Saturday, September 12, 2009

Kick {cancer's} Butt Cookies: LiveSTRONG with a Taste of Yellow 2009


This is my second year to participate in LiveSTRONG with a Taste of Yellow event hosted by Winos and Foodies.
LiveSTRONG with a Taste of Yellow is a blog event for wine & food bloggers to raise awareness of cancer issues and share stories. It is an official LiveSTRONG DAY (October 2nd) event.


Last year, I made Yellow Rose Sugar Cookies in honor of my mom, Gayle. You can read it here, and I'd love it if you would.

Thinking about this years' event, I kept coming back to the fact that cancer makes us warriors. All of us....doctors, nurses, researchers, fund raisers, families, and PATIENTS....we're all fighting.

That made me think of these cookies. They're feisty, they have a bite...they kick butt.
{They are also lemony, buttery and highly addictive. A perfect grown-up cookie!}

Here's to all of you warriors out there...go forth, kick butt...enjoy!

Kick {cancer's} Butt Cookies
(modified from King Arthur Flour's Citrus Sizzlers)

1 c unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1/2 c sugar
2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 TBSP grated lemon zest
1 egg
2 & 1/4 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
sanding or regular sugar for dipping

Preheat oven to 400. Line cookie sheets with parchment.

Cream together the butter and the sugar. Beat in juice, zest and egg.

Combine the flour, pepper, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture and beat on low until the dough comes together.

Roll dough into tablespoon-size balls; place on lined sheet. Gently flatten each ball slightly, using the bottom of a glass that has been lightly moistened and dipped in sugar. (I used yellow sanding sugar.)

Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on racks.

19 comments:

  1. I love that picture of Aunt Gayle what a beauty Queen~she would have loved that you posted this:) She is so missed along with my husbands mother that lost her fight in 2003~~ I will have to try these cookies they look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you're a part of this crummy club. I know your Mom would love that you are a warrior. Those cookies sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try these. I was tearing up reading about your mom. I was just at the oncologist with my mom yesterday, oddly celebrating that her matastisized breast cancer has only spread further into her bones and not into her liver as we had feared. One learns to celebrate the little things when the word 'cancer' is involved.

    My mom is a red head too...feisy is the perfect description for her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cool picture of your mom. Is that her Miss Kelley portrait?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful pic of your Mom. Thanks for sharing Bridget. I am teary eyed as I write this..I am a member of this club as well, I lost my mom 5 yrs ago to lung cancer. I will definately make these cookies..they look great!Hugs!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I'm a "warrior" myself. Diagnosed with B.C. last December 15, and happy to say that I'm "kicking cancer's butt!" I will make these cookies and think of your mom and all the rest of us in a club we did not ask to join. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a great picture of Gayle, she was a fighter and she is very proud of you.

    love dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mahoney & Whimsy...thank you for sharing your stories. My ♥ goes out to you both.

    jlj914...you are an inspiration! I just left a comment on your blog. Go get 'em!

    Janice...yep, that's mom's Miss Kelley picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the picture of your mom! Can't wait to try the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookies look great! Your mom looks lovely in that photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your other post about your mom and it was beautiful. I lost my mom to cancer just this past August 20. Yeah, as in 25 days ago. But we're all doing well, honestly.

    I'll have to make these cookies in honor of both of our moms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that picture, love the cookies, they do have a little kick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please include me in your next Backwards giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your beautiful mom left you with beautiful memories!! I lost my mom to lung cancer 5 years ago and I am so grateful for the memories we have of her. I will think of our moms while enjoying one of these delicious looking cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mom is so beautiful in this picture! That's the way we should remember them, pretty and full of joy - I'm sure they are like that right now, watching us bake in our kitchens.
    Big hug
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mum was very beautiful Bridget. Thank you for supporting A Taste of Yellow again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Mum was a gorgeous lady!
    It is sooo very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful picture of your mom! Im sure she is proud of you and your continued fight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover