Saturday, January 21, 2017

Sweet on Trader Joe's Saturday : Sponge Candy

This week we're reviewing Trader Joe's Sponge Candy. We'd never seen it in store before, so of course, that meant we had to immediately buy a package.

Weekly review of Trader Joe's sweets and desserts from a mom and teenager perspective. This week: Trader Joe's Sponge Candy.
Trader Joe's Sponge Candy comes in an 8-ounce package and costs $3.49. The package says it's "sugar candy covered in milk chocolate" and "made in small batches." 


Trader Joe's Sponge Candy review
A mom's (my) take: This is my first time eating sponge candy. I've seen it on blogs and in cookbooks and it always looks appealing to me. The center of the candy is crunchy, and at the same time, light and airy. Taste-wise, it's similar to toffee, but much lighter in texture. There's a generous coating of milk chocolate all the way around. Adding to its charm is the fact that the pieces vary in size, giving it a candy-shop or homemade feel.  
Overall rating: 5 of 5 stars

A teenager's (Jack's) take: This is a very tasty and intriguing candy! Besides the classic milk chocolate covering, I love the "sponge" most of all. It fractures cleanly with each bite, which is very convenient if you're looking to limit crumbs. Although it's made of sugar, the candy has a lovely buttery taste. The only downside is that the candy has a tendency to stick to one's teeth (a lot), but there's an upside even to that: you can enjoy remnants of the flavor long after you've finished eating! :)
Overall rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Trader Joe's Sponge Candy review
[note: We have no affiliation with Trader Joe's. I'm sure they have never read this blog and have no idea who we are. Hey, we like being incognito, although we never wear sunglasses indoors. ;)]

Read all of our reviews of Trader Joe's treats and sweets here!

14 comments:

  1. I've never heard the term 'sponge candy' before. In Australia we would call this honeycomb (despite the potential absence of honey in the recipe). The chocolate coated version is marketed under a number of different brands, including the classic 'Violet Crumble'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello that looks like what the English refer to as Cinder Toffee the Irish refer to it as Yellowman and is relatively easy to make at home. It is also a sweet treat sold to the public in England by Cadburys called Crunchie. The only real thing you have to watch and do quickly is when you add bicarbonate of soda to the hot sugar solution you have to deal with things quickly as the bicarbonate of soda bubbles the hot sugar mixture up and will bubble over the pan so at this loint you need to get it into a well greased oiled baking pan pretty promptly and then leave it to cool. The chocolate is added separately. Kind regards. Pattypan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello that looks like what the English refer to as Cinder Toffee the Irish refer to it as Yellowman and is relatively easy to make at home. It is also a sweet treat sold to the public in England by Cadburys called Crunchie. The only real thing you have to watch and do quickly is when you add bicarbonate of soda to the hot sugar solution you have to deal with things quickly as the bicarbonate of soda bubbles the hot sugar mixture up and will bubble over the pan so at this loint you need to get it into a well greased oiled baking pan pretty promptly and then leave it to cool. The chocolate is added separately. Kind regards. Pattypan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it similar to peanut brittle, without the peanuts? I've heard that called Honeycomb candy before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks fabulous, either way. Wish we had a TJ's here (College Station, TX)!

      Delete
  5. I am from Buffalo, NY and sponge candy is BIG there. I now live in CA and most people don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Buffalo and I love sponge candy! If you want to try the real deal, order some from a local candy maker. (Parkside Chocolates, Watsons or Park Edge all deliver nationwide) But act fast because you can't get sponge candy in the warmer months, due to the humidity. So glad to see one of my childhood favorites being introduced to others!!

      Delete
    2. Sponge candy is a Buffalo delicacy!

      Delete
  6. When I was growing up it was called Fairy Food in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just purchased it as well and loved it. I used to buy crunchie bars that are similar but cannot find them in the USA anymore. I have never tried making it but have seen the recipes for honeycomb candy. I hope trader joes makes it a staple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Wisconsin and know it as Fairy Food, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my youth..my mom made it..I think i did too about 40 yrs ago..loved it ..we could buy it w/out choco..in a tight cello..but when I didcovered w/ choco..that was it..
    I can't eat it now..but the desire is there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I've seen it as Honeycomb and it's easy to make, but easier to buy��!
    Do you have an IG, I would like to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm from Wisconsin and I"ve never heard of it called fairy food. Angel food candy or sponge candy are what I've heard and it's divine. I hope to try trader joe's brand someday. is it season or do they have it all the time does anyone know? I live more then 2 hours from the closest TJ so only get there once a year or so.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover