Friday, July 2, 2010

My heart beats true for the red, white and blue

Yep....that's red, white and blue sugar cookie dough!  If you're looking for something to bring to a 4th of July get together or maybe pack in a care package for a soldier, these are really fun...and easy!

I originally planned to cover the tops of these in royal icing, but once they came out of the oven, I thought they didn't need much embellishment at all.  A  little royal icing, some sprinkles, you're set.

First, you'll need to make your sugar cookie dough and divide it into 3 equal (ish) sections.  Tinting dough is easy, but don't try it with your mixer.  Using AmeriColor Soft Gel Paste Food Color knead the color in with your hands....not on your counter.  I used AmeriColor Super Red and Royal Blue.  Just a few drops will do it.

Roll out the dough on separate pieces of wax paper.  Roll it thinner than normal, about 1/8 inch. Stack the colors on top of one another.  Roll lightly until the dough is the thickness you want.

Cut with floured cookie cutters, getting the shapes as close to each other as possible.

{I wasn't even sure this would work, but when the stars were cut out, I started to get excited.  There may be a tinted-layered-dough obsession starting at Bake at 350.  You've been warned.}
Place the cut-outs on cookies sheets and pop in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before baking.

If you're like me, you hate to see cookie dough go to waste.  This dough can be re-rolled ONE time for a psychedelic patriotic look.  If you try to re-roll it again, it starts to look muddied.


To decorate, make some royal icing and pipe only the edges (I used a #4 tip).  Sprinkle with white sanding or sparkling sugar....


....or non-pareils.

You know....I think they're pretty cute without the royal icing, too!

So, for all you Americans out there...have a wonderful Independence Day!  Be safe!

And for our international readers....we'll eat a hot dog (and cookie) for you!  You guys be safe, too!

I'll be linking these up to TidyMom's I'm Lovin' It linky party!  Come check out all the fun!

49 comments:

  1. Beautiful patriotic cookies! Have a wonderful 4th of July, Bridget! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty and what a great idea - simple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I know what my boys and I are going to make tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow!! These are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're all so cool I don't even know which ones I like best....I must be a '60s child though; I lean towards the psychedelic ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too, too cute! I'm always impressed by your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them! And so much easier than the flags i made a couple years ago - piecing blue squares into red rectangles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! These turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE these Bridget!!! PERFECT!!!

    Have a GREAT holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. You really nailed it with these cookies Bridget. How ingenious, tinting and mixing your cookie dough. What a great way to kick off your idea and your July 4th weekend. Have a wonderful and safe weekend and thanks girl for having a hot dog and cookie for us living outside of your borders :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Umm.....these are freakin' AWESOME! Not like everything you make isn't freakin' awesome. It's just that these make me want to salute you. I love the simplicity. I love the colored dough. And the muddled ones are just too cool for school. If it wasn't for a giant family party tonight....I'd be makin' these right now. Oh well, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a flippin' genius (and I'm saying that with all sincerity!) This is awesome! I would have never thought to layer the dough. They look so very cool! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea, Bridget! These are fabulous... Happy 4th of July!! Mmm... hotdogs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, they are great! I'm thinking of all the other color combinations to tint cookie dough now. Halloween--black and orange??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found you this week and I'm so happy I did! You give me SO much inspiration and I'm excited to start trying out some cookies of my own! You make everything look so easy! Thanks so much! I'll be back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. actually I have to say I think I like the "psycho patriotic" cookies the best. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, once again...WOW! I wish I had time to try these now. You always excite and inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these cookies, I like how you layered the different color dough, great idea. Like the royal icing with sprinkles on top. Very 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these! Great idea. Happy and safe Fourth to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great technique! So many possibilities. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are adorable! I might have to get over my weird fear of food coloring in dough and give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love these Bridget! It's hard to always come up with original holiday treat ideas, but you always pull it off. Love the layered sugar cookie look! Have a fabulous 4th with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable as usual! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely :)

    Perhaps I could do a green and gold version for Australia day :P

    ReplyDelete
  27. As always, these look amazing.
    Happy 4th Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea, Bridget!! I'll do a similar thing when my own independence day comes about :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG! I love it!

    you r totally my inspiration!

    Kate for f3
    http://f3style.blogpsot.com
    http://sweetlife-toronto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love that idea!! I think it's going to turn into a color learning project with my kindergarteners next school year!!!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  32. !!
    Awesome! I love it! Why has it never crossed my mind to dye cookie dough... I do it with cake batter!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Too awesome. You rock, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are adorable! Great job!!! And thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think I'll make these, but with just red and white for Canada Day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are amazing and very patriotic indeed. I love the psychedelic leftovers too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this! Gotta give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  38. These cookies are AMAZING! What a terrific idea!

    Happy 4th of July weekend to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are the cutest 4th item EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are so pretty! Perfect for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great idea! I love the triple layered cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Funny you should post about this. I just happened to have picked up my very first bag of Unbleached flour. Have no idea why I used the bleached kind up until now?

    ReplyDelete
  43. I LOVE this idea!! I'm from Canada so the red white and blue theme doesn't really work for us, BUT i think i might do Red, White, Red and use a maple leaf cutter and make these for Canada Day!! Awesome blog! thanks!

    -Hailee

    ReplyDelete
  44. Really beautiful and classy. I love the idea in general of tinting the dough instead of the icing, and you've executed it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover