Sunday, March 28, 2010

Guest Post from Sweetopia : Marbling Cookies


I have *such* a treat for you guys today! This is the very first guest post on Bake at 350 and I am so, so happy to introduce you to Marian. Marian's blog is called Sweetopia and I'm not exaggerating when I say it is a cookie wonderland! I literally cried the first time I saw it. You'll love it, too! {Just WAIT until you see the little owl below!}

Thank you, Marian, for guest posting today! We are so lucky to have you here!


Hi! I'm Marian.


I'm really thrilled and honored to be here as a guest contributor for Bridget's website! Every time I visit I'm inspired by her eye-candy cookies and baked goods of all kinds! Hopefully you'll like the sweets I'm sharing today.


If you've tried cookies like these before you know how simple they are to make, and if you haven't, you're about to find out just how easy they are to create.

It's called marbling or swirling, which is basically when one or more colors of icing are applied to a base coat of icing, and then a toothpick, cake tester, pin or skewer is dragged through the icing to create a marbled or swirly effect.

Each combination of colors creates another look.


Just by changing the way you set up your lines and drag the toothpick, completely different designs emerge.

You can incorporate the swirled icing into your design, like these feathered cookie friends:




If you'd like to try the swirling effect, the most important thing for your success is the consistency of the icing. Bridget has some great points about that here, and my cookie decorating tutorial goes over some tips and the 10-second rule here.


Once you have your cookies baked and icing made, it's time to begin by piping your outline. I like to use a piping bag fitted with a coupler and #2 tip.

Fill or flood your cookie with royal icing right away. You could leave the outline to set to create a solid dam, but you'll be able to see the border when the icing dries.


Once you've filled the whole cookie in, shake it gently left to right on your work surface, to help smooth the icing out.



Add your second (or more), layers or colors of icing. Work as quickly as you can before the icing sets.


Take a toothpick, pin, skewer or dough tester (hey, whatever works!), and drag it through the icing. In this case I drew S-like shapes. The image below shows which direction I dragged the toothpick in.



Finish off the edges with dots or another design of your choice and you're done!



The hearts are made by piping dots and dragging the toothpick through the center of each dot.




Let your cookies dry, package and ribbon.



Simple, easy, fun and impressive!


If you have any questions or comments come visit me over at Sweetopia for more information or to contact me directly.


A big thanks to Bridget, cookie decorator extraordinaire, for having me as her guest blogger!


Happy marbling!

xo,

Marian

63 comments:

  1. Super cute tips, thank you for sharing, I can't wait to use them on my cookies.As always Bridget, your blog is awesome as well as Sweetopia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. I could not be a bigger fan of this?? Love Marion and love her blog and love that you are showing her off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like this "Guest Post" feature Bridget! Marian, what a great tutorial! From an earlier post of Bridget's I learned the basics and just did some tulip cookies using it and with different colours. The technique for the dots is new information and I really appreciate it. Always a good day when I learn something new. Thank you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THIS! Those look too pretty to eat :) Thank you for sharing the tips - I'll try them out soon. Almost time to make Easter cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies are beautiful! Thanks so much for the easy tutorial!
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so pretty! Swweetopia is fantastic, I always love stopping by and being in awe at all the sweets she's made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great step-by-step that I'm going to share as a link on the Drop In & Decorate web site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. que descubrimiento!!preciosas estas galletas decoradas ,y que bien explicado.
    muchisimas gracias.
    adoro decorar galletas.
    bss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just gave me an idea for how to spend my spring break...these are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing. I have some confidence now to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great new feature, Bridget! I love Marian's style and her blog is inspiring... Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing the marbling effect! All of those cookies are adorable, I especially love the heart shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool! You make it look so easy! Thanks for all the tips! I love the owl cookie, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this guest post! These tips are so useful and will definitely turn an ordinary cookie into something much more extravagant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am goad that she shared this. I have always wondered how Marion got that smooth edge on the back flood without letting it dry. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love guest posting...especially when two of my favorite cookie people are doing the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just made a batch of these yesterday. Made Easter eggs! They are adorable and soooo easy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You girls are AWESOME!! Thanks for the great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that's awesome and she makes it look so easy! They look fantastic! And the owl? So, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love you both! Now together!?! fantastic! Great tutorial (as always!!!)

    Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have always liked both creating marbling effects in icing and seeing it on display, too. It's so pretty! And my heart melted on here when I saw the CUTE owl...and the ducks...and the chickens! OH MY! Perfection - simply put.

    =-D

    http://classiclyamber.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so in love with this. what a fabulous tutorial making this easy, peasy! I am going to do this and show off the results...wow and dazzle my family at the next get together!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this! Great tutorial - love the detail!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can see how you might be reduced to tears over these cookies! At first I thought, "how silly!" but then I saw that glittery rainbow teapot... GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen this, but NEVER done it! THANKS so much for the tutorial to help me make a brave attempt at marbling! Appreciate both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So simple and yet so stunning. Nice guest post Marian. Great first guest poster Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Extremely informative! I love the step by step instructions. I haven't tried to decorate cookies before because they look so intimidating. These are too beautiful to eat. :-D
    OK I would eat it, but then think of all the time spent.. dang

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this technique! I tried it today and had great success! I had been looking for a long time to find out exactly how to do this particular technique, so I am so happy to now know the "secret" so I can WOW everyone! Thanks SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So beautiful. Definitely works of art. Thanks for the picture tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just tried this today with some Easter Egg cookies, they are amazing! What a great idea! http://www.squirrelbakes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for a great tutorial! I needed it!
    ~Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  32. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!
    AWESOME TUTORIAL!
    I REMEMBER OUR VANILLA SLICES (IN AUSTRALIA) HAD THIS SORT OF DECORATION...:-) MANY MANY YEARS AGO.
    LOL.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'll just "ditto" everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love sweetopia and your blog bridget! thanks for the tips Marian!! I'll be sure to use them soon (:

    ReplyDelete
  35. Seriously going to check my pantry for ingredients... :) LOVE those HEARTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. love this post...love!
    & *heart* you & marian...you both are so very creative!!!
    happy holiday to all!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this post! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm baking cookies this weekend and can't wait to use some of these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How cute!! And what great instruction and pictures!! I will be trying this for sure, thanks a bunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely beautiful. LOVE it!! I'm totally inspired to give that a try! Sweetopia is now bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are amazing! I've been wanting to try this technique for my Easter cookies, and I'm so glad to have step-by-step pictures as a guide. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing cookies... They are fabulous. I never thought to use marbling to make feathers. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'd LOVE to try this! but I know I can't make it look sooo great as yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Marian - I LOVE the dots to hearts technique. You are AWESOME!!!!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  44. thanks so much for sharing this! these cookies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. OMGoodness!!!!!
    OMGoodness!!!!!!
    That is tooo coooool!
    ANd that owl up there...on that cookie...OMG!
    If I could create that...my life would be complete!
    xxooxx
    What talented ladies you are!
    Perfection indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Bridget!
    Going to browse around and see how cute you have decorated spring bunnies or flowers and I may have to copy your design for spring cookies for my sweet mom. Going to search for cuteness NOW!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Okay....30 seconds later!
    Found what I needed!
    It doesn't take long to find CUTENESS over here! ;o)
    xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love Sweetopia. Love Bake at 350. Yay for your both!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh happy day! Yippeeee!! I'm on Bridget's Bake at 350's blog!! I'm sooo happy to be here - thank you - it's a true honor!!
    Thank you also for such a kind introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  50. These look fabulous. I shall have to experiment some more with icing cookies and see if I can get anything which looks anything near as good as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I'm quickly becoming addicted to all these tips and pictures! can't wait to try them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow - almost.. too pretty to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I discovered your blog this week and I couldn't wait to make some cookies with marbling. I followed your directions and the cookies are gorgeous! I have one question about tip size. Just wondering what size of tip you used for the horizonal lines (the ones that get marbled) and how that differs/compares to the tip size you used to pipe the outline (I used tip#3 for both). I'm also wondering what size tip you used for the little pearls/dots you put around the perimeter of the whole cookie.

    Thanks for all your great tips!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  54. A BIG question...no, I mean a BAG question. Do you buy all different sizes of celophane bags or do you mostly buy one size? I always seem to run out so I should buy larger amounts.
    What does your stash look like? Thanks......great post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover