Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tips on tips

There are a lot of icing tips to choose from, but for decorating cookies, you only need a few. The tips I use the most are the plain rounded tips...#1, #2 and #3 (the numbers are printed on the tips). Tips 2 and 3 are perfect for piping outlines; the #1 tip is wonderful for personalization and small detail work. It's nice to have a few larger round tips on hand for larger dots. When used with a coupler, seen in the picture, tips can easily be easily changed on the same icing bag.

4 comments:

  1. This is so good. I love getting all this information. I've had questions about a lot of these things and wished you were here to tell me how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you have questions about and I'll try to post about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but hopefully you get notified regarding comments. :)
    I love the detail that a #1 can provide...however, I'm forever (I mean like every single time) having clogging problems with #1s. I even bought all new #1s. Even played with the royal icing consistency. If I get the consistency such that it effortlessly comes out of the #1, then it's too runny and doesn't stay in place well to dry. Too thick and I can't use it to do what a #1 is supposed to do!

    Am I just missing something super basic? I even watched a video on icing consistency over at university of cookie and I'm just feeling lost, lost, lost as to what is my problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenni!

      This IS an old post. :) Sounds like it's lumps in your meringue powder. Be sure to beat that with water thoroughly before sifting in the powdered sugar. I check mine before adding the sugar; if I still see lumps, I beat it longer.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover