Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Royal Icing and Icing Bags

Royal icing....it may just be the easiest icing you will ever make. It is perfect for cookie decorating. Royal icing dries hard and shiny, so cookies can be stacked and icing stays pretty when cookies are packaged.

To start, you'll need meringue powder. Ateco is my favorite...I think I've tried them all. :) It is a little hard to find, so any meringue powder will work. Follow the instructions for Royal Icing that come with your meringue powder. The most important step: sift the powdered sugar! Believe me, I've tried to shortcut this step...it doesn't work. (My favorite powdered sugars are Domino and C & H, but as you can see from the picture, any will do. Imperial is easier to find in the 1 pound boxes.)

No matter what recipe you're using, you will beat the icing until it comes to a stiff peak. When the beater is pulled from the icing, the peak should stand steady. You can also pull the beater off the mixer and hold the whisk attachment upright. The peak should stand, even if you wiggle it.

At this point, you can add a few drops of flavoring if desired. Remember to use a clear flavor as brown will tint the icing.

Pastry bags...I can't say enough about disposable decorating bags! They are great. The 100 bag box is a perfect use for the weekly 40% off Michael's coupon. :) Use the bags with the white couplers to easily change out the tips with the same bag of icing.

Once you've filled the bag with icing (I generally only fill half to 2/3 full), twist the top and stand upright in a glass. If your bag will be sitting awhile unused, place a dampened paper towel in the bottom. Just be sure to squeeze a little icing out first before going to the cookie. The tip might be too wet and you'll have a water blotch.

14 comments:

  1. These pictures are SO helpful. Thank you! If I finish the pumpkin cake you posted about, I might try some mustache cookies for the party, too.

    PS WHERE did you get that tablecloth?!!! I am in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a dishtowel! :) Molly brought it all the way from Hawaii...from Martha's KMart collection. No stores around here...grrrr!!!

    You MUST do mustache cookies! This sounds like the best party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is great. You could do a BOOK!.....a beatiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, great tips. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you SOOOOOO much for this helpful tip!! I'm just starting with my cookie decorating and can't seem to get my royal icing quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Danielle! I can't wait to see your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo.... do you use the same royal icing to outline AND flood the cookie? You just thin the flood part out more? I sooo want to make pretty cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah! Yes...I use the same icing for both. I don't thin the piping icing at all. I thin the icing to fill in the piped area...just use water to thin the icing to a syrup-y consistency. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I don't suppose you have your cookie recipe posted here anywhere, do you? I've looked for it, but didn't see it. I don't care for the recipe we've been using for years (makes you wonder why I didn't give up on it sooner, eh?). If it's easier, you can email me at sairabee at yahoo dot com. Or I can check back here, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sarah! :)

    Click on the posts labeled "livestrong." The recipe there is the one I use. You can change it up by using different extracts.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! If you don't mind.... How do you keep your icing so glossy? Thanks a million! Your pictures look great and the cookies even better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gianduja101...actually, I'm not really sure! :) I think it's just the royal icing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog is very great .You can wriite a book. plz like this page:http://www.eggmcmuffin.net/

    ReplyDelete
  14. its a very beautifull blog.you can writte a book on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover