Thursday, July 10, 2008

A new way to monogram

I've already posted about using royal icing to make cookie monograms, but take a look at a twist on that technique. Recently, I took a cupcake decorating class taught by Karen Tack of Hello Cupcake and I've been reading a wonderful blog, Bakerella. Both Karen and Bakerella use candy melts to do some beautiful decorating, so I thought I would give them a try for monogramming cookies.

Candy melts are easy to find. WalMart even has a limited supply in their craft section. They are simply melted (on the stovetop or microwave) and they are ready to use. Food coloring and/or flavoring (they taste like chocolate on their own) can be added to them.** Pour the melted melts into a disposable decorating bag fitted with a plain tip...I used a #2 tip.

{**update: you'll need to use special "candy making" colors and flavors.  Do not use the ones intended for cookie and cake decorating.**}}
  I needed "g's" for some baby shower cookies I am making for this weekend...more on those later. I printed out G's and traced the letters on wax paper, just like using royal icing. While they were still wet, I sprinkled white non-pareils on top. Once a tray was filled, I popped in the fridge for a few minutes. Once set, the letters can be removed from the paper and stored in a container at room temperature.Here's the big difference between candy melts and royal icing monograms, the candy melts peeled off the wax paper like a dream! No breakage, whatsoever! The only drawback I see is that the "white" candy melts are not white, but more of a white chocolate color...creamy. This might pose a problem trying to match a monogram color to a royal icing color on the cookie.

I just couldn't bear to throw out all of the extra melted goodness :) last night, so I made a little something for my son's breakfast this morning.

26 comments:

  1. I want a breakfast like that!!! Fun!!!

    Love,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT AN AWESOME MOM AND AN AWESOME BREAKFAST :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try this and the monograms are unique looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I bet Jack loved his breakfast! I can't wait to see the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. You qualify. And I'll be back for tips. I want to attempt cookies like done like these. I'm not that good at piping though, so don't laugh when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I've seen your blog, Bakerella...I don't believe for a second that you're not good at piping! :)

    So glad I qualify for adoption! Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT instructions--thanks!! I've used the white food coloring and love it--it made my ivory buttercream pretty much pure white! Just a couple drops did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need some help! I melted some the white candy melts (enough to practice a few monograms) in the microwave in a bowl. But it never seemed to come to the consistency I needed to pour it into a squeeze bottle or decorating bag. Then, I just spooned it into the squeeze bottle and proceeded to try and trace my monograms. What size font did you use for your g's? I did size 88 Curlz font, and the tip of my squeeze bottle was almost too big to trace them. The melted substance kept breaking into lines as it came out of the bottle, almost as though it was drying as it came out. I was so discouraged! I really wanted it to work. Please help!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. loveatfirstbite...I'm sorry I'm just now getting back to you...I've been out of town.

    I used a disposable patry bag with a #2 tip for the monograms. I don't remember the exact font size. I play around with it based on the size of my cookie cutter and font. View the font at 100% and holf your cookies cutter to the screen to see the fit.

    I hope you had some better luck!!!
    ~Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely and the possibilities are endless! Thank you for sharing - I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made some last night. Do you have a hint for containing the sprinkles? It was like having thousands of bouncy balls all over the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim!

    I sprinkle them onto a rimmed cookie sheet. Then, I CAREFULLY pour them off into a coffee filter and use that as a kind of funnel to get them back into the bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great idea! Candy melts are easy to use than Royal Icing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! Oh! I have a great tip that will change your lives! I LOVE to share tips!

    Kim asked how to keep the sprinkles from going all over the place and I have the perfect tool. At Michael's, they sell a small blue tray with a corked funnel. It is for use with embossing powder for stampers. It is PERFECT! When you are done, you take the cork out, tilt the tray and pour the sprinkles right back in the bottle.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa...this is an AWESOME tip!!! Thank you! I'm going to look for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice monograms! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there any substitute for candy melts to do monograms? Specifically I am looking for something non-dairy and think these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an excellent idea when I prepare a cake, I could get some perfect tips to decorating my next cake, and the idea of using candy melts it's what I'm gonna apply.m10m

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Bridget -

    I have white food coloring and it does work! I have only used it in my buttercream, but I imagine it would work wonderfully in candy melts also! If I try I will be sure to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love candy melts a lot...it seems to be very Delicious and yummy....i also wish to get these as in my breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this idea...you are amazing! I made some little K monograms last night for a new baby girl. One tip on using white food color....make sure it is for candy. I tried using my Americolor bright white (icing color) and the melted candy seized up. I know they make a coloring specifically for candies. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merckens do a "super white" candy melt.

    Also, you can't use any of your regular food colours or flavourings with candy melts. You have to buy chocolate colours and flavours, which are oil based. If you use gel colours or essences in candy melts, just as with chocolate, it will seize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylee...you are so right. This is a really old post and in need of updating! I've learned a lot about candy melts since then! ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  23. Bridget,
    I realize this questions comes a long while after the original post. I apologize. I was wondering, how long did you wait, after you piped the chocolate, to place the sprinkles? My fear is that the sprinkles would mess the piping up. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover