Saturday, January 30, 2010

Flavor-of-the-Month . . . Amaretto Madeleines


Welcome to Flavor-of-the-Month, boozy edition!


My favorite drink in the whole wide world is an Amaretto Sour. Even though I'm too lazy to make them very often, I try to keep a bottle of Amaretto in the house at all times, just in case. So, when contemplating Boozy Edition, it was calling to me.

Take a look at this Amaretto I found. Read the label...


"Made by infusion of...cookies!!!" Now, this is my kind of liqueur!

Madeleines are, to me, like a combination of cookie and cake...how can that be wrong? And did anyone else read the Madeleine books growing up? I loved those books and making these made me think of...

"In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines,
lived twelve little girls in two straight lines..."


Amaretto Madeleines with Amaretto-Vanilla Bean Glaze
(makes 22 madeleines)

10 TBSP unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
2/3 c sugar
1/2 salt
3 eggs, room temp.
2 tsp Amaretto
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
1 c flour, sifted

Over medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan. Simmer gently until the butter deepens slightly and there are small flecks of brown in the butter, about 5 minutes.

{Browning butter always makes me nervous!}

Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Beat the sugar, salt and eggs several minutes until they are light yellow and thickened. Stir in the Amaretto and vanilla bean paste.

Gently fold in the flour and butter in 3 additions each, alternating between the two. Refrigerate the batter for 45 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 375. Brush the madeleine pan with melted butter.

Fill the pans with 1 heaping tablespoon of dough per cookie. Bake 12 minutes until the edges are light brown.

Let cool in the pan 5 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.

If making these in 2 batches, let the pan cool completely. Wipe out the cookie molds and re-coat with melted butter.


Amaretto-Vanilla Bean Glaze

1 & 1/4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
3 TBSP whole milk (or whatever you have on hand, lower fat will make a thinner glaze)
2 TBSP Amaretto
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)

Whisk to combine all of the ingredients.

Place the madeleines on a cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet. (This will catch the glaze and make for easier clean-up.)


Spoon glaze over the cooled cookies.




Flavor-of-the-Month February will be CHOCOLATE!!! Oh, I can't wait!!!

♥Reminder: when linking up, please link to your blog post only...not your blog's main page. These links will be removed. If you're not sure how to do that, click here.♥


Want to check out our past FOTM's? Click here! It's a great way to find new blogs to love!

Link away! (Linky will close the evening of February 3rd to discourage spammers.)

37 comments:

  1. You know... I have been meaning to buy a madeleine pan. It could be the only piece of baking equipment that I do not have in the kitchen! Yours turned out lovely! I shall have to copy your recipe! Thanks!!

    Ally @ High Heels & Aprons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made madeleine's either. These look delicious! I will have to purchase a pan and try them. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your madeleines look so delicate and golden! I especially like the glaze! Mmmmm:) Great choice! I loved the Medeleine book series too:) I look forward to participating in FOTM (chocolate) in February!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful madeleines! I adore the Madeleine books, but I've never made the cookies before. Your photos are making me want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these look absolutely delicious!
    I am inspired to buy a madeleine pan and the Amaretto so I can try the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore amaretto!! These are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are great! So sad I didn't do anything for this month...next month I am totally in for chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh! Amaretto sours are my absolute favorite drink...or were...I am either pregnant or nursing these days and haven't had one in ages it seems. Thanks for the memories :)

    Mag@SmashedPeas&Carrots

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing and sound DELCIOUS!....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious!! Do you think there is anything that could be substituted for the amaretto? I know this is boozy edition but we don't do boozy :) Could an extract or something go in place? or would that make them icky? I always wonder about substitutions in recipes that require alcohol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn (Bento for Kidlet)...I would make them almond madeleines for a similar taste. Because almond extract is pretty strong, I'd change the extracts in the cookie to 2 tsp vanilla bean paste, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp almond extract. For the glaze, I'd substitute more milk for the amaretto and add a 1/4 tsp almond extract.

    Let me know if you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since these are a cakey cookie thing, does that mean we can dip them in frosting?? Or layer a few madeleines and make a cake sandwich kinda thing? These look great. Love the addition of Amaretto. Made from cookie infusion?? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like I am not alone in not having a madeleine pan, but I really need to fix that situation. They are so pretty, and I love that they are a combo of cookies and cake.

    I'm not really a fan of amaretto, so I'm thinking I might try these with Grand Marnier instead. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. have you ever made your own amaretto?! i have tried a lot of different amarettos and i find that the kind i make is the best!

    Amaretto
    Ingredients:
    •2 cups sugar
    •2 cups water
    •2 cups vodka
    •2 cups brandy
    •4 tsp almond extract (not flavoring)
    Preparation:
    In a heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to make a simple syrup. Cool to room temperature.

    Add the vodka, brandy, and almond extract to the cooled syrup. Stir to combine. Pour into stoppered bottles and let your homemade amaretto age at least 1 month.

    that is a very simple one but if you dont like to use brandy there are other ones too. i had this next one saved to try the next time (im still working on finishing the first batch).


    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 cups water
    4 cups vodka
    1/4 cup almond extract
    4 tsp. vanilla extract

    -Dissolve sugars in water in a pan over medium heat.
    -Heat until boiling and all sugar is dissolved.
    -Remove from heat and allow to cool.
    -Add vodka, almond extract, and vanilla.
    -Store in a sealed decorative bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think madeleines are hands down the prettiest cookies out there! I'm not usually a big fan of amaretto, but those sound really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love madeleines! I made some with black sesame a while ago, and am looking for a new flavour for a re-run. I'm thinking maybe pandan.

    I love how the just tip out of the pan! Obviously, provided it is well greased... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Flavor of the Month idea! I'm def an Amaretto lover, especially blended with Baileys & crushed ice! LOL These darling little Madeleines look irresistable, as does everything Bridgette bakes up. I'm so envious of her amazing baking skills. Truth be told: I can't bake my way out of a paper bag, but I can cook up a superb cheese souffle and I'm not bad at sewing up a hip little apron.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those sound absolutely delicious...although, I've never had an Amaretto Sour, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic! I have made madeleines before. Look forward to making these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amaretto sour has always been my favorite drink too...and i don't drink that much any more...but boy, those madeleines sure do look yummy!
    one can almost taste them.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! Amaretto Sour is my favorite drink (when I drink alcohol) too! I don't have a link for this edition, but I will certainly enjoy visiting some of the others.
    Thanks!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty - I will definitely make these!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look and sound incredible!!! perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been meaning to use my madeline pan...it's only ever been used once.

    My mushroom dip is made with white wine, and (since it tastes so french to me) should be enjoyed with a big old glass of red!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this idea Bridget! My BFFs favorite thing in the world are madeleines. She gets them from Starbucks all of the time. She's also one of my cocktail buddies. I have to make them for her. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea for Jan flavor of the month. I wish i had the time to do it. Hopefully February. :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! I just had to say I LOVE your blog! I featured it on my blog's main page today! Keep up the great work! I'll definitely be checking in again and again! :)

    Carmin in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Bridget. I love your blog and the FOTM idea. I posted a link for pumpkin cheesecake with bourbon-sour cream topping. I'd love to participate in future FOTM challenges. Is there a certain protocol or do I just link up?

    ReplyDelete
  29. ohhh yum! love it!! might have to make this this weekend! i too LOVE amaretto and always have it on hand at the house!

    ReplyDelete
  30. adding vanilla bean paste, madeleine pan, and lazzaroni amaretto to my shopping list today!! thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't understand why you would make madeleines moist by that glaze. The idea is to eat them warm and a little crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made these a part of my Valentine's Dinner Party menu, and will be serving along side of a dark chocolate mousse for the February FOTM. It was a great excuse to buy a new pan and bottle of booze!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover