these cookies will inspire some luck! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bridget,

    Love the blog! Can you roll out and cut cookies and refrigerate overnight before baking? I'm planning on making the dough tonight and decorating tomorrow and I thought cutting today might speed things up tomorrow. Any thoughts?

    Thx
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great cookies. I need to find a horseshoe cookie cutter. So may occasions to wish *good-luck* and what better way than with a cookie like this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bridget these are gorgeous!!!! I am swooning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are gorgeous! I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those have to be the cutest horseshoes EVER! You are so talented =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. those are too pretty to eat. but I guess I could *force* myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. these cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious!!!! These look so cute. For sure we all can use some good luck and these are the perfect charm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. so cute! also a great idea for Horse Racing Seasonz :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. yes I will take some good luck and a few of these cookies w/ my tea right about now. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think these are totally cute! You could even use then as a snarky gift to give to someone that you might not totally agree with their new choice.. Example: "oh wow you are going to shave your eyebrows off??...ya Good Luck with That..." then present cookie lol!
    Jessica @ oceansidedaydreams.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute horseshoe cookies!! I believe it is a very nice good luck token to give to a loved one. You have a great blog Bridget, I will stay to follow.

    Have a lucky weekend :)

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  25. Elizabeth L in Apex, NCAugust 26, 2011 at 7:47 AM

    Super cute! I need to make some of these... I did make some for a western themed after-play party for my son's class, and used a letter U that I had (didn't have an official horse-shoe) and just pushed the legs of the U together. Worked great!
    P.S. Your writing is just lovely - so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are great and I love the tutorial! Thanks for sharing Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are so creative, girl.

    Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These horseshoe cookies are cute. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I just bought a horseshoe cutter today! They are beautiful cookies, I love the addition of the gold dust.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are the cutest cookies, Bridget. I just love them!

    Impressive that you can drink Starbucks and do cookies at the same time. My hands get shakey if I drink too much caffeine, and then things get really interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea! I never thought of a horseshoe cookie for a party where wishing good luck would be appropriate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your blog makes me happy. So many cute, adorable cookies! Ever time I visit I want to try each and every one! Your comment about giving these as a good luck charm to someone wanting to lose weight made me LOL too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a magnificent work of art. The horse shoe design is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the gold, and the tiny flowers are the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are SO thoughtful!! These could not be more adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I need these, Bridget...Lots of them. I'm late reading and commenting on this post, due to crazy custody battles with the monster I married. I need to make a few dozen of these AND EAT THEM ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I always love your little works of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi! I linked to your post on my blog today!

    http://www.buildingabetterpeach.com/2012/03/vintage-st-patricks-day-recipes.html

    xoxo, Peach

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover