Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Coconut Cake

Although I didn't make this for Mother's Day, I'm going to call it Mother's Day Coconut Cake. Why? It's the last dessert I remember eating and making with my mom.
coconut cake on plate
I was visiting my mom...and she was really sick. I think she knew that she was not long for this world and was trying to get in some of her favorites. There was Ben & Jerry's in the freezer and she sent me to Frulatti in the mall for a certain smoothie. And, she wanted cake....this coconut cake.

The fact that she let me do most of the baking of the cake made it obvious that she was pretty ill. To be perfectly honest, we were a little spoiled growing up. My mom (and dad) cooked FOR us. We didn't do a whole lot of cooking together. We mainly enjoyed the fruits of their labor. :) When my sister and I would come home for a visit, Mom had freshly baked cookies, chocolate dipped pretzels and probably an ice cream pie (or two!) waiting in the freezer. {Not to sell my dad short, I didn't know any other kids whose dads made pancakes for them before school and before they went to work. He also makes a mean upside-down apple pie.}

So, I'll always remember my mom each time I make this cake. Not in a sad way, but thankful. Thankful that she gave me this love of good food. Thankful for everything.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you! Give your mom an extra hug today!
coconut cake and ice cream
This is a really easy, moist and delicious cake! My son who "doesn't like coconut" did a little dance upon tasting it and declared it the "best cake ever." {More on the "best chocolate ice cream ever" to go with it in a future post...promise!}

Coconut cake

1 box white cake mix
1/4 c. oil
3 eggs
1 carton sour cream (8 oz.)
1 (15.5 oz) can creme of coconut

Icing

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1 box powdered sugar (1 lb.)
4 TBSP milk
Angel Flake coconut

Lightly grease a 9 X 13" pan. Mix cake ingredients and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

Beat cream cheese with the powdered sugar and milk. Spread over cake and cover with coconut. Store in refrigerator.

More for mom...

30 comments:

  1. I love to read about your Mom and how you were spoiled... I hope my children will remember me the same way you and I remember our Moms...
    Mmm... I will make this cake! Happy Mothers Day, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I think I may just make it today. (I also like to make my own birthday cake. That's fun for me. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe and the precious memories of your mom.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom would be so proud of the happy food you make and share with the world! Happy Mother's Day, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! That cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Bridget- Thank You for this post! I hope you are having a wonderful day! I will always remember the turtle ice cream pie that Aunt Gayle would have almost every summer I visted for Molly's half birthday! I was so jealous you guys celebrated 1/2 birthdays!!! I think the LOVE for food is in our genetic makeup :) I will have to try this cake next XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. This IS a nice post. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Coconut Cake looks really good. Happy Mother's Day Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post and tribute to your parents. Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yum! I'll have to try this, and soon. :-)

    Happy (belated) Mother's Day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing that little story with us! I have fond memories of my mom and coconut cake too, except (and don't cringe), it's with the frozen Pepperidge Farm 3-Layer Coconut Cake. My mom would buy this cake on special occasions and I just love it. I ask for it sometimes on my birthday. It's just so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came across your blog and LOVE it!! I love seeing all the different decorated cookies :)
    Will have to make a note of this cake as it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! I love cocnut cake. I made one from scratch with a recipe a while back but this looks much easier. The ingridents are going on my shopping list for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Mother's Day to you! This cake looks absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julia....I seem to remember that Pepperidge Farm cake being really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!!! Thanks for the touching story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's the perfect name for that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post! The cake looks very nice and it's really nice that food can take us places like that. I hope you had a very Happy Mother's Day. I miss my mom, too!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet post!! I love reading stories like that. The cake looks delicious and I am trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I can't wait to try this recipe out. The trouble is I am having a hard time finding the creme of coconut in my supermarket. I've looked in the dairy aisle, baking aisle with condensed milks and even the produce around whole coconuts. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  20. saj...try looking in the "international" section. I always have to search high and low for it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tip. When/where ever I find it, I think I'll pick up a couple. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing! I was/am pretty spoiled too! My parents were/are wonderful, I'm blessed.

    Hope you had a wonderful mother's day!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Bridget,

    We're having Hawaiian night tonight. We're watching Elvis' Paradise, Hawaiian Style and eating a Hawaiian dinner. I'm making your coconut cake for dessert. I was looking for the creme of coconut at the store and only saw coconut milk. Are they the same thing?

    Thanks,
    Dorci

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just wanted to say nevermind! Did a little google search and found out that creme of coconut is NOT the same as coconut milk. And I actually found it in the liquor isle! Anyway, we all loved your cake. It was the perfect ending to our fun Hawaiian night. Thank you!

    Dorci

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dorci....I'm so glad you found it! That was going to be my other suggestion...the mixed drink aisle. :)

    Your party sounds like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow!this looks adorable healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just made this, and it was a HUGE hit. Wanted to say thank you.

    http://delightsbydanielle.blogspot.com/2011/04/coconut-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. i felt your love for your mom coming out of the screen. i love my momma something fierce and I will make sure she knows it today.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your cake and story. Mom spoiled us silly with fabulous everything and she even made pb&j look pretty by how she cut it and put in the plate. My favorite cake from her was her banana cream...slice cake layers horizontally so you have four, frost each with whipped cream as you build it then layer each with bananas thinly sliced long way and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Think i need a slice of hers and yours! Yum

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover