Deep *DARTH* Chocolate Cookies

Desserts for Dudes
{Darth Vader Cookies}

Insert Imperial March here:
dum, dum, dum,
da, da, dum,
da, da, dum

Have you seen these cookie cutters from Williams-Sonoma?
 
These cutters make embossed cookies...they practically decorate themselves!

Kiddo had a friend coming over for the day, so I whipped up a few Darth Vader cookies.  I used this recipe (oh, and it is SO SO GOOD!), omitting the espresso powder because:
     a. I was out, and
     b. do 11-year-old boys really need espresso powder?

Now, these cookies are made with Dutch-process cocoa powder which makes them really dark, but I also added in some AmeriColor Super Black food coloring.  When tinting dough, just knead in the food coloring with your hands.  If the dough gets warm when you do this, pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before rolling.

I rolled these out on a surface dusted with a combination of flour and cocoa powder.  Don't worry, if you see some on your cookies...it will bake right in.

One more tip....once cut, pop these in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before baking to prevent spreading.


Here's what they looked like just out of the oven....
...perfectly cute!  You really don't need to do anything else to them.

But, of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone.  I tried Amanda's (from i am baker) cookie decorating icing.  I need some more practice with it....mine was a little bumpy and Amanda's never is, but I really liked it.
 
It was shiny, and easy to adjust, and perfect for those times when you don't want to make a big batch of royal icing.
{There is a wonderful video of Amanda making her icing, here, on University of Cookie.}

Now that your cookies are made, it's time to break out your kid's Star Wars Legos and have some fun.  Yes, we're dorks.
 
{I was just informed that the Tie Fighter is backwards. Oops.}
{PS....if you want to see some great ideas for these cutters, visit Jenn and Bento for Kidlet! She is one cool mom!}

Who is your favorite Star Wars character?  
Me, I can't decide. I'm torn between C3PO, Yoda and Princess Leia's hair.
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig