Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cookies for soldiers: part 2

Thank you to everyone who volunteered to make cookies for the soldiers for Father's Day! Here's a peek at our contribution. I figured decorated cookies weren't going to make it traveling all those miles, so we made checkerboard cookies and peanut butter cookies.
I wanted to send something chocolate, but thought that chocolate chips might be a mess, so I decided on these checkerboard cookies made with vanilla and chocolate dough. The recipe and instructions come from The King Arthur Cookie Companion. The cookies aren't hard to make, they just take a little time. There is a lot of cutting (my bench scraper worked best for this) and stacking, but a lot of the time is letting them rest in the freezer between cuts.
This has to be my favorite part of the package. I asked my son to make a Father's Day card or picture for the soldiers and this is what he can up with. You can see what constitutes a celebration in our house...cookies & beer! :) I know his grandfather is so proud!

1-2-3-4 Peanut Butter Cookies (this is a great recipe for cookies in a hurry, you probably have these items on hand):
adapted from The King Arthur Cookie Companion

1 c peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, not low-fat or natural)

1 lg egg

1 c sugar

1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheets with parchment. Beat together all ingredients until smooth. Drop by the teaspoonful into baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until cookies appear set. Cool on the pan 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

(The recipe states this makes 4 dozen; I got exactly 26 out of each batch.)

17 comments:

  1. Your blog is nice.
    I’m so moving.

    Link me please.

    http://moppon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cookies!! They look so awesome hopefully those soldiers get some BEER too! b/c nothing is better than BEER AND COOKIES :) That card is adorable J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the drawing! And the cookies look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the cookies! love the drawing! So cute! I know the soldiers will love those. The checker boards are so cool. I will have to make the peanut butter next week! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridget,
    I made those same PB cookies! I meant to take pics and forgot. I have been running around so and getting used to my schedule here in MS and baseball games. I am sure the soldier will enjoy your son's drawing. Really cute!!! I will have to try the checkerboard cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think alike, Montee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great cookie rally... you will be making some men and women happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture, and yes beer and cookies are great.
    pop

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of those cookies you made look so yummy. I'm going to have to try those peanutbutter cookies and while I'm at it the chocolate and vanilla ones-they turn out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness....that is too funny! Your little one sounds cute! Bet you have a few more funnies of his to share!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello - i am trying to get some info on starting something or a group to send cookies overseas...wasnt sure if you could help - if so please email me at omemc1@live.com THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow actually you right that kind of cookies just take some time but they are delicious I couldn't help with that day because I had to work but I guess they really enjoy them.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made these the other night and they were very yummy and very addictive! :) I featured them on my blog so hopefully that will bring some more traffice to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good cookies perfect for soldiers appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does this recipe not contain any flour?

    ReplyDelete
  16. this recipe is so simple i was wondering if you could add oats? or if you could turn them into thumbprint cookies or something? the simplicity of them is so shocking i feel like they would be a good base for experimentation but i don't want to mess anything up. help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover