Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cookies for The Mercy House

Mr. E and I have moved A LOT. We've also been blessed by some wonderful neighbors.

In Dallas, we had retirees on both sides.  Mae, who brought us veggies and roses from her garden.  Joanne and Randall...she made pies and homemade ice cream and always shared. Randall...he, who spied me standing on a ladder trying to beat the pecans out of our trees with a rake, very sweetly came over to tell me they would fall when they were ready.

Alabama is where I met Lisa.  Lisa...who brought us chocolate chip cookies the day we moved in.  Lisa who invited kiddo & me to lunch at her house and didn't blink an eye when kiddo wasn't *quite so* potty-trained and also made off with a toy from her son's room.  Lisa...my sweet, sweet friend who I could call right now and we could pick up right where we left off.

And now, we're here.  You know those people you see on the news and read about in the paper.  GOOD people who do BIG things...and you think, "who are those people?"  Those people are our neighbors. Kristen, of We are THAT Family, her husband and her kiddos.

Kristen went to Africa this year and she was moved.  MOVED. She knew they were called to do something and they are DOING IT.  What's it?  They are starting a maternity home in Kenya called The Mercy House.

" The Mercy House exists to provide alternative options for pregnant girls living in the streets of Kenya. The Mercy House will aid them in nutrition, housing, prenatal care, counseling and job skills for sustainable living."

I'll let Kristen tell you more about it here...and here.

Besides direct donations, The Mercy House will be supported by an etsy shop.  And I'm pleased as punch to have cookies play a small part in it.  (There is also a link in the sidebar.)
Normally, I don't think of polka dots when I think of Africa. But, I wanted the cookies to be hopeful and beautiful, because I think that's what Kristen and her family are bringing to Africa.  Hope. Beauty. Love. 

We may offer other designs as time goes by, but for now, please take a few minutes to read about The Mercy House and visit the shop.

{There is also a giveaway going on over at We are THAT Family today.  Pop on over.  I think you'll be glad you did.}

31 comments:

  1. Bridget, I love these and what a great place for moms who often have very few options. You are fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How DO you get your food coloring not to bleed? I'm using my Wilton coloring (until it's gone, then I'm getting AmeriColor) - do you think it's the brand I'm using? Hmm..

    PS - beautiful cookies, per usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thy look perfect,..will sure chk the link

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you write so great with the icing? Your the very best! I with you move next to my house the next time!

    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashlae...yes, I think it is mostly the brand you are using. They make a lot of good products, but black and red food coloring are not among them. ;) Also, try making it a dark grey and then let it darken to black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Kristen and her family are doing (and what they have already done) is such a huge undertaking that will no doubt be the difference in the lives of many young women in Africa.
    What you have done here to help support their project is lovely. Your *idea* transferred wonderfully onto these cookies and I love the *happy* polka-dots. Your teeny-tiny hearts are awesome. Best wishes with the Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud of you both for making a difference... this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet thing to make. Little Africa cookies! I have several friends who would appreciate these!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute cookies! And for a good cause too(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful thing you are both doing!

    and Bridget the cookies are ADORABLE as always! LOVE the colors and the polkadots.......not to mention you hand cut cookies into AFRICA!!! you amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what an amazing undertaking by your neighbors! Your cookies are perfect, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been blessed with such great neighbors! Your cookies are amazing! And The Mercy House...wow sounds like a very large thing to take on but BRAVO to your friends who are making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful thing! Your cookies are a cute contribution :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cookies look amazing! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great thing you are doing. And these cookies could not look more perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bridget you neighbor has inspired alot of people~ even some of my church friends~(a friend of mine at church posted something on FB and we just recently found out we were all bloggers) small world~ I was in tears when I read her blog about her Africa trip~ you are both pretty lucky ladies ;) XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful endeavor! You know I love your polka dots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful venture!! Bridget, your cookies describe just that. Hope, Beauty, and Love. We are blessed to have such amazing people in this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just finding your blog has introduced me to so many great things! Your cookies are so lovely, as is the idea behind Mercy House.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful cookies and an even more beautiful story!! You are so blessed to have such wonderful neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YOU are amazing and I love you as a friend, neighbor and fellow blogger! Thanks for doing this Bridget! I love how HOPEFUL these cookies are!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are just beautiful, and such a sweet gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful cookies! And, what a great organization. So amazing that you are helping to raise awareness and tell everyone about such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great story... and great cookies too! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything about it is wonderful; the colors, the shape, the love that went into making them. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful people make wonderful changes in other peoples lives. You are both making wonderful contributions to this world.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just got my sweet Mercy House Cookies today! I am so honored to 'win' these! I am sharing the story with my girls! My oldest has a huge heart for Africa, so she is already trying to figure out how to help too!

    Thanks so much!
    Going to post them on my blog tomorrow with a link to your blog and Mercy House as well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just ran across your blog for the first time and I love it! I couldn't help but be curious about your "Mercy" cookies. We support a ministry in Denton, TX called "Mercy Heart" that ministers to families of prison inmates. LIGHTBULB!!! I'm going to make heart shaped cookies using your inspiration for their next meeting. Thanks for giving me a flash of inspiration to bless some others with some sweet mercy! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover