Friday, July 24, 2009

Soldier Boy

soldier boy
These cookies are special. A blog reader asked me to make them for her husband who was coming home from a year long deployment in Afghanistan. I know from watching my sister whose husband came home from Iraq last year what an emotional and happy time it is when they finally come home!!! I was happy that the cookies could be a just little part of it for this family.
soldier boys 3
soldiers flags stars
Because I've never made soldiers before, I was nervous, but in the end...I'm a little in love with them. :)

All week, I've had that 1960's song by The Shirelles "Soldier Boy" running through my head....
Soldier Boy,
oh, my little soldier boy,
I'll be true to you....
soldiers flags

Here's how to make them:
  1. Using a #2 tip and olive green icing (AmeriColor Avocado mixed with Super Black and Lemon Yellow) pipe in the putline of the shirt, pants and hat.
  2. With a #2 tip, pipe the outline of the face and hands using a flesh tone icing. (AmeriColor Copper/Fleshtone)
  3. Thin olive green, ivory, brown (for the camouflage) and flesh tone icing to the consistency of syrup. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit several minutes.(AmeriColor Ivory and Chocolate Brown)
  4. Stir gently to pop bubbles that have formed on top. Pour into a squeeze bottle and fill in outline of the face and hands with flesh tone. Use a toothpick to coax the icing into all corners and to edges.
  5. Fill in the shirt and pants with olive green, ivory and brown. Use a toothpick to swirl slightly.
  6. Let dry at least one hour.
  7. Using a #1 tip, pipe hair in brown icing.
  8. With the black icing and a #2 tip, pipe eyes on the face, make a belt and draw on shoes.
  9. With red icing and a #1 tip, pipe on a smile. (AmeriColor Super Red)
  10. With olive green icing and a #1 or 2 tip, pipe over the edges of the clothes and cap. Add button and pocket details to the shirt.
  11. Let dry overnight and give to a soldier! :)
Welcome Home, Dale!!!
soldier boy close

Want to support the troops? Check out these organizations:

32 comments:

  1. Love it. Your ideas are always SOOOOO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the little flags, too. What a wonderful welcome home gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love their uniforms and their happy faces! Did a great job as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. I will have to make these next year when my soldier returns home. Thanks for the tutorial on how to make the camo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these. What a great welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are soooo adorable. I wish I lived close to you so I could pick up some cookies from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful thing for you to do! and they look great! you are soooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are awesome...that's all I can say...awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those came out great! Especially the uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About how long will your cookies stay fresh if they are packaged in individual celephane bags? I am planning on making some but I don't know how far ahead they can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at the little uniforms! You are such a GENIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what nice cookies! I m sure they were very well received :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the uniforms are amazing. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Bridgett..these are absolutely the cutest!! What a great job!! I love his little face!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so cute! No need to be nervous, you did and always do a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sono bellissimi!
    Complimenti,
    ciao!
    Amalia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job Bridget! These are so detailed -I love them with the stars and flags :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, those are so amazing!! You did an excellent job! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!
    YOU BREAK YOUR OWN RECORD EVERY TIME!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing!!!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love our Welcome home cookies. The soldiers are so cute and we are having a wonderful time with Dale home! Thanks so much for the delicious and adorable cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute!! Love these guys!! Thanks for sharing!

    http://yummyanonymous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this. You are so talented!!! I happened upon your blog a few days ago and am so amazed by all that you have done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, these are adorable! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. awww how patriotic and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I saw them on Heather's page and I am in LOVE with them! Truely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG! Those are just tooo cute!! I'm in love too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love these perfect for a military family i know my little man would want these just cuz they would be a daddy cookie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover