Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gingerbread Dudes, Gals & Pups, plus *the best* gingerbread cookie recipe

 
EVERY year, I say I'm going to make gingerbread cookies more often.  And every year, I forget. But I'm making these again next week (and quite possibly the next week and the next).
I'm going to beg you....MAKE THESE COOKIES!  They are some of my favorite cookies ever....soft, chewy, spicy...delicious!
I had a little too much fun making these.  The gingerbread dudes and gingerbread gals were just decorated with a bit of royal icing.
Was it wrong to start pairing off the gingerbread couples? It's like eHarmony for cookies over here. 
{Sign you've spent too much time with your cookies? You start staring at the gingerbread girl wishing you had her outfit.}

Here's a little trick for making hair from Martha:
Use a garlic press (this is the only thing I ever use mine for). Just fill it with dough and....
.....squeeze. 

These gingerbread scotties could not be easier.  A little collar, a little spring of holly...voila! Gingerbread Scottie Dog.
Here is the recipe.  I'm going to go out on a limb and call it the BEST GINGERBREAD COOKIE recipe I've ever found.  (I can say that because it's not my recipe, it's from the Southern Living Incredible Cookies cookbook.)

{{update 2012: while I still *love* this recipe, I developed a NEW one that I love even more for my book Decorating Cookies.  It's spicy & chewy, but with a smoother top for decorating.  I think you'll love it.  Click the link to go to the book.}}

Gingerbread Cookies
(modified from Southern Living Incredible Cookies)

1/4 c. water
1 & 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. molasses
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
5 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1 & 1/2 TBSP ground ginger
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 & 1/2 tsp. cinnamon


Line baking sheets with parchment.

Stir together the water and baking soda until dissolved. Stir in the molasses; set aside.

Beat butter & sugar until fluffy and combined.

Whisk together flour, salt and spices.


Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the molasses mixture. Begin and end with the flour. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350.


On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a floured cookie cutter and place on baking sheet. Freeze for 5 minutes before baking. {They are going to spread.}

Bake 10- 12 minutes (for a large shape). Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating with royal icing.
    
 What are you waiting for?!?  Go make 'em!!

59 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I was planning on making gingerbread cookies tomorrow, thanks for sharing the best recipe ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw haha they look super cute! They look really delicious & chewy too, thanks for the recipe(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are definitely by far the most fashionable gingerbread men and girls I've ever seen!! Sooooooo cute♥

    xoxo
    Ai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, those look so cute! I found your blog through PW and love and want to make everything on it!!! I put baking stuff on my Christmas wishlist and my husband thinks I'm a little nutty...probably because I never bake:) But what can I say, I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so cute!!! Love the smell of gingerbread, bet your home smells so good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these, I really want to work on my cut out cookies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect, I have been searching for a good gingerbread cookie recipe! I have added this to my list this week :D It's going to be a cookie factory over here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *really* hope these are for NEIGHBOR GIFTS.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, get out! That hair making trick is too cool! Love those ginger-pups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are too cute! Great tip about the hair/garlic press! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So darn cute! Love the little guy in what looks like Lederhosen and the little gal with the red heels on! The Scottie dogs are adorable in their simplicity.
    I have a favourite gingerbread recipe too but I'm always up for something new. This one looks wonderful and definitely one I'll try. Every recipe I've ever made from your site has never failed me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA that was cute! have a wonderfully blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG these guys are so cute!! Love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi bridget!
    these are super cute! you are a master & very creative!
    & thanks for the martha tip…very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Utterly cute and thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cutest gingerbread cookies i have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are just TOO cute!!...... and I love all the "couples" haha

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.....I really want to squeeze in gingerbread cookies yet this year!....wanna come help?

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are the best!!! Mike and I both fought Mac for the rest of his!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yea! i was looking for a recipe and saw MS's and hers had too many freezing steps..made me not even want to attempt them for the kids...

    can't wait to whip these up pronto!

    only problem...don't want to eat the cute ppl! haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO CUTE, Bridget! Love the variety, and the red/white!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband is a gingerbread fanatic, and these are just too adorable NOT to make! I am feeling forced to make them!!!! We will be munching on these for Christmas, yay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bridget, I made this very gingerbread recipe this week and confirm, it's the best. Extra spicy and little to no spread when baked. Thanks for the great idea on the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's like eHarmony for cookies over here.

    Seriously laughed out loud.

    Love it all!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sooo Cute and they look super easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so adorable! Yesterday my son and I made a batch of Gingerbread Play Dough and now we're ready to make the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute! I love gingerbread cookies! Thanks for a great recipe. Happy Holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE them all so much!!! Each one so cute in their unique way!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have SOOOO been needing a gingerbread recipe, so I am all over this.

    Also, the white dress with the red stripe was my personal favorite!! SOOO cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum, yum, yum! All this week I've been hunting down recipes for Christmas parties. This will be perfect, Bridget! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute Bridget!Love the idea of a garlic press to make the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely adorable Bridget - and using a garlic press for the hair? BRILLIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm not a gingerbread fan, but these make me want to try it again! Scary-I was coupling them up too :) Maybe fashion design is in your future too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those are about as cute as cute can be!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those are AWESOME!!! I don't see any CHOCOLATE on them though! :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, they're adorable! I love your gingerbread girl's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am going to try this recipe out tomorrow! I love gingerbread and have been looking for a good recipe for nice, chewy cookies. YUM! How many cookies does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  37. How adorable! I was planning to try your royal icing with my gingerbread cookies this year, but now I am going to use your recipe, as well. Wish me luck! Royal icing and I typically don't get along.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are the most fabulous looking gingerbread cookies I've ever seen! I love them, Bridget!!!

    And yes, her outfit is completely enviable. I'm with ya on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  39. They are very fetching!! I am going to try making them tomorrow...I can't wait to be a fashion designer for the day!!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOVE these and the garlic press idea is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are absolutely adorable!! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I LOVE these! My daughter wants to make gingerbread people in the worst way, and I had a couple flopped attempts. I'll have to give this a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  43. YUM! Besides sounding delicious (soft, chewy, spicy??) these cookies are adorable! I'm featuring you on my blog today & linking back to this recipe. I'm a follower now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. My daughter, niece, and I made these and you're right about how good they are! We also piped some cute little outfits on them, which makes them even "funner." I'm really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  45. There is nothing wrong in pairing gingerbread couples. They are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very cute cookies! I love the "eHarmony for cookies"...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  47. My 8yr old daughter and I made these for Santa (and for us of course). We don't quite have the hang of using royal icing yet, but they were super yummy and made alot!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I agree - this is the best gingerbread recipe I have ever used. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Nothing says Christmas like the sights and smells of gingerbread cookies. Yours are as cute as always.
    Love the red and white theme.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey! sorry if my question is silly but... What's the purpose of adding water to the baking soda? Is it different when the baking soda is simply added to the dry ingredients?
    Btw your cookies look awesome :D they have style
    Greetings from Mexico ^^

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Bridget! You have THE BEST gingerbread cookie dough EVER...so awesome that I want to make it in spring :) I know this recipe makes a lot of dough, do you know if its ok to freeze? I know I could cut the batch in 1/2 but what about freezing??
    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover