Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mint Cream Cheese Brownies


Still deciding what to make for a St. Patrick's Day dessert?  May I suggest....Mint Cream Cheese Brownies?

Not only are they fudgey, minty, rich and delicious....the recipe makes TWO!  Perfect for spreading some St. Patrick's Day cheer!

Mint Cream Cheese Brownies
{adapted from both the King Arthur Flour Catalog & The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion}

For the brownies:

1 c. dutch-process cocoa
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 & 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 c. sugar
1 TBSP. vanilla
3 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. roughly chopped Andes mints, divided

For the mint cream cheese:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 TBSP. sugar
1 TBSP. flour
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. cream or milk
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
green food coloring (AmeriColor Leaf Green)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease two 8" round pans.

Combine the cocoa, salt and baking powder, set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.  Turn off the heat; add the sugar and stir to combine.  Return to the heat until it's hot again, but not bubbling.

Remove from heat.  Stir in the cocoa mixture. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in the flour and set aside.

Make the cream cheese mixture: beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth and combined.  Add the yolk, cream/milk, extract and one or two drops of green food coloring.  Beat until smooth.
 
{Make sure to get PEPPERMINT extract; mint extract is typically spearmint flavored.}

Assemble: Spoon out about half of the brownie batter, dividing between the prepared pans.

Scatter 1/2 c. of the chopped Andes mints on each.  Cover with the remaining batter.  (Use an offset spatula to spread.)

Fill a piping bag with the cream cheese mixture and top each brownie in a decorative design.

{Next time, I will just dollop it on and swirl it a bit with a toothpick. I did one polka dot and one shamrock.  The shamrock looked like this before baking:}

{...and separated like this after it cooled.  Oops.}

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges had started to pull away from the sides.  Cool completely on a cooling rack before removing from the pans.

Now, I was trying to get a "beauty shot" of one slice on a plate.  It looks like a pterodactyl head to me!

Happy, happy St. Patrick's Day to you...and you...and YOU!  Cheers!

49 comments:

  1. Why aren't these brownies in my kitchen?! They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! But it is a beautiful pteradacktl! YUM! ♥- Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! This looks amazing!! Why have I never thought to bake brownies in a round pan? Mint chocolate-- yum-O! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! It looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This looks REALLY yummy. I can almost taste them!

    I shared your Kiss Me, I'm Irish cookies on my blog today. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad the shamrock didn't work out, but these still look super delicious! Love that it makes two, one for work, one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Love these - I don't love brownies (I know) but I love mint/chocolate combos. I absolutely love Andes mints - they're probably one of my favorite candies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Day! Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! This sounds absolutely heavenly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't think I didn't see those ADORABLE vintage napkins!
    This is PASS~OUT worthy!
    But I don't have time to PASS~Out...gotta go walk!
    ONLY you my dear!
    ONLY you!
    You forgot to say:
    WHISK the eggs with a CUTE PINK~HAPPY whisk!!!!!!
    Can't wait to use mine!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well these look just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these will be GOOOOOD! And they're pretty too. I wish I'd seen this before I went to the store so I could make them RIGHT NOW. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and became a follower! Love your blog! :) Erin

    www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, really fudgey, just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an incredible recipe! You've really taken the St Patick's Day theme and run with it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like to be alone with that pan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so creative. I love Andes mints but only seem to find them at Christmas time. Love that you baked these in a round pan. A slice of this would keep me happy until Easter.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day to you Miss Bridget :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute! The shamrock was such a fantastic idea too - bummer that it didn't stick together. Even so, the polka-dots were pretty rockin' as well!

    And I LOL'd at the "pterodactyl head." Only you, Bridget - only you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. oooh two of my favorite things in one delicious treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mint cream cheese sounds very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your beauty shot.. and the whole thing!! NOMNOMNOM Cant wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh YUM!!
    So many different options here!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maybe we'll do a belated St. Patrick's Day celebration with this - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look delicious!! Love :) And I think your shamrock is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there, I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog! I posted one of your old recipes on my blog, linked straight to yours, your site, and the cookbook it came from. I hope this is alright! Although I'm a relatively seasoned blogger, I'm new to the food blogging world! All the best,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy St. Patty's Day! I am drooling on the keyboard, I adore mint and chocolate!! Also, I just found a bag of those pre-chopped Andes Mints in the cupboard--can't wait to make these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK I NEED those brownies NOW!!! YUM

    love that you made them in a round pan too.

    funny, I have a brownie recipe going up later today....

    ReplyDelete
  28. My daughter was watching over my shoulder as I was reading your post. Now I guess I need to pick up some Andes mints - she's holding me to it! Beautiful - I love them in the round pan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chocolate and mint are like my favorite flavor combo ever. I totally lolled at "pterodactyl head" - it DOES!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yet another great way to expand my choices at breakfast ;-) 'Twas Goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  31. corrr these look so moreish! love the contrast of mint and chocolate, and baking in a round tin is definately the best way, everyone gets a bit of gooey centre!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy st.patrick's day! Those brownies look sooooo fudgy!!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These look sooo good! And even though the shamrock broke up after baking, it still looks delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the polka dotted brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the polka dots, how cute! And of course mint and chocolate are always delicious together

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a pretty dessert! Sounds delicious, too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. wooww, these look delicious!! and so cute and festive.

    i think the shamrock still looks good afterward :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those have to be the pretties brownies I have ever seen
    1 I am somewhat crazy about polka dots so that might explain it. I can't wait to try this recipe - won't be able to wait till next St. Patty's day for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a fun minty cake! Love the idea of peppermint cream cheese and chocolate. A most fabulous decadent treat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. NOw THAT is creative! And oh soooo CHOCOLATY!!! Excellent job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. OH MY! i just love the chocolate and mint combo. what could be better?

    i love your blog! mine is in its beginning stages and not nearly as pretty!!!! :(

    marykate
    www.darlingdomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. These look amazing! I need some of these in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my that looks so good. This morning I had the same thought about some chocolate cookies I make and stuffing them with something similar! Ha! I made Double Chocolate Stout cupcakes/Irish Cream Buttercream for my St Patty's day post. These look to die for! Might just have to celebrate St Pattys again!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my that looks so good. This morning I had the same thought about some chocolate cookies I make and stuffing them with something similar! Ha! I made Double Chocolate Stout cupcakes/Irish Cream Buttercream for my St Patty's day post. These look to die for! Might just have to celebrate St Pattys again!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Goodness, all of your creations are amazing! You are so talented =)

    ReplyDelete
  46. These look amazing! Even though St Patty's Day is over, I still have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Are you kidding me??!!!!! OMGOSH, I just about fell off my chair! :D This looks incredible!! My Husband and I LOVE mint and I cannot wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. they sound great but the green looks like mold to me :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover