Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Butter, the Wranglers, the Ranch. . . oh my!


 {from top: Flavia, me (hi!), Nina, Amanda, Karen, Sandi, Kristen}
We had a little Pioneer Woman watch party at the Bake at 350 house on Saturday.  You DO know about Ree's new show on Food Network, right?  Right?

What can I say about Ree?  I've been smitten with her blog since the first day I discovered it.  A friend sent me a link, and I started reading, and reading and reading.  Four hours later, I was packing up Mr. E and the kiddo and heading to Oklahoma.  {As Mr. E's job is here in Texas, we decided to stay put.}

So, Ree's show debuted on Saturday and I invited a few friends (and fellow PW fans) over to watch, eat, and cheer Ree on!

It started with food...as it always does around here.

Yes, I got a picture of the menu and not the food.  (psst...those "diet killers" are here.) 
Except for the Nutella Scones...

{More on these later.}


...and a bowl of fruit...ooo, how exciting!

What I loved about the Pioneer Woman show was not only the food...chicken fried steak, decadent mashed potatoes...but the glimpse into ranch life. It looks like a lot of work, but also, a lot of fun....especially if Ree is doing the cooking!

We watched...


And dreamed...


And ate... (did I mention the Nutella?)


Nutella Scones
{slightly modified from the magnificent Baked Explorations}

about 1 cup hazelnuts
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dutch-process cocoa powder (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Nutella, divided

Preheat oven to 350.  Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the papery skins begin to crack and loosen. Rub the hazelnuts with a dish towel to remove most of the skin.  Let cool.  Coarsely chop and set aside.

Increase the oven temp. to 375 and place the rack in the center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add the butter. Use a pastry cutter (or your fingers) to cut the butter into the mixture until the butter is pea size and the mixture is coarse.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and cream. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the dough just comes together. Gently and briefly knead the dough with your hands. Add the 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts and knead gently to incorporate.

Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten the dough into a rectangle approximately 6 by 12" (it does not need to be precise) and spread 1/4 cup of the Nutella on top. Roll the dough up and make a cylinder about 6 inches long, turn it on its end, and gently flatten it into a disk about 1 and 3/4 inches high. Do not overwork the dough.

Use a bench scraper to cut the dough into 8 wedges and place them on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake the scones for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.

Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool completely. Place the baking sheet with the parchment still underneath the rack.

For the topping:
Heat the remaining 1/4 cup Nutella (or add a little more) in a microwave until pourable, about 10-20 seconds on high. Transfer the Nutella to a pastry bag, cut off the tip and drip the warm Nutella in a zigzag pattern over the tops of the scones. The scones are best eaten the day they are made.


 {from top: Flavia, me, Molly (my sister), Nina, Amanda, Sandi, Kristen}

Watch parties with friends?  Highly recommended!
Pioneer Woman's new Food Network show?  My new favorite! I'll be tuning in EVERY week! 

{And I'm pretty sure Mr. E is getting a pair of Wranglers for Christmas.}

51 comments:

  1. This looks like such a fun gathering and what a way to celebrate Ree's show! I love the look of everything, even the heart shaped fruit!!!

    I'm sure Ree's show will be one of those things that won't arrive in Australia for years and years. You guys get the best food shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a WONDERFUl time enjoying the first episode! Loved the menu, those scones look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea to have a viewing party for PW's show on Food Network! Those Nutella Scones look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed her debut on FN and can see why she refers to her husband as "the Marlboro Man." Mmm mmm! Oh and the food she made looked good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have a party! I love Ree too. I also read her blog for hours when I first discovered it! It's so fun she has a show now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and fun way to show support! I've been anticipating her new show and couldn't wait to watch it. I loved seeing the food... and the ranch. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are the cutest & loyal friend. how fun that you through a viewing party. too cute.

    have a super week. those scones...oh my. yum

    xo
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it!
    Look at you cute girls!
    And girlfriend...YOU are ROCKIN' those cowgirl boots!!!
    I totally passed out when I got a glimpse of those red and white chairs!
    EXCUSE me!
    How cute are those chairs!!!
    Your house looks so COZY!
    I'm sure the PW's show will be a HUGE hit!
    I'm even more sure Mr. E will look like one HOT cowboy in his new WRANGLERS! ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your PW party looks like so much fun! You look great in your boots, and so do the flowers:) And the scones~oh my! Too bad I work almost every Saturday when PW's show is on:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun!!! I love PW. I love her posts on food. On photography. On everything!! What a great way to celebrate her and her new show. I remember when the Bachelor (sad, but true story) started, my friends and I (not married, no kids! :)) got together for dinner and wine to watch the show once a week. Now, we're all grown up, and I love your idea of watching Ree's show with all of your friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion this looks like a delicious recipe and i think that it is not so difficult so i will try it very soon. I will post again after i will try it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lookalike u guys truly enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I love Ree's blog (hilarious and genuine), I wasn't too blown away by the show...I felt it was too forced/ acted out.
    Hopefully it was just first-episode jitters and it will get better :)
    Anyway your party sounded like a blast! (Love those Nutella scones!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just want to say only one word for all these.

    AWESOME....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so fun!
    And you had me at Nutella Scones...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bridget, this looks so fun. Your house is adorable, YOU are adorable and those heart shaped cantaloupes are ADORABLE!!!

    Is there anything you do that isn't adorable?!

    Also...I will be waiting anxiously for that scone recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun way to premiere what I'm sure is to be your favourite cooking show! Your menu looked delicious (love your heart-shaped melons)and you really have an eye for decorating. Your home is the perfect reflection of you, very warm and welcoming and fun!
    We don't get Ree's show here in Canada and I'm hoping that it does come to us soon. But, not before you make an appearance on it. I'm thinking one day we really will see you being filmed at the ranch with Ree again, either to do another Christmas Cookie segment or you'll be a guest on her show when your book comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like fun! Glad you reported on it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!! I love it!! Especially the heart shaped fruit. What a perfect touch. I have been so mad at myself since Saturday. I hung signs all over the house "do not bother me on Saturday, I will be busy". Then at 9:00 a.m. my son calls to have me drive him to the hospital.....I was in such a rush, I forgot to set the DVR!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bridget, did you throw the cutest party or what?! I might know a few of those cute gals (maybe from their blogs?) but for certain miss Flavia. She is such a doll, met her at evo this year. Wish we lived closer...to watch wranglers. And Ree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How precious are you? Wow! Does that ever look like FUN! Wish I could have been there with you!

    LOVED Ree's new show! It was as charming, warm & wonderful as she is!


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree... will be tuning in every week! And here is my secret confession... I just adored that her show is more personal. Its MORE then just a gorgeous red head in the kitchen... its got life and family and everything I want to watch!! Next time I am coming to your beautiful party. You and your friends and your treats look wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you had a party for the first episode! So fun!

    I watched it too! It was so fun to have a peek inside her life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gettin' together w/the girls is always a good idea! Lovin' your house! I want those red & white chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. you all are so cute!!! you really get dressed up in texas to watch tv! lol

    I wish I was closer!.....only Bridget would have heart shaped fruit! and you menu board is darling!.....now lets talk about those red boot!! oh so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw the scones and immediately (frantically) starting looking for the link to the recipe. You saved my day by adding it add the end of the post. These will be in the oven for tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bridget, I love your posts! They're so entertaining! Unfortunately we are one of the ten people in America who do NOT have cable, i.e. FoodNetwork (waaaa!) so I can't watch it. :-( Maybe I can find it online? I'll have to check!

    Since my hubby is a Nutella obsessed maniac (he claims it's a perfect "recovery" food after workouts...I'm stealing that excuse) I will have to make these scones.

    This looks like a very fun gathering! Glad you gals had so much fun eating and watching. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well thanks to Irene I missed the debut but will be awaiting it to run again ; ) Until then I'll be drooling over those Nutella Scones

    ReplyDelete
  29. How honored am I to have attended this fun event?! ;) Thank you for hosting such a lovely brunch! Had a blast! xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well aren't you the perfect hostess! A menu board and heart shaped fruit! You all are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fun idea, Bridget! I am loving everything about your menu for the day! And those heart shaped cantaloupe are perfect for a shower or party! Love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fabulous idea for a "watch party"...complete with recipes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. How FUN!! What a great idea. I watched the show with my 2 girls, all still in our PJ's. I think we have a weekly date!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's a fact that heart-shaped fruit tastes better! And oh to live in Texas!! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a fun idea. I wish I lived closer to I could come!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved the show too - I loved that it seemed to have a narrative, wasn't strictly a "recipe" show. Ree and her family are totally engaging and I have already watched it twice (LOVE my DVR!)

    Fun idea for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I guess you could say my husband and I had a private little "watch party." Not quite as fun as yours looks but we LOVED the show. Looks like you and your girlfriends had a great time! Can't wait for next week's episode ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. We watched it here! We'll be watching it next week too! Loved your photos of the cowboy boots.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks like I missed a great party and love the red boots! Swoon! I missed last week's episode but the recorder is set for this weekend to prevent any other mishaps. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Made the scones this morning! They are rich and indulgent. The nutella drizzled on top is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fun party! I snuck in some time to watch the show in between the hurricane tracking on CNN and The Weather Channel. So fun! Plus, those Nutella Scones look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have the series Tivo'd and can't wait for next Saturday. I love her and am so intrigued by her whole life on the ranch. It doesn't hurt that the Marlboro Man is just gorgeous! :-)..

    ReplyDelete
  43. omg those nutella scones. they look freaking awesome!! Too bad im not a fan of nutella (please don't hate me) I think im gonna make these with my dark chocolate almond butter though!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh I KNOW! She's so awesome! I wish I was her! Then I remember that I AM! Oh My GOODNESS is it ever FUN to be ME!

    ReplyDelete
  45. yummy these look amazing I think that I will make them today mmmm

    Check out my food blog
    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. "If you were in a dessert competition, what would you make?"
    I would make mini cupcakes, they're petite and delicious(:

    ReplyDelete
  47. Those Nutella scones are calling my name!! I am going to have to make those!

    Also, LOVE those chairs in your living room/den! Did you buy them somewhere or did you have them aphostered? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a fun day!! And such yummy treats!!

    Gotta love PW and any reason to get together with friends and eat good food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I just made the Nutella scones. Awesome! Thanks for making my Labor Day morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover