Friday, May 13, 2011

Hello, Dreamy . . .

 
It's been one of those kinds of weeks as far as baking goes.  I tried my hand at 2 "fancy" recipes.  Fancy as in candy thermometer.  Fancy as in I tried both recipes TWICE and neither worked. 

I really just wanted a cookie. A regular ol' buttery, delicious, chewy, comforting cookie.

So, I made some. 

You know those 7-layer bars with the coconut, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, etc.?  We grew up calling them 7-Layer Cookies, but I know in some parts of the country, they're also known as Hello Dollys.  Since these have some of the same flavors, I'm calling them, "Hello Dreamys."  And they ARE dreamy.


Hello Dreamy Cookies
{based on the essential chewy chocolate chip cookies from the King Arthur Flour's Cookie Companion}

3/4 c. salted butter
2/3 c. dark brown usgar
2/3 c. sugar
2 TBSP corn syrup
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 eggs
1 TBSP pure vanilla
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 and 1/4 c. unbleached flour
1 and 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. butterscotch chips
1/2 c. shredded sweetened coconut

Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment and preheat over to 375.

Cream the butter, sugars, corn syrup and vinegar.  Beat in both eggs.  Add the vanilla, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; beat until combined.

Stir in the flour, chips and coconut.

Scoop the cookie onto the prepared pans with a 2 TBSP cookie scoop, or mounding 2 tablespoonfuls of dough for each cookie.  Bake for 10-12 minutes; the edges will be set and centers may seem a bit underdone.  Leave on the sheet for 1-2 minutes and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Enjoy! 
Doesn't a warm from the oven cookie (or three) make everything better?


Oh, and do be sure to pop on over to Kevin and Amanda's blog today!  Amanda is doing the COOLEST thing with BLOGGER FONTS....yes, fonts from actual blogger's handwriting (including my chicken scratch)...and has a link where you can contribute to help with the tornado relief in Alabama and surrounding areas.

42 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I'd totally eat the entire batch :) Curious about what didn't work with the candy thermometer? I just got a new one and my candies have vastly improved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could eat a whole batch of these bad boys right by myself! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I think my favorite pic is the plate with nary a cookie left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look and sound dreamy to me :) Great name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always called those Magic Bars. Perhaps because they had magic powers. As in magically made me get rounder. Cookies look delish and can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the title I thought FOR SURE there was going to be a picture of that Jon guy you love.;)

    Gotta tell ya, I am so happy you had these cookies instead!! LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omgosh these look amazing! i'll have to make them and then give them away so i dont eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to turn those 7 layer bars into a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, do we all know those weeks! Nothing that a batch of these lovelies wouldn't remedy! :) Love that you turned magic bars into cookies! Brilliant! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! I wish it weren't too hot to turn on the oven today :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, I love these in bar form, and can only imagine how the flavors come together in a cookie. And the name is very fitting. Although, what cookie isn't dreamy?!

    PS - Thanks again for your recommendation on Breadwinners in Dallas, I'm still in awe of how delicious it was!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cookies do sound oh-so-dreamy! And, I love your handwriting; it's lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think those will beat out the bars in my book! Yum! They look delicious! (I may consume a batch or so of those this weekend...because I'm pregnant and the baby "needs" these!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. these look INSANE! ahh i feel like i need to make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its not you...those thermometers NEVER work right, B...;-) almost cowboy cookies to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious, love the coconut in the mix. They wouldn't last long around here but I sure as heck would feel wonderful for awhile.

    Great idea Kevin and Amanda had. You do not have *chicken scratch* hand-writing by the way. Good of you and all the other bloggers to have participated in this relief effort.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have a personal name for these type of cookies, but they do look dreamy! Love that last shot. Nothin' but crumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in such a cookie mood! I think I could eat at least 4 of these right now with a big glass of milk! Dreamy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh I NEED one today!! Those look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy, these look like the best cookies ever. "Dreamy" is the right word.

    ReplyDelete
  21. mmmm... coconut and chocolate, my new favorite combination! I am sorry to hear that the cc did not turm out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes I love cookies straight from the oven and these would be eaten up immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic recipe idea -- we love Hello Dollies and I bet will also love her cousin Hello Dreamy!

    Thanks for more reason to hit the treadmill ;-) J

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll take one....or 4, however many you're willing to give me actually! Love 7 layers bars and in cookie form..it's a no brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello My Sweet DREAMY Friend!
    I really need to get that King Arthur Cooking Companion!
    These look YUM!
    And with cold milk...oh my GEE~ZEE!
    I know that coconut gives them the perfect little punch!
    Everything you make is perfecto!
    Mr. E and Kiddo are so LUCKY!
    And I am too...having you as a FRIEND is the best! ;o)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't often leave comments, BUT, when I saw the last picture of the empty plate with just a few crumbs, (I would have licked a finger and gotten those, too!) I had to write. Having that picture at the end of the piece put the "Dreamy" in "Hello, Dreamy..."!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those look yummy! And I saw the fonts.. SO FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Olá passei para conhecer seu blog e gostei muito de suas receitas. Já sou sua seguidora, se desejar venha me conhecer também, será muito bem vida. Um abraço, Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made these last night! They are even better today than right out of the oven because all the flavors came together. They are fantastic!!! Thanks! I just found your blog from a link from Brown Eyed Baker. Great recipes, I can't wait to try more!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These sound PERFECT!!! All my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i'm not much of a cook or a baker, but these look and sound delicious. i might have to give them a try :) so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love those bars! In cookie form I can only imagine them being even more delicious :) Definite comfort food to fix mishaps. Good luck with the thermometer...you are braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree, fresh warm cookies always make everything right in the world. And they beat the heck out of the fancy jobbies when you just want some homemade comfort. These look super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've been meaning to give that recipe a try for a while... They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think we used to call those bars "Magic Bars" though I have no idea why. 7 layers sounds a lot more like what they are... maybe we just thought they were magical!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for this recipe, it is just incredibly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Baking them as we speak. Dough is delicious, cookies smell even better! So easy and fun...I approve.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover