Thursday, September 25, 2008

Something different...Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls

No cookies today...I thought I would supplement the cookies with a few other baked goodies here and there. What do you think?
So, here is my project from yesterday....Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls. These are originally inspired by Bakerella. If you haven't been to her blog, go now! (I'll wait!) :) Months ago, I bookmarked her Red Velvet Cake Balls and added them to my "must make" list.

A few weeks later, I got an email from my girlfriend, Terri, about making cake balls. Then, last week, my sister emailed me with two other sites, here and here, on making cake balls. I thought this must be a sign, I needed to make cake balls!

This time of year, I really have a thing for pumpkin....I cannot get enough, so I made Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls. Mine are nowhere near as pretty as Bakerella's; I'm going to call them rustic. :) I added some chocolate jimmies because I had them on hand. They were such a hit. My son & I took them to a group we meet every week. I had 4 requests for the recipe within 1 minute!

See the "rustic" crack and cake showing through? :)

The possibilities are endless! I can't wait to try these again with other flavors. Let me know if you try these...I'd love to see your combinations!

....my son really had a good time helping to make these as well; this is a fun and messy project for kids!......

Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls

1 box French Vanilla cake mix (or yellow or plain vanilla)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 can cream cheese frosting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
chocolate candy melts or almond bark

Beat everything together (ending with the eggs) according to the package instructions and bake in a 13 X 9" pan. Make sure the cake is completely baked (no gooey middle) before removing from the oven. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Crumble the cake apart in a bowl and add most of the can of cream cheese. Using your fingers, mix together until the cake holds together when formed into a ball. Add more frosting of necessary. Roll into balls of about a 2 bite size. This should make about 50. Place on cookie sheets lined with wax paper and refrigerate several hours.

When ready to dip, melt the candy melts (I used two bags of melts total) a 1/2 bag at a time following the directions on the package. Roll with a spoon and place on another waxed paper lined sheet. Scatter on sprinkles if using while the chocolate is still wet. Store at room temperature.

30 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? Yours came out great!!! They looked good! A few of my cake balls cracked as well. I think they expand a bit as they sit. I am printing out your recipe and slapping it on the top of my must make stack! I'm with ya there's nothing like pumpkin in the Fall. I like apples but perfer pumpkin!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the red velvet cake balls a while back, and they really are good! I love your idea of using pumpkin spice cake, it's very fitting for the season. Yours look great, and I bet they tasted fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE BAKERELLA!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh what a great idea to use pumpkin! I had a very hard time dipping my cake balls too- I said the exact same thing- "mine are a rustic version of bakerella's"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny, Emily Rose! Don't you just love that word "rustic" for food? It covers a multitude of sins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, pumpkin is so good. I'll definitely have to try this and maybe add it to my Holiday goody gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really yummy. I havent made cake balls since last Christmas. I just don't have it in me. Last holiday season I must have made like 500 of these things. Yours look delicious though. I might try those for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pumpkin spice was a excellent choice. I'm with you, all things pumpkin this time of year. From the treats that I make to the scent of my candles, I love pumpkin! My husbands favorite cake is a confetti cake so I made confetti cake balls awhile ago. He was in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think they look great! And, I am so excited because I was wondering what to make with the french vanilla cake mix my DH bought. Being fall, I really wanted a spice cake today. I happen to have pumpkin in the pantry also. Yeah! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget, I will be trying these out! I am not a big pumpkin fan but I started making Gooey Pumpkin Cakes (Paula Deen)a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving. Oh my, they are so good! Family and friends at Thanksgiving gobble(no pun intended)the cake up and my daughter always wants Gooey Pumpkin for her birthday cake. Her birthday is in November.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made cake balls several times. In fact I need to post my Oreo Truffles today. These look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful variation! A combination of many of my favorite flavors and a lovely Bakerella recipe! I am so glad to have discovered this site!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! Can't wait to add these to my holiday arsenal, I'm going to be a big hit on Halloween! I do love pumpkin . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously, your blog is so tasty I put on weight just by looking at your pictures. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made the cream cheese frosting from scratch and added juice from 3 lemons to it. Delicious.
    Just put the balls in the fridge, going to dip them in the morning.
    So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there,
    I know this post is old....but hopefully you get this question and can help me out! I plan on making these for thanksgiving, and I have a jar of pumpkin pie spice on hand. If I use it instead of the individual spices, how much would you suggest I use?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to try these for Thanksgiving....What would make them crack? Can you put too much icing in them to hold them together? Thanks in advance!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why cream cheese frosting? I'd love to make these but no one in my house really cares for cream cheese. Is there any particular reason to use cream cheese or could I use something else?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! this is an special recipe I never thought it was made of pumpkins, actually this is my favorite ingredient, I think I'm gonna right now to prepare this delicious Spice Cake Balls.m10m

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this site looks great![:
    I might bookmark it & use for future reference. keep up the great work!<3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I love mallows toppings with chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! These are going to be perfect for my Halloween party! I wanted to make pumpkin spice cake pops, but I hadn't seen a recipe and thought I was going to have to cobble together my own. I'm always hesitant to try out a "made-up" recipe for a party without testing it first (and I definitely don't need a batch of test cake pops just sitting around the house with just my husband and me to eat them...). Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello!
    Love, love, love your site!
    How far in advance can you make these Pumpkin Cake Balls? Can you freeze them? It would seem that freezing or refrigerating might make them "sweat" as they return to room temp? Thanks for your help! I'm going to have a Pumpkin Cake Ball party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a question. The recipe on the cake box says to add 3 eggs. Do I still need to add 4 additional eggs to the cake mix (for a total of 7 eggs), or do I just add 4 eggs total? Please clarify as I am trying to make this for a party this weekend... Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover