Friday, July 16, 2010

Electrolux #splits : Dastardly Mash Banana Splits

I'm so pleased to be joining Eletrolux and FoodBuzz again in support of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund!  Remember when you could vote for or make a cake in Kelly's Cakery and Electrolux would donate $1 to the OCRF?

Well, they're at it again...this time with banana splits!  For every banana split you create, Electrolux will donate $1 to the OCRF.


FoodBuzz has joined in as well.  For every FoodBuzz featured publisher who posts about banana splits, FoodBuzz will donate $50 to the OCRF!!!

Now, let me tell you about our banana splits!  Since my dad is visiting, I decided to make his favorite ice cream from Ben & Jerry...Dastardly Mash.  Although it's a discontinued flavor, it lives on in the "Flavor Graveyard" (love that!) and Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book!

Before you look at the recipe and say "Ew....raisins!" like I did every time my dad ate it, can I tell you a secret? It's AWESOME!  I am not a raisin-lover, but the combo here is delicious.  You really don't taste raisins so much as they add a little "chewy" texture.  Trust me?

Dastardly Mash
{adapted from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book}

1/2 c. raisins
1 c. water
1/2 c. pecan halves
1/2 c. whole, roasted, salted almonds
1/2 c. chocolate chips, semisweet
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 c. dutch-process cocoa (or natural)
1 and 1/2 c. milk
1 c. sugar
2 eggs (pasteurized if you're a worrier)
1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Soak the raisins in the water in the refrigerator.  (This can also be done the night before.)

Combine the pecans, almonds and chocolate chips. Place in the refrigerator.

Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a bowl over simmering (not boiling) water.  Whisk in the cocoa.  This may lump up in your whisk.  It's ok. Whisk on the milk, a little at a time...this will dissolve the cocoa....heat until blended.  Remove from heat and let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Gradually whisk in the sugar, then  whisk 1 minute more.  Whisk in the cream and vanilla.  Add in and whisk the chocolate mixture.

Cover and refrigerate 1-3 hours. 

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the maker's instructions.

Meanwhile, drain the raisins and add them to the nut mixture.

Two minutes before the freezing cycle is over, add the raisin/nut/chip mixture.  Once completed, transfer to a freezer-safe container, press plastic wrap on top, cover and freeze to harder ice cream.


For the banana splits

Whip cream with a little sugar.  Slice bananas.  Scoop ice cream into dishes.  Surround with banana slices. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.  Ta-da!

Now....go make your OWN banana split and help Electrolux raise money for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.  Do it for your mom, your nana, aunt, sister, daughter...yourself.  Don't make me get bossy! ;)


I love Electrolux's commitment to the OCRF, I love being a part of Foodbuzz and I love ice cream.  Yep, I'm linking this up at TidyMom's I'm Lovin' It party!

22 comments:

  1. I have a long relationship w/banana splits. I need to go back to my first love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad must have been delighted that you made him this delicious treat and the added bonus that you are helping once again with raising funds for Ovarian Cancer Research...a truly lovely added bonus. Good for you Bridget :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dessert for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum. and yum. I need to get with my banana split making. Just got an idea. Will be trying it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love raisins straight out of their little red box, so I'm sure I'd love this ice cream! And all for a good cause! Good for you for your part in the donation with your banana split! I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You SPOIL your DADDY Sweet Girl...
    JUST LIKE I DO!
    I just LOVE it that you make yummy homemade ice cream for your family!
    Can you BELIEVE we don't even HAVE a homemade ice cream maker here in the Northwest!
    Heck!
    I don't even know it they sell them in these parts! ;o)
    There's just nothing like HOMEMADE ice cream!
    And this recipe sounds YUM.....MEeeee!
    Good for you Miss Bridge for whipping up unique HOMEMADE ice cream desserts!
    Your sweet Daddy is a LUCKY man!
    And if I wasn't in the midst of a BLOG redesign...I'd create an original Banana Split just for you...
    for such a good cause!
    Kisses being blown to YOU!
    Can't BELIEVE you and TIDYMOM are getting together!!!!!!
    Can't WAIT to see what the two of you whip up in the kitchen together! xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great version of a Banana Split! I love the B & J's Flavor Graveyard as well... you can find some pretty interesting ice cream flavors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, I am seriously thinking we need to make ice cream next week when you are here! you always make the best sounding ice cream!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really not a raisin fan myself, but I love a good cause! Thanks for raising funds and awareness for Ovarian Cancer!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I have to say is Yum! Yum! Yum! I could eat two right now! And it's for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a good thing i just bought an ice cream maker cause now i really want a scoop (or two) of Dastardly Mash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha. That looks so insanely good... and SO much better than my attempt! Mine failed so miserably that it's a good thing I didn't (and couldn't yet) submit it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy do I wish I had an ice cream maker! Your banana split looks great! Great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  14. kaitlinwithhoney...oh, no. But, at least with a "failed" banana split you got to eat the mistakes?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum!! I totally missed the boat on the banana splits because work got the best of me this week. Love your version, though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok...I am SO glad I don't like chocolate because that looks GOOD! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know Dad loved that! Did you add the strawbery adn pineapple sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, with all the fancy desserts there are to make, bake and try, one sometimes forgets about the classically good banana split. Thank you for jogging my memory! I think I've got everything I need to make one tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks delicious! Can't wait to make it, new follower too-

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhhh...too bad about the "extra" ice cream that was left over, huh? It ROCKS...with or without the fixin's!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover