Monday, August 17, 2009

Cranberry-Pecan Rye Bread

Nothing makes me feel more like a real baker than making homemade bread.
cranb bread sliced
This week, we had Martha's Cranberry-Pecan Rye Bread, and it was delicious!

cranb bread
Want the recipe? Here it is, adapted slightly from the Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
to incorporate the instant yeast I had on hand.

Cranberry-Pecan Rye Bread

1 c. pecan pieces, toasted
vegetable oil for bowl
1 & 1/4 c. lukewarm water
2 & 1/4 tsp instant yeast
2 c. bread flour
1 c. rye flour
2 & 1/2 tsp table salt
1 TBSP sugar
1 & 1/2 TBSP caraway seeds
3/4 c. dried cranberries (craisins), coarsely chopped
1 large egg
Sea salt for sprinkling (I used fleur de sel)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together yeast, flours, salt, sugar and caraway seeds. Add the water and mix with the paddle attachment on med-low until the dough comes together.
cranb bread dough
{Prettiest dough ever!}
Switch to the dough hook and mix on medium, 4-5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. On low speed, add cranberries and pecans. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled plastic wrap and let sit about 1 hour, until doubles in bulk.

Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 13 X 10" rectangle, with short side facing you. Fold in 1/2" flaps on each corner of the short ends. Starting at the top, roll the dough toward you, gently pressing as you go to form a tight log. Roll back and forth gently to seal the bottom seam. Transfer loaf to baking sheet lined with parchment, cover and let sit 45 minutes.

Beat egg with 1 TBSP water. Brush the loaf generously with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until crust is deep golden brown and a thermometer registers 190 degrees, 35 - 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

I served it with this salad, which was incredible...and for a girl who doesn't like to eat her vegetables, that's saying something! ;)
cranb bread sliced close
{Loving that ♥-shaped pecan, even if it is upside-down!}
Enjoy!



20 comments:

  1. Oh it looks just wonderful! I want to have some with my coffee- I bet it smelled delish while baking! Thanks for the recipe~ I will have to make this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was excellent. Surprisingly good. I have to admit I would have never ordered it if it were on a menu or on the list at the local bakery, but VOILA. My young bride made it happen...yum! THANKS, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime, Mr E, anytime! ;) You know that heart-shaped pecan was just for you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. It LOOKS beautiful! I can only imagine the smell and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definitely is the prettiest dough ever!

    Hey, shoot me an email & let me know what state you're in. I have you in the "unknown" category in my blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, this looks so good! Minus the pecans for me of course, since I'm allergic. ;-) But still, yum! I totally agree - there's nothing like homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing! We are huge cranberry fans over here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe, Bridget! It looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making homemade bread! You're right, it really makes you feel like a baker. This bread looks so delicious, I love cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pssst! Hey, Lady! Wanna know a secret? You ARE a REAL baker!

    Beautiful bread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm this bread looks awesome! You are such a good baker:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks perfect!!! I love the picture of the dough! I made a pumpkin bread chock full of cranberries and pecans last year (before I started taking pictures of my food) and I just sat there looking at the dough for the longest time :) It was so pretty! Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting this recipe!! It looks delicious and I love pecans and cranberries!! By the way, I've really enjoyed reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bread making is an art I'm yet to master... Your bread looks delicious! Maybe I'll take a look at this part of the Baking Handbook myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I work for Bass Pecan Company If you have any pecan recipes of your own enter them in a chance to win $1000 at our website www.basspecan.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice bread. It contains cranberry which prevents from lots of disease like asthma, heart disease, urinary tract infection and kidney stone.

    the

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you know how wonderful your website is? I can always count on finding what I need by searching your site... I am making a family favorite for an appetizer tomorrow -- Mom calls it "Peasant Rye Dip"... You cut a bowl out of a loaf of rye bread, dump your dip in, and cut up the extra pieces...

    I NEEDED a recipe for Rye bread since my German bakery doesn't make Rye bread -- and what kind of bakery doesn't make rye bread?!?!!

    *deep breath*

    Back to my point! Thank you for your lovely instructions and amazing website... it is always very helpful/ useful/ inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow this bread looks very deli and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this last night, and was eating it all day today it was so good. I haven't made a ton of breads but I have made quite a bit, and this one is a keeper for sure. The cranberry pecan combo go so well with the slightly salty rye flavor. Skeptics rest assured, this is worth the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover