Monday, June 6, 2011

Kiwi & Strawberry Sorbet Parfaits

{Have you heard of Kitchen Play? Each month Kitchen Play hosts a unique Progressive Party with six food bloggers assigned one of the following courses: cocktail, amuse bouche, salad, appetizer/soup, entrée and dessert. This month, I have dessert!}

Recently, I started adding something new to my grocery list.  Kiwi...or kiwifruit.  I'm not sure why it wasn't a regular in our fruit drawer because I always love eating it in fruit salads and on fruit pizza.  Kiddo and Mr. E love them, too.

Let me show you a little something special you can do with your kiwis.  And I'm going to be honest here...even though this is technically dessert, I ate it for lunch twice this week.  It's such a refreshing treat on a hot day!


Kiwi & Strawberry Sorbet Parfaits

Sorbet:
{modified from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book}

1 c. sugar
3/4 c. water
4 Zespri kiwifruit
1 c. sliced strawberries
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp vanilla

Parfaits:
whipped cream or whipped topping
chopped Zespri kiwifruit
chopped strawberries
sliced and toasted almonds

Make the sorbet:

Heat the sugar and water over low heat in a small saucepan.  Stir until the sugar dissolves.   Raise the heat and boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Peel and quarter the kiwi.  Halve the strawberries.  Combine the fruit, cooled sugar syrup, lemon juice and vanilla in a blender on low speed.  Blend until smooth.  Refrigerate several hours, until cold.


Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.  Transfer to a freezer-safe container, pressing plastic wrap down onto the top of the sorbet.  Freeze a few hours until it becomes more firm.

For the Parfaits:

Place one scoop of sorbet in each glass. Top with whipped cream/topping, then chopped fruit and toasted almonds.  Repeat 2 more times.

What is your favorite way to eat kiwi?
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
{This post was sponsored by KitchenPlay & Zespri Kiwifriut.  Wanna check out the other courses?  Come on over!} 
 Each month Kitchen Play also features a contest to involve as many additional bloggers as possible. Visit the Contest page at Kitchen PLAY for more details on how you could win $100 for trying this recipe and posting about it.

25 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you..... that' a perfect recipe, ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous for summer! Love this Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect summer treat. So light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now if this doesn't cool you off I don't know what will. Looks delicious Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GREAT for a summer tea party!! I have a link up on Tuesdays called Tea Party Tuesday this would be a fun addition. YUM and CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two of my very favorite fruits! This sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and perfect for this crazy Texas heat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a refreshing combo with the kiwi, strawberries and lemon! I'm feeling the need to get to the store and grab some so I too can enjoy such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. one of my favorite combinations of foods EVER!!! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so refreshing! I think I may have to invest in an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love kiwi and eat it all the time, but I think I'm allergic. Every time I eat it, it makes my throat/mouth itch a little. Hmm.

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fabulous! I happen to have some kiwi that need to be used...looks like I will be making some sorbet! Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect for summer! I'm loving the kiwi and strawberry combination. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok. YUM. so perfect for summer. i have to try this! Love the outdoor pic, i wish i had a backyard!

    www.tcupcakediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum!! Sorbet is such a refreshing treat on a hot summer day. I love kiwi, too. I throw it in my bowls of Greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE kiwi and strawberries, definitely trying this soon! It'd be perfect for this hot weather!

    @Amy - I also have an oral allergic reaction to kiwi, it's a cross-reaction from one of the tree pollens I'm allergic to (which is most of them, lol... unfortunately we live in the #1 allergy city in the US!) The kiwi reaction should get better as outdoor allergy season ends. I just take my antihistamine on days I want to eat kiwi - problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, this sounds so good, specially during our Florida hot summers. I would even go out of a limb and make it an ice cream... but, I'm going to bookmark this one and totally click on TODO!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We never played with kiwi when I was a culinary school student (I wrote about it here, if you're interested: "Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood" http://amzn.to/eOKJWw - on Amazon Kindle). But I used it all the time at home - such as refreshing flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Salivating is such a yucky word, but that pretty much sums it up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the combination of strawberry and kiwi. This looks absolutely divine and right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my favorite way to eat Kiwi?? straight up w/a spoon! slice fruit in half, then scoop out the fruit w/a spoon - doesn't get any better than that . . . well except for THIS GORGEOUS PARFAIT!! oh Bridget . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my - yum!!! Must.make.this.sorbet. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds perfect! Hmmm....wonder if it would work with mangos...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh WoW! This looks GREAT!! And I have all the ingredients in my frig right now. Thanks to Lisa@Stop and Smell the Chocolate for putting this out there on FB.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover