Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cookies for a 2nd Birthday

 
Aren't second birthdays sweet? They can hold up 2 fingers when you ask how old they are and say, "this many."  They really haven't gotten into the terrible twos yet...and they still NAP!

(Mine is 11, so that's how I'm choosing to remember it. When he's 30, I'll be waxing nostalgic about his teenage years.)
These cookies incorporate two of my favorite cookie decorating tricks...dots and a #16 tip.

Here's what you need to make them:
  • tiered cake cookies
  • royal icing tinted with Americolor Gel Pastefood coloring in turquoise, egg yellow, super red and regal purple
  • #3 plain tip
  • #2 plain tip
  • #16 star tip
  • disposable icing bags fitted with couplers
  • squeeze bottles
  • toothpicks
Once the cookies are cooled, pipe a border in turquoise royal icing using a #3 tip.  Let dry 15-30 minutes.

Reserve some piping consistency icing in turquoise and red.  Thin the remaining icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a rubber spatula until it is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.

Stir the icings gently to pop and air bubbles that have risen to the surface.  Transfer thinned icing to squeeze bottles.

Working 6-8 cookies at a time, flood the cookies withe the yellow icing.  Use a toothpick to guide along edges and to pop large air bubbles.

Starting with the first cookie flooded, drop dots in the other colors onto the wet yellow icing.

{This is what happens when you get distracted.}

Let dry for at least one hour.

Using a #2 tip and reserved red icing, pipe a number 2 on the top of each cake.

Change the tip on the bag of turquoise icing to a #16. Using a pulsing motion, pipe the detail on the cookies.

Let dry overnight.
 
 









I'll be linking this post to my friend Cheryl's I'm Lovin' It linky party!

44 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! These are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these colors, Bridget! Simply precious two-year old memories too! I had to say good-bye to my son this morning. He's heading back to Ft. Benning after his leave, (following his deployment to Afghanistan)... Honestly, I don't know where the two weeks went but I know I want them (and him) BACK! Any way, I appreciate the memories you recalled. I hope it carries me through to Thanksgiving (or Christmas, depending on how the Army feels!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies are so cute! I love the icing colors you chose, as well as the piping detail from the star tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I've got to spend some more time on my "piping" consistency in order to do those star tip details so I can do something like this!
    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are those perfect polka dots again! Thanks, Bridget, for your tutorial on how you achieve them! (I guess I just need to practice and go for it!) I really appreciate it! Your cookies are awesome, as usual!

    Yep, two-year birthdays are pretty sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you did different coloured polka dots and the star piping. The colours you used in these cookies are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just ADORABLE!!! I LOVE the colors and now I need a #16 tip!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cookies! I love the colors and the shell border! My baby boy is 2 and he is already in the terrible twos! I will sure remember this time ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute cookies! Love the shell border!

    ReplyDelete
  11. where to keep this while dryin ?
    whts the shelf life

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so adorable!!! I would never want a 2 year old again tho :P Kidlet was sweet but a runner and I was exhausted chasing him everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are wonderful and you are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I can't wait until my granddaughter turns 1 ( she's 7 weeks now!!) so I can make her cookies and cakes for her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are darling! I love the colors. I love that you share your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these cookies. The color, design, everything! You can mail me the ones that don't turn out, i'd still eat them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just adorable! Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i LOVE how these turned out! the #16 tip gives such a cute and polished detail to these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i just love these! So cute! and so perfect!!! My niece turns 2 at the end of this month and I am so going to make some of these

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute cookies...great blog! Stopping by from I'm Lovin' It Fridays.
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable! I love that cookie cutter it has so much potential. Thanks for the clear instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like these colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, those are SO cute. Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute!

    Stop by my blog to see the cookies I did for my son's 2nd {and 3rd} birthday parties:

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W2--2tO7ruI/S0y74BVhp4I/AAAAAAAABBM/-0ANOUOS6is/s1600-h/2899076621_d002c67a64.jpg

    Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that! Thanks for the recipe and tutorial for the royal icing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute~ I love the 2 at the TOP :)and I love age 2 with all my guys~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay, more cookies! Your ideas are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy beautiful! I could NEVER in a million years make something so precise and perfect. Everything on your blog is delicious and festive looking!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love birthday cake cookies, really some of my favorites to make!
    Just did an order the other day and wished that I could make more..and that never happens when I am finished!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those are adorable cookies! I think we have the same cookie cutter... I used a similar one for my cookie favors for the Big Summer Potluck last week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. 人並不是生來要吃敗仗的。人可被毀滅,但不可被擊倒。..................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aw, Bridget, these are adorable! Any parent would be SO lucky to have you bake these beautiful cookies for their child's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous Bridget!!! You totally made birthday cookies that *I* would love to get! (as well as my 2 year old!0

    Blessings!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very good detail. Love this post. Beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm sitting here thinking there's no flippin' way I could have that steady a hand and make the cookies that gorgeous. That "distracted" dot; that would be ALL of mine. Tears instead of dots. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another great color combination. Nice job on the shell borders too!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your cookie creations. They are beautiful. :) Can you tell me what a pulsing motion would be?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover