Half Birthdays . . . Works for Me Wednesday

works for me wednesday at we are that family

Half-birthdays.  Do you celebrate them?

I don't know where my mom got the idea, but we always celebrated half-birthdays growing up. There weren't presents, but there was always cake. Half of a cake. Half of a Bundt cake.

{Once we were older and had moved out of the house, my parents always sent us HALF a birthday card.  That's right....chopped right in half!}

My half birthday fell during the school year, so I always felt so special bringing in that half cake.  Even though my mom baked, our half-birthday cake was always from the grocery store. (Or at least *mine* was. Molly, yours, too?) Remember the grocery store used to sell half Bundt cakes?

Kiddo's half-birthday was last week and even though I don't usually make Bundt cakes for his, I decided to go traditional this year.

Almond-Crusted Butter Cake
{recipe adapted from Lou Seibert Pappas}

1/2 c. slivered almonds
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp. (plus more for pan)
1 lb. powdered sugar
6 eggs, room temp.
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
2 and 3/4 c. cake flour
Preheat oven to 300.  Butter a Bundt pan and then evenly coat the sides with the almonds. 

In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy and light.  Gradually add the sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.  Beat until fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl as needed.  Beat in the extracts and salt.

Add in the flour in 3 additions, beating until smooth. Spread evenly into prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let the cake cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.  Invert the pan and remove the cake, right side up, and continue to cool completely on the cooling rack.

Serving suggestions:
  • with a scoop of chocolate ice cream
  • with fresh strawberries
  • alongside a cappuccino for breakfast! (my favorite)

Half-birthdays work for our family.  What's your "unique" family tradition?


Oh, I almost forgot!  If you are reading this through a reader, you may want to click on over.  There is a snazzy updated header and in the naviagation bar, you'll now be able to link to a "cookie index."  {The cookie index is a work in progress, but the link is there.}

And, once you click over, look up in the address bar.  See that, to the left of the www? It's my very own FAVICON!  That little thing  makes me feel so cool! {And it's very rare that I feel cool!}  Thank you, Jessica, of The Frilly Coconut for your design help and expertise!  You are a doll!
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig