Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father's Day Savory Gouda Biscotti

 

Thank you, Dad...

Thank you for instilling in us the love of old cars, cold beer, the jalapeno and stove-popped popcorn.


Thank you for...
  • making pancakes for breakfast,
  • climbing the stairs to wake me for school in the mornings, even climbing them twice most mornings when I asked for "5 more minutes,"
  • leaving the light on in the hall.

 

Thanks for forgiving me when...
  • I backed the car into the side of the house,
  • I rear-ended your car with mine when following you home from the mall,
  • I "cleaned" your entire car with Windex....paint and all.
 
{I have no idea why Texas women have a reputation for BIG hair.} 

I love that you...
  • will hop in the car and drive 10 hours spur of the moment,
  • accompanied us to every concert we attended in high school {and I'm sorry about all of my screaming at Rick Springfield},
  • are always the life of the party and ready for a laugh.
 


Thanks Dad, for...
  • being at every swim meet, not just to watch, but to set-up, tear-down and time every race,
  • coaching Molly's soccer team,
  • chaperoning all those choir trips...
...and looking like you were having fun doing it all. :)


Thanks for getting us through when Mom died.

So much more to thank you for, but you get the idea.  We love you.  Happy Father's Day.  These biscotti are for you.

When I saw this recipe in Food & Wine, I immediately thought of my dad who loves Gouda cheese...although, normally on a Ritz cracker. :)

Gouda Biscotti (ie: cookies for beer)
{adapted from Food & Wine magazine}

2 & 1/4 tsp. instant yeast (active dry is what the original recipe calls for. Click here for more info/instructions.)
3/4 c. plus 2 TBSP warm water, divided
1 TBSP sugar
2 & 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for dusting
8 oz. Gouda , grated
1/2 c. walnuts, finely chopped
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6 TBSP unsalted butter, softened

In a medium bowl, combine the instant yeast with 1/2 cup of the warm water, sugar and 3/4 cup of the flour. Cover and let stand about 30 minutes; it will rise and be spongy.  (If using regular yeast packets, please refer to the original recipe.)

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the remaining 2 cups of flour with the Gouda, walnuts and salt. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture with the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water.  Stir in the softened butter until a dough is formed.
 
Dump the dough  and any loose bits onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.  Divide into thirds (a bench scraper is great for this). Using your hands and a rolling pin, form each piece into a log, about 8-9" long and about 1" high.

Place on the parchment lined sheet.  Cover with lightly damp paper towels and then plastic wrap.  Let rise 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350.

Remove the plastic wrap and paper towels and bake the logs for about 35 minutes, until they are golden and puffed. Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack and let cool for 20 minutes.

{You could stop here and call this Gouda cheese bread.  How do I know? Because the 3 of us ate the ends off of all three pieces.}

Meanwhile, reduce the oven temp. to 300 and put racks on the lower and upper thirds of the oven (use your oven mitts!). Line another baking sheet with parchment.

Using a serrated knife, slice the logs on a diagonal 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Place cut pieces on 2 baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden and crisp.  Flip the biscotti halfway through and shift the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back.

Transfer the biscotti to a rack and let cool completely before serving.  Serve with an ice cold beer....iced tea is ok, too. Heck, I even ate 2 of these for breakfast with orange juice.

{Printable labels from Martha Stewart.}

What would you thank your dad for?

46 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bridget I love this post!!!...I LOVE that you still have your Dad to bake for!....my Dad LOVED when I baked.

    I LOVE when you post old pictures. - laughed at the one with you in the overalls - I wore them too....but after a huge fight with my dad who did NOT want his daughter wearing OVERALLS! lol....he grew up on a farm, overall were NOT a fashion statement to him! lol

    I love how my dad enjoyed everything I baked, every story I told, looked at every picture I took, coached all of my softball games, and would make me laugh......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously getting all sappy over this post. You are totally adorable and I LOVE your hair and your way to honoring dear dad.

    You are one special lady to be able to put into words what an amazing man your father is AND incorporate beer and cheese into the post.

    I bow to you. ;)

    Be blessed!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a genius recipe! I will definitely be making this sometime very soon. Yum! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! What a beautiful tribute to your dad. The biscotti looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the neat look back on your life.
    Angie(AngieN24)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, totally cracking up over the tropical themed party pic with your mom and dad and the random guy, tryin' to get all cozy. Hilarious!

    That is such a dad treat...my husband would love them and so would my dad. I may have to make some of these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness....your Dad took you to a Rick Springfield concert too?!?! My Dad took me and 3 other troublesome teenagers. LoL He also took me to a Def Leppard concert and enjoyed that show. LoL

    Loved the post and the biscotti looks SO good!

    P.S. This is my first time commenting so...HI!! I'm Missy! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet tribute to your dad! It's perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to hold back my tears... what a touching post. My father was the world to me, your post just made me do a mental flash back of all the amazing moments I shared with him. Looks like we both blessed with amazing fathers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice post, Bridget. And the biscotti looks good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is incredibly beautiful. Your dad is an amazing man, what a blessing to have him in your life. I smiled reading the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is funny, touching and beautiful Bridget and I'm sure your Dad is bursting with pride. It is wonderful that you have told him what he means to you. Your pride in him is palatable and that is such a special thing. The photo of you and him dancing at your wedding brought a lump to my throat, he just looks so darn proud of his girl.
    Your Biscotti is another recipe I'm going to try. Looks amazing.
    I just posted for Sunday what my Dad meant to me. Hope you get a chance to read it at
    http://amencorners.wordpress.com
    Hope you, Kiddo and Mr. E enjoy your Father's Day celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha!! I love that. IE cookies for beer...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post Bridget - great photos to go along with great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post, Bridget! What a beautiful way to honour your father :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun pictures! I know Dad will love those.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post...had the same overalls...I thought I was sooo cool ~ they're Guess? right?!?
    The biscotti sounds great ~ love gouda!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the cutest post ever! Hope your dad enjoys the biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet pics and post. Happy father's day, Uncle John!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a wonderful way you honor your father!
    & for your virtual friends what great photos & a way to share...thank you.

    bridget...your resemblance to your mom is amazing...i kept scrolling back n forth...your mom was a beautiful woman...
    & so are you (& from bake @ 350 posts i image inside & out)!!

    enjoy the day & thanks again for a warm & sensitive post...with a great recipe to boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bridget!
    Bridget!
    Please please tell me there is SOMETHING YOU can't do!
    This GOUDA BISCOTTI...looks like something out of a gourmet magazine!
    But then again...
    everything YOU DO looks like something out of a magazine!
    That's why YOUR BOOK is going to be a best-freakin-seller!!!!!!!
    Bridget!
    Bridget!
    The pics of you and your adorable DADDY are priceless!
    OMGoodness!
    OMGoodness!
    I was smilin so BIG my cheeks were aching!
    So many memories.
    So many sweet priceless memories.
    ANd someday...I'll tell you my funnnnny story about the RICK SPRINGFIELD concert!
    I am lovin your big hair!
    And BIG hair was BIG in ALABAMA too!
    Great post Bridget!
    Now I see!
    Now I see where YOU get all that YOU ARE from!!!!
    I just know YOUR fun personality must come from YOUR Dad!
    And that is just one more thing you and I have in common!
    My personality comes from MY DAD too!
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo
    I sent my Daddy a coconut cake for Father's Day!
    Pop over and meet my Dad!
    Oh...and you've just GOT to copy down my Cucumber Dip recipe!
    I just know you will love it!
    You and Tidymom will have to make it when you get together! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The best post I've read all day. (Yes, what IS it about our Big Hair in Texas??)

    Bridget, this is so sweet and thoughtful. I've never thought of making a savory biscotti, and these look GREAT!

    Awesome post!

    www.homewithmandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, you look just like your mother. How beautiful. Your dad is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful post, especislly when you thank your dad for getting you through your mum's death. I cannot understand what it must be like to not have a parent. I thank my dad for all his support, ferrying us around when we were playing in school matches, coming to all our concerts and being someone who you knew would always be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bravo, bravo! A dad should be a girl's hero (even if she's married). Thanks too for the biscotti recipe. It's nice to see one that's not for dipping in coffee! I can totally get into the biscotti for beer idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful post ~ thanks so much for sharing your treasured memories. I LOVE the biscotti and beer idea! Will have to try this recipe soon.

    Well, I'm a native Texan and yes, we do seem to go for the big hair. :-)

    I'm enjoying looking over your blog.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Bridget,

    Great tribute to your Dad !!

    Hey, I remember / was there for almost all those times and pictures.

    He loves you girls and you and M have a great Dad.

    Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your post. Growing up I always wished your dad could be my dad too. How lucky y'all are to have him. Happy Father's Day Mr. T!

    ReplyDelete
  29. bringing me to and from school all my 16 years of student life... not allowing my mom to have a day job so she can cater to our needs while he was making money and we were growing up. <3 oooh i love my papa!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well you got me crying, because of all the good memories. i am lucky to have two beautiful daughters, and was blessed to have Gayle as my wife and friend who kept me in line and was the guiding force in our lives. the guy in the picture was one of the dancers in Hawaii, your mother met me there when i was on R&R from vietnam. it was the first time we had seen each other since i left for vietnam 4 months after we were married. thanks for all the great memories.

    love dad

    ReplyDelete
  31. You WERE blessed! I can see that you look like your mom though! Love those short shorts! I am bookmarking the recipe. I think you'd like my Father's day post too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. the luv and sweetness in that post was so sweet and genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great tribute to your dad, he sounds wonderful.
    I enjoyed looking at all your photos, such great dad memories.
    I thanked my dad today for his amazing-ness and felt blessed to spend the day with him.
    Gouda Biscotti sounds delicious :) I bet they taste great with that cold beer.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your post. I just wish I had a dad when I was growing up. Mine die too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an adorable tribute to your dad, Bridget! This is such a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I absolutely love this post! So sweet!!! Your dad has such a great daughter! And those biscotti look amazing. Especially with the beer! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your post made me teary-eyed Bridget. What an amazing dad you have. He's lucky to have you for a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bridget that was the sweetest post ever I even had some tears!! I love all the old pictures.. umm not too old I mean!!! I esp love the one with the mystery guy leaning onto Aunta Gayle~ Happy Fther's day Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  39. We lived in Germany for 4 years and that is where we picked up our love of Gouda! MMM I bet these were a BIG HIT.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is lovely and that packaging is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful post:) Those biscotti are amazing. Hope your Dad enjoyed - Never mind I am more that sure he did!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is a wonderful post. The biscottis looked so delicious! The photos are so nice.
    bed frame

    ReplyDelete
  43. This was an absolutely beautiful post.
    You made me smile and brought a tear to my eye, all at the same time.

    What a lucky girl you are to have such an amazing Dad!!

    TFS,
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  44. great post! Those biscotti look great! I would thank my dad for all the good laughs. He made me pancakes every morning and would put the most RANDOM things in them. Oatmeal, sweet and low, and just weird, weird things. Always came out good though:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover