Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spaghetti & Meatballs . . .April Fools!

Ready to dig into a big bowl of Spaghetti & Meatballs?


How about Spaghetti & Meatball cupcakes?!?

I had no intention of doing anything special for April Fools' Day this year. (Last year, I made these.)

It's Easter week and I was busy with cookie orders, excuses, excuses. Last night, kiddo says, "so, what are you doing for April Fools' Day this year?"

Well, the guilt hit me like a ton of bricks. Shouldn't I do something special? Are these the things he will (hopefully) remember 7 years from now when he's away at college (sob!)? I'm hoping the sugar will drown out memories of all of my griping & nagging.

{That and I'm Catholic, so guilt comes pretty easily for me.}



These spaghetti & meatball cupcakes come right out of the book Hello, Cupcake! They're super easy, too...especially when you use boxed cake mix and canned frosting. (Shh, don't tell.)

{Will you think less of me if I tell you that I LIKE canned frosting? No? Oh, good.}


And the parmesan, it's supposed to be grated white chocolate, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it just for a few little sprinkles. I used grated white candy melts. :)


I wasn't sure about how I would like the sauce on the cupcakes, but it was really good with the frosting and chocolate, uh, meatball!


We dropped some off for my 3-year-old nephew who said, "Oh, spaghetti & meatballs are so GOOD for me!" Smart guy!

Don't forget to link up your Easter goodies and crafts here!

Related post:

I'm linking this post to TidyMom's: I'm Lovin' It!

35 comments:

  1. Oh heavens....will you marry me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting these cupcakes from you tonight MADE my kids night...talk about guilt. I haven't baked one thing in months.

    Glad I have such a good neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is probably the most clever cup cake I have ever seen. Sooo creative. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh! You fooled me! I LOVE this! You are so awesome... no fooling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adopt me, please. Just make these cute things and I'll clean up. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! These look so realistic, too. I never would have known that they were cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I want some! Those are wicked cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also enjoy canned frosting, a little too much really. I love all frosting! (unless it tastes like Crisco)

    Such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Bridget those are WAY cute!!! I love it!!!

    Thanks for linking up!!!.....I added my cookies to your party too!!

    Have a wonderful Easter weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure these cupcakes made your son very happy! So cute, and tasty too! I made meatloaf/mashed potato cupcakes last year too, but they weren't nearly as cute as yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!
    There's nothing wrong with canned frosting... especially with cream cheese on the label. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too much! Can't you win a contest with these winners?
    I always feel that way with my youngest...I did so much with the others, I feel like I'm slacking sometimes..yeah, I have the same guilts...I'll make Good Friday cupcakes!?
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are great! I have that book, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. those are adorable!

    Happy Easter!

    www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will admit, in canned frosting-aholics anonymous, that I can eat the stuff, by the canful, with a spoon, no cake involved.:)
    Those are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to do these this year, but have been so busy that i didn't have a chance..next year for sure! I bet your kiddo loved them, I know mine would have! Oh the guilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i bought hello, cupcake and love everything in it but have yet to make a single one.

    couple of questions :-), what tip did you use to make the "spaghetti"? do you have to soften canned frosting to use for this or do you literally just dump into the piping bag?

    and i ADORE canned frosting. during particularly stressful times, i have been known to keep a tub in the refrigerator and eat directly out of it until my problems have vanished. (or i'm in a sugar coma)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW!!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!! This makes me so so hungry, for both something savory AND sweet, LOL! Fantastic! Incredible pictures too - as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fun! I could really use one of those right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aimee... I used a #2 or #3 tip (I can't remember!!!) after covering the top with a layer of frosting...that way no plain cake showed through.

    I just stirred in the food coloring, then used it right way...room temp.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I Luff! Two of my favourite things!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE these. They are great! I think I might buy that book actually. They look so real! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these! only kind of tomato sauce I want!

    ReplyDelete
  24. gotta love the Catholic guilt! but seriously, these are adorable and seem delicious. i'm pretty sure I will remember them 7 years from now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE them they are my very very favorite cupcakes~ you did such a good job

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so cool! I will make these for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love love love these and I can't wait to make them for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely adorable! How did you get the frosting to hold the spaghetti shape and not melt into each other?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Words escape me Bridget! You are so clever and talented!
    I'll take this version over the real thing any day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Did my best friend just propose to you in your comment section? (hello betrayal!)

    ;)

    This is the BEST April Fools fake food I have seen yet!! Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover