Saturday, September 25, 2010

Spa Sweets : Chocolate Banana Muffins

What's the first thing you think of when you think of going to a spa?  Food, right?
I know, it's strange, but when I think of spas, my mind wanders to thoughts of "spa cuisine" (especially if it involves the HERSHEY SPA)!

So, when Chevy sent a friend and me to the spa for 1-hour massages, my mind naturally went to Chocolate Banana Muffins.  Lori from Recipe Girl (love!) featured a recipe from The Rancho La Puerta Cookbook , Chocolate Banana Bread last year and it's delicious!

I changed it up just a bit and made Chocolate Banana Muffins.  They may just be the unhealthiest, healthy muffins you've ever eaten.  No added sugar...except for the chocolate chips and banana chips, and well, the sprinkling of sugar on top.

They also have a secret ingredient: PRUNES!

Spa Chocolate Banana Muffins
{adapted from Recipe Girl &The Rancho La Puerta Cookbook }

10 oz. pitted dried prunes
2 c. water
1 c. minus 1 TBSP all-purpose (or WHITE whole wheat) flour
1/2 c. dutch-process cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
2 eggs
1/2 c. chocolate-covered banana chips (or reg. banana chips)
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghiradelli)
sparkling or sanding sugar (optional)

Combine the prunes and water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce to a simmer  and cook for 20 minutes.  Drain.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350.  Butter 12 cups of a muffin tin.  If you are really paranoid like me, line the bottoms of the muffin cups with a small circle of parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda.  Set aside.

Process the prunes and bananas in a food processor until smooth.  Add eggs and process until combined.

Stir the prune mixture into the flour until combined. Add in the banana chips and chocolate chips.  Spoon into prepared muffin cups.  Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.

Bake 16-20 minutes until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed.  Cool on a cooling rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.  Enjoy!




{And thank you, Chevy, for the massage! }

42 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness gracious. Those look scrumptious, prunes and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, that looks rich...really, really rich - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! They come out incredibly dark, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! Unsure about the prunes though.. but if i can't taste them then that's okay too(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so dark and rich looking! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness!
    Chevy must ADORE Bridget!
    Just like I DO! ;o)
    They sent you to a SPA!!!!!
    OMGoodness!
    I have never heard of chocolate covered bananas!
    Omgoodness!
    Why am I always saying OMGoodness when I pop into your world?
    I'm down with a terrible sore throat and aches and cole!
    I do not like being sick!
    This is not like me!
    I've missed popping over here!
    These muffins look scrumptious!
    Yum~ola!
    Love you Sweetie!
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so yummy! love the super dark color :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a unique recipe! i do like prunes (is that weird?) so this looks really really intriguing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Between bananas and prunes, I think I can justify these as a breakfast food :) But I might just like any excuse to include chocolate in my breakfast! A spa trip with one of these muffins sounds heavenly...you and Chevy both rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have thought to use prunes. You have me curious now darlin'. So glad that you were able to have a nice massage :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look good! Never would have thought that they have prunes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look absolutely delectable... I think it's spa time for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prunes?!? You know how I love a secret ingredient and all...
    I will have to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG these sound WONDERFUL!!

    I add a little chocolate to my banana bread........never thought of adding a little banana to chocolate muffins!!.....OH MY......what if you added just a little peanut butter too?.......oooooo, I. MAY. TRY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so wrong to slip prunes in there.

    So.wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at Banana & Chocolate. These are definitely next on my "attempt to bake" list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at Chocolate & Banana. These are definitely next on my "attempt to bake" list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look SO good! I love the prunes in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These, my dear, look almost too good to be true!! Yummy and rich looking.

    Love the fact that they include prunes. Just because it would be fun to tell my husband after he already ate one.
    Hee hee!!

    Happy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. woowie! Those looks really fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spa food is the best! But I have never been to one that served up anything that even remotely looked this good. I want to eat it right off the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd personally leave out the prunes but the rest I could see myself making here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great way for incorporating fruit into your diet. Plus, who can resist chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look dark and delicious. Anything with banana and chocolate has to be good for you. The prunes are a nice healthy bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made a cake with prunes and it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made a cake with prunes and it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am one of those people that love prunes-err-I mean dried plums,and in muffins...oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Did someone say HERSHEY SPA??!! Oh, I miss that town! :)
    I am loving this recipe and can't wait to try it. I actually love prunes and have never tried them w/ chocolate...I don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love prunes, so I imagine this to be a dy.no.mite combination! :)

    You are so cute girl!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Que maravilla!!!, me has impresionado!!!!
    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love prunes and I'm not an old person. :) I'm not a chocolate fan though. ::sigh:: They do look good, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bridget, can I come over and just smell your house. Just smell. thats all I need... a big ol' inhale of all that amazing deliciousness that'll be my chocolate fix ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks delicious!!!

    I received this blog award today and I'm paying it forward to you! I hope you will pay it forward as well :)
    http://oneplusoneequalslove.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-first-blog-award.html

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG, My family is hooked on chocolate covered banana chips!I was going to make the hubs a banana cake with chocolate ganache but I think that cake just got bumped for muffins! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Chocolate Banana Muffins looking very yummy. i will try make that..
    Great Blog Post

    ReplyDelete
  36. These turned out spectacular. I subbed half the flour for quinoa flakes and topped the muffins with flax seed flour (before baking) for an added nutrition (protein/omega). Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This recipe looks fabulous folks, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover