Thursday, July 30, 2009

Flavor of the Month...Texas Peach Pie

flavor large
peach pie w ice cream
There is something about making a fruit pie that makes me feel like my grandmother and a domestic goddess all rolled into one. Fruit pies are so homey and comforting, but since they've been surpassed by the cupcake, the cake truffle, the cookie...they also feel a bit exotic.

Peaches are probably my favorite part of Texas summers. (Actually, they might be one of the only redeeming things about Texas summers!) This year I decided to try a pie that I've wanted to make for 12 years. And, let me tell you, I won't wait 12 more to make another one. It was delicious!!!
peach pie filled single

We received a Williams-Sonoma Pies & Tarts cookbook for our wedding over 12 years ago. I always get seduced by the cherry and pumpkin pies....but not this time.
peach pie filled
For the crust, I decided to give a new recipe a try and it was a winner. It comes from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. It was THE BEST piecrust I've ever made...and I was pretty happy with the one I had been using, so that's saying something! :)
peach pie baked

Texas Peach Pie

(modified from my old William-Sonoma's Pies & Tarts cookbook)

pie pastry for a double crust pie (recipe follows)
6 cups peeled, pitted and sliced Texas peaches (ok...or another state's peaches if you must)
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
2 TBSP unsalted butter
beaten egg
sparkling sugar

Preheat oven to 425. Roll out dough for bottom crust and line a 9" pie pan. (Optional: brush bottom crust with lightly beaten egg white...it works to prevent a soggy crust!) Roll out dough and cut into strips for a lattice top and set aside.

Place peaches in a bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss to coat. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add to the peaches and stir gently to combine.

Pile the fruit into the dough-lined pan. Dot with bits of butter.

Use the strips to make a lattice top. Brush beaten egg on top of lattice and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.

Bake for 25 minutes, the reduce heat to 350 and bake about 25 minutes longer, until bubbly and top is browned. You may need to cover the edges during baking...I did.


crust rolled out
{See that marble pastry board? A gift from my dad...perfect for rolling piecrusts!}
flaky crust
For the crust:
(modified from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion)

2 & 1/2 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 c. cold shortening (Crisco)
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 to 1/2 c. ice water

Reserve a few tablespoons of flour, set aside. Whisk together remaining flour and salt. Cut in the shortening until it is crumbly.

Place the reserved flour on work surface and coat butter in it. Use a rolling pin or your hand to flatten the butter until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Break the flour-coated butter into 1 inch pieces and mix into the dough until it is evenly distributed.

Sprinkle water over the dough while tossing with a fork just until it is easily squeezed into a ball. Flatten into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.

On a floured surface, roll each disk into a 12 x 9" rectangle (approx). Fold into thirds, like a letter, then fold again in thirds to form a square. Wrap both pieces again and refrigerate 30 more minutes.

After 30 minutes, let rest at room temperature for 5 minutes, then roll out to the size needed.


peach pie peek
{One small side note...that ice cream is Haagen Dazs 5 Ingredient Vanilla...AMAZING!}

I can't wait to see what you all came up with!!! Please take some time and go check out the others participating in FOTM. :)

August's Flavor-of-the-Month theme: Pucker Up! Lemon, Lime or a combination...oh, the possibilities! Anyone can join in, please do!

Thank you so much for participating....or even if you didn't, thanks for visiting!

Here's where you link up...
(I'm new at this, too...here's hoping it works!)
The list will close in the wee hours of August 1st to discourage spammers.

44 comments:

  1. Yum. I think I've had this pie before!

    We must sit and chat about how you did the rounded corners on the pictures and other cool tricks, k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH! That looks AWESOME! I have some peaches in our freezer, I am SO going to try this! - I will cheat though, I don't make crust, I will buy the roll out Pillsbury dough! LOL

    ~TidyMom

    PS- got pictures of our smiley face cookies posted on my blog too! - thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say........you pictures are AMAZING! and thanks, I'm now going to bed with PIE on the brain! LOL

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the event! It was a lot of fun and your pie looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pie looks delish!! I entered my link. Thanks for hosting this carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME pie! I just added that KAF book to my Amazon wish list last night ;-) I have a Martha crust recipe I love (all butter) and have been wanting to try a butter/shortening combo to see the difference.

    And love August's theme - already have something in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved doing this thanks for hosting, I love lemon and lime! I have a few ideas for this one! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pie- this is a fun "flavor", and I can't wait for lemon/lime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for next month! I have the BEST recipe with lime in it :-)

    P.S. I'm trying to NOT seethe with jealousy over the fact Kristen lives right next door to you and has eaten some of your peach pie. Ugh! The injustice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is the prettiest peach pie i have ever seen. soooo perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that looks amazing. I'm going to have to make that soon!
    Thanks!
    Dorci

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pie! There's a special place in my heart for lattice-topped pies...something about them always makes them taste better! I always forget how much I like peach pie, so thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big Mama's Pecan Pie....I think that your link is not working. (Or is it just me?) If you want, re-link and I'll delete your old one.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pie looks amazing! And I am putting that cookbook on my wish list, haha.

    I LOVE lemon and lime stuff, especially lime. I'll have to start thinking of what to do now, because I'm sure I'll have lots of trouble deciding! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for doing the Flavor of the Month! That pie looks awesome! I've got peaches that are screaming for a pie right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok I'm confused. Am I supposed to leave a link with my pie entry. Sorry for such a dumb question, but I'm just not sure how this all works.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jen....go down to the list part of this post. Click where it says, "You are next...click here."

    A little form will pop up. Enter your title in the first one, such as Beantown Baker (Pizza Pie). Then in the second box, paste in your post URL. To get that, click on your pie post. Your URL for that post is in your address bar.

    I just clicked over to your blog. Your URL for that post is:
    http://www.beantownbaker.com/2009/07/its-pizza-pie.html

    I PROMISE once you do it one time, you'll get it. ;)

    We need to see that pizza pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok I feel really dumb. I swear I'm not this dense... I don't see anywhere to link. I see the part that says "Here's where you link up...
    (I'm new at this, too...here's hoping it works!)" but, none of that is clicky for me... I get what I'm supposed to enter once I find the place to enter it... Sorry I'm so clueless today. I apparently have Friday brain...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen....do not feel bad! I had Friday brain last night. Went on a walk at 7:30PM, passed another walker and told him "good morning!" He busted out laughing!

    Anyway...scroll down to the end of the list. I think there 27 links right now. After the last link is where you will see "you're next." Click there.

    Hope you're not wondering what you've gotten yourself in to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG I swear this is the first time I've seen the list. Every other time, I saw where it said to add your link, but the list wasn't there. Whew. It worked. Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am going to get Coopers Farm peaches in Conroe next week. Perfect recipe to use them with! Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow. You've had a great turn-out. I'm working on my blueberry pie right now. It's been a crazy month... but I'm determined to get it done and posted before midnight... hold the linky open for me... please!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bridget, this was fun! I love your pie! I forget about doing a lattice. My pie shells don't always turn out good. This was a new crust recipe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I created a blog and baked a pie, but didn't get the post made yet. Maybe I'll just post a link in a comment once I get it done after my company leaves.

    Thanks for the fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok... I missed the mcklinky, but here's a link to my post.

    http://daytodaydi.blogspot.com/

    Please ignore the goofiness of my post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bridget, thanks for being my very first visitor/commenter! I understand about the linky being closed. No problem. I 'll definitely join in next month. I'm already brainstorming.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! That is some pie! The crust is amazing. Thought I'd found the perfect pie crust, but clearly I'm going to have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's a pretty good turn out the first time around!

    Very fun. Still deciding what to do for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was a lot of fun! Can't wait until next month!!! Thanks for coming up with such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh that's really.... ahhhh....ooohhhhh....... I am licking the screen. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your pie looks fabulous! Sorry I missed the flavor of the month, I'll be thinking of sour recipes!:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, I've missed the deadline.
    I'll be making 72 assorted mini pies this week. I'll post a link to your blog anyway!! Sorry I missed it.
    Your peach pie looks awesome. Peaches are one of my favorites too.
    Unfortunately, by the time fresh peaches make it to Vermont,they're not very good.
    from Debbie Downer.

    ReplyDelete
  34. this pie looks amazing. can I make it with apples instead of peaches?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Question for August... are you looking for "baking" recipes and dishes, or are you good if it's more like a main dish type thing?

    Just wondering.

    And thanks for coming by and keeping the linky open for me. The blueberry pie was SO yummy.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Donna....I'm always thinking more in baking terms...or ice cream...or cocktails...:). Whatever you want, though; go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. La Pixie...I know you could use the same crust. I would probably google apple pie recipes to get the sugar right. Don't know if it would be a change from the peaches off the top of my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. :( I missed this... I had family visiting Cancun for 5 weeks, and was in and out of town almost every day... had a great time, too! I'll try to make it to next month's theme...

    ReplyDelete
  39. so sad i missed this past month (i was moving and still don't have a stocked kitchen!) but will definitely try to make august. your pie looks so good, love that dreamy photo of your flaky crust!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I made this pie yesterday. I think I used too many peaches. Maybe I should have measured :) It was messy but ohhh so good. I'm going to post pictures and the recipe on my blog with links back to you, if that is ok. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sure Krista! That would be great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congrats on the event! It was a lot of fun and your pie looks AMAZING!

    ___________________
    Smarry
    Online Marketing of your brand

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just made this pie and it's cooling! I can't wait to taste! Thanks!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover