Sunday, December 23, 2007

Flood Icing

Flood icing is simply royal icing with water added to make a consistency to "flood" or fill in the outlined design. It's best to go slow, adding a little water at a time to get to a syrup-y consistency. The more cookies you decorate, the more you'll get a feel for it. If your icing ends up a little thin (like water), add sifted powdered sugar or some leftover icing from outlining to your flood icing.

Once the flood icing is "just right", cover it with a damp towel and let sit for several minutes. Using a rubber spatula (I love these!), run gently through the icing to break up the air bubbles that have risen to the top. Now pour into squeeze bottles. These can be found in the candy making section of any craft or bakery supply store. Walmart even carries them! You could also pour the flood icing into a pastry bag fitted with a tip. I used to do this before I discovered squeeze bottles...I wouldn't recommend it, though...it's a mess! :)

Onto the outlined cookies, squeeze the flood icing in a zigzag pattern. I usually do 3 -4 at a time. Don't worry, the icing won't harden by the time you get back to it and it gives the icing time to spread. Using a toothpick, spread the icing to cover the cookie.

This is how mine look, more or less, before spreading with a toothpick.

11 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure how to spread the icing, a toothpick is a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long do you have to let them dry? i made some for the first time and I'm unsure on drying time.. I made them about 14 hours ago and still wet - is that normal? Also how long do you let them dry before adding any other decorations? (christamac1@hotmail.com) thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christa!

    Usually overnight for me is 8-10 hours. They should be dry. It could be that the flood icing was a little too thin and that's why they're not drying. If it's really humid, that will slow down the drying as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, I just tried this for the first time and my already high level of respect for your cookies has gone even higher! My first three were a disaster. The next ones were a little better but I think we'll be eating them at home instead of taking them to a party like I'd originally planned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long is "several minutes"? More like 5? or closer to 30? Our cookies had pitted dots all over them. Im wondering if we thinned it too much, if that also had something to do with it?
    Love your blog! Have spent many of hours studding getting ready for my first attempt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant!!! needed to know this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you make the royal icing shiny? Mine is very dull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many minutes take cooking icing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. Can you please give me some tips on how to avoid the small holes in the royal icing when it dries? And how to make it shiny? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I have never tried this but am thinking of doing them for a party what could i use to do the outline icing if i dont have a special thing? :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover