Soldier Boy

soldier boy
These cookies are special. A blog reader asked me to make them for her husband who was coming home from a year long deployment in Afghanistan. I know from watching my sister whose husband came home from Iraq last year what an emotional and happy time it is when they finally come home!!! I was happy that the cookies could be a just little part of it for this family.
soldier boys 3
soldiers flags stars
Because I've never made soldiers before, I was nervous, but in the end...I'm a little in love with them. :)

All week, I've had that 1960's song by The Shirelles "Soldier Boy" running through my head....
Soldier Boy,
oh, my little soldier boy,
I'll be true to you....
soldiers flags

Here's how to make them:
  1. Using a #2 tip and olive green icing (AmeriColor Avocado mixed with Super Black and Lemon Yellow) pipe in the putline of the shirt, pants and hat.
  2. With a #2 tip, pipe the outline of the face and hands using a flesh tone icing. (AmeriColor Copper/Fleshtone)
  3. Thin olive green, ivory, brown (for the camouflage) and flesh tone icing to the consistency of syrup. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit several minutes.(AmeriColor Ivory and Chocolate Brown)
  4. Stir gently to pop bubbles that have formed on top. Pour into a squeeze bottle and fill in outline of the face and hands with flesh tone. Use a toothpick to coax the icing into all corners and to edges.
  5. Fill in the shirt and pants with olive green, ivory and brown. Use a toothpick to swirl slightly.
  6. Let dry at least one hour.
  7. Using a #1 tip, pipe hair in brown icing.
  8. With the black icing and a #2 tip, pipe eyes on the face, make a belt and draw on shoes.
  9. With red icing and a #1 tip, pipe on a smile. (AmeriColor Super Red)
  10. With olive green icing and a #1 or 2 tip, pipe over the edges of the clothes and cap. Add button and pocket details to the shirt.
  11. Let dry overnight and give to a soldier! :)
Welcome Home, Dale!!!
soldier boy close

Want to support the troops? Check out these organizations:
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig