Thursday, June 23, 2011

Desserts for Dudes : Caramel Banana Shortcakes

 
Is it just the men in my family, or do the men in your family love desserts with fruit?

These caramel banana shortcakes are easy, delicious...and a little less "girly" than a strawberry shortcake. Plus there's no line of dolls called "Caramel Banana Shortcake."

There's a cinnamon-buttermilk shortcake, split in two, filled with warm banana-studded caramel sauce, and topped with a brown sugar whipped cream. Yeah, it's good.

Wanna make 'em for your dude?

Caramel Banana Shortcakes
{adapted from an ancient edition of the Dallas Morning News, makes 6}

shortcakes:

2 and 1/3 c. buttermilk baking mix
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. milk (plus more if needed)
1/2 c. mashed banana
1 TBSP melted butter

filling:
16 ounces caramel sauce/topping
2-3 medium bananas, sliced

brown sugar whipped cream:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 425.

Place a mixer bowl and attachment in the freezer. 

Stir together the baking mix, cinnamon, milk, bananas and melted butter.  Add more milk a tablespoon at a time, if needed, until the dough comes together.  (The dough will be sticky.)

Turn the dough out on a surface coated with baking mix.  Knead 10 times and pat into a 1/2 thick disc.  Cut with a 3-inch circle cookie cutter, pull away the excess dough to make picking the biscuits up off the counter easier. (Dip the cookie cutter in baking mix to prevent sticking.) Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until done.  Remove to a cooling rack and let cool 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, warm the caramel sauce over low heat.  A few minutes before assembling the shortcakes, gently stir in the sliced bananas.

Make the whipped cream by beating the cream and brown sugar in the chilled bowl.  Beat on high just until stiff peaks form.


Split the shortcake in half.  Place the bottom half on a plate, cover with the banana-caramel sauce.  Top with the second shortcake half and dollop on the whipped cream.  Drizzle on a bit of caramel sauce.  Enjoy!

 
What desserts do your dudes love?

43 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks simply amazing! And simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, hello?!?! That is something magical! And did you say brown sugar whipped cream?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please!

    ... and I'm not even a dude.


    But I'll eat a pound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart shaped measuring cup! Awesome! We need a little bit of love everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely a dessert my hubby would love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of this dessert and the shortcakes themselves sound delicious with banana and cinnamon in them! My husband would really enjoy this dessert but he may just have to fight me for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I'm hoping to make it soon, my sister will be having her baby anytime now and I think it would be a great hospital snack :) That and she also thought it looked amazing, now I just have to find some way to transport it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dude loves German Chocolate cake. But mostly the frosting part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok with this my husband would get NONE....yum I love bananas...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, my hubby would LOVE this! *bookmarking*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those shortcakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I love you. I want to eat this right now, but I think I would rather you made it for me. Why? Because you made it with LOVE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, this looks and sounds amazing! My kids would flip over this...it's a must make soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing!
    I have got to make that brown sugar whipped cream. Sounds so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. caramel banana Cakes are really delicious. This recipe is always like by the unique guys who loves to implementing new ideas while cooking..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have totally played with Caramel Banana Shortcake dolls...she seems way cooler than Strawberry Shortcake!

    You had me at brown sugar whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why wait for dessert? I'm thinking we can do this as breakfast :) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let's just dig into these bad boys right now, okay? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Add a chocolate sauce and this turns into a treat I can't resist either!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are totally and completely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a list of comments. First of all, if you dont quit making real desserts and not JUST cookies, my hubby's going to start making me make real dessert, LOL. Second, that pic with the brown sugar in the mixing bowl, WAY cool. Third, I envy your neighbors a tad. Fourth, I am hungry...Fifth, this is why folks think ur such a cool gal {glad you understand Texan} THUMBS UP!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you are speaking my language today B!!! I'm drooling here and wondering why I've never thought of a banana shortcake?......and caramel sauce OH MY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh you are incredible! I am pretty sure my guy will just "wow" when I put him in front of one of these. They look delicious. As always excellent recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! This looks like something I would enjoy! My husband prefers anything in the shape of a cookie for his "guy treat"

    ReplyDelete
  25. This *dudette* sure does love the look of these little yummers!

    I'm sure that my dude will too! That is if I decide to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. SUCH a great idea! My husband loves strawberry shortcake but can no longer eat strawberries. I told him about this dessert and he is totally on board for this alternative. =D Thanks for sharing!
    AngieN24

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know my husband would love this dessert:) Me too! He really loves chocolate though, especially chocolate mousse.
    Your two dudes are very lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Do you have a heart shaped measuring spoon!? That's cool! I love the look of this! It looks awesome! You should make a desserts for dudettes topic because I would love your recipe for Strawberry Shortcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are my heroine in so many ways! First of all that brown sugar whipped cream will be in my belly soon. Second well isn't that heart shaped measured sugar so cute? Finally I must have been a texan in a past life! Lol! I heart you and also my very best friend and mentor in college was a texan who tought me how to get around in the kitchen like nobody's business. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Omgee~zee!
    Mr. E and Kiddo are so lucky!
    LOVE caramel!
    Greg would LOVE to be spoiled like this!
    Good for you Girlie!
    Keep those BOYS happy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dudes and pregnant ladies like me:) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bridget my friend, there really are special places in heaven for people like you . . . jewels in your crown, robes of royal purple velvet and red carpet grandness . . . just hope i'm there with you cuz i dearly want some of this goodness . . .

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gingerbread is my favorite dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I made this! For a late father's day bbq...it rocked everyone's faces off :) I especially loved the brown sugar whipped cream--YUUMMM

    Thanks! You roCK!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Tiramisu!! Is my favorite and my specialty. It's been know to ruin tiramisu for all others but mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Did you say cinnamon-buttermilk shortcakes? I'm a dude and I sure would enjoy if my wife made me some of these. I'm going to tweet, stumble and facebook this recipe for my wife to get the hint : ).

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would say "every dude but my husband!"... He hates banana, I can't even buy them cos if he smells them he gets almost sick :( I know, that's weird.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover