Mother's Day Coconut Cake

Although I didn't make this for Mother's Day, I'm going to call it Mother's Day Coconut Cake. Why? It's the last dessert I remember eating and making with my mom.
coconut cake on plate
I was visiting my mom...and she was really sick. I think she knew that she was not long for this world and was trying to get in some of her favorites. There was Ben & Jerry's in the freezer and she sent me to Frulatti in the mall for a certain smoothie. And, she wanted cake....this coconut cake.

The fact that she let me do most of the baking of the cake made it obvious that she was pretty ill. To be perfectly honest, we were a little spoiled growing up. My mom (and dad) cooked FOR us. We didn't do a whole lot of cooking together. We mainly enjoyed the fruits of their labor. :) When my sister and I would come home for a visit, Mom had freshly baked cookies, chocolate dipped pretzels and probably an ice cream pie (or two!) waiting in the freezer. {Not to sell my dad short, I didn't know any other kids whose dads made pancakes for them before school and before they went to work. He also makes a mean upside-down apple pie.}

So, I'll always remember my mom each time I make this cake. Not in a sad way, but thankful. Thankful that she gave me this love of good food. Thankful for everything.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you! Give your mom an extra hug today!
coconut cake and ice cream
This is a really easy, moist and delicious cake! My son who "doesn't like coconut" did a little dance upon tasting it and declared it the "best cake ever." {More on the "best chocolate ice cream ever" to go with it in a future post...promise!}

Coconut cake

1 box white cake mix
1/4 c. oil
3 eggs
1 carton sour cream (8 oz.)
1 (15.5 oz) can creme of coconut

Icing

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1 box powdered sugar (1 lb.)
4 TBSP milk
Angel Flake coconut

Lightly grease a 9 X 13" pan. Mix cake ingredients and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

Beat cream cheese with the powdered sugar and milk. Spread over cake and cover with coconut. Store in refrigerator.

More for mom...
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig