The edge on this cookie was finished in gold lustre dust.
This "squiggle cake" is a really simple design and still one of my absolute favorites! Here's how to make them:
- Outline cookies in white royal icing, using a #2 or #3 tip.
- Thin icing with water to the consistency of syrup. Let sit for several minutes covered with a damp dishtowel. Use a rubber spatula and run through the icing after sitting to break most of the air bubbles that have risen to the top. Pour this into a squeeze bottle.
- Fill in cookies with the thinned flood icing, using a toothpick to guide into corners.
- Let dry at least 1 hour.
- Using a #1 or #2 tip (these cookies were piped with a #2, look at the top pic for #1 tip example), squeeze piping icing in a free-form squiggle pattern. (Be sure on this design to fill your piping bag no more than half full....any more and your hand will start to hurt and cramp....trust me...it's a lot of squeezing!) :)
- Ta-da! Place in a bag and tie with coordinating ribbon.