Monday, April 18, 2016

Cookbook Crush: April 2016 + Cookies and Cream Cookies

If you're a lover of desserts...and if you aren't, I think you might be here by mistake...you probably know Shelly of the blog Cookies and Cups. Shelly's first cookbook has just been released, and y'all, it's a winner.

Cookbook Crush: The Cookies and Cups Cookbook + Cookies and Cream Cookies
The Cookies & Cups Cookbook: 125+ sweet & savory recipes reminding you to Always Eat Dessert First leads with the most important part of any meal, dessert! Shelly's desserts range from classic to totally inventive, all scrumptious. The back section of the book focuses on savory recipes. These are recipes that will get you through the busy week...delicious, but decidedly un-fussy.

Cookbook Crush: The Cookies and Cups Cookbook + Cookies and Cream Cookies
{Stay tuned, because Shelly has a SIGNED copy for a Bake at 350 reader! Woo hoo!}

Cookbook
I love that Shelly has savory recipes in her book. As a blogger of sweets, I get the impression that some people think we ONLY eat cookies around here. Hey, I'm not above having a brownie or two for lunch every once in a while, but believe or not, we do eat real food. And, I can't wait to try Shelly's savory recipes. (That picture up there? King Ranch PASTA! King Ranch Chicken is such a great Texas dish and I'm so looking forward to trying this spin on it with pasta.)

Cookbook Crush: The Cookies and Cups Cookbook + Cookies and Cream Cookies
Right out of the gate, I decided to make Shelly's Cookies and Cream Cookies. The cookies are big, puffy chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips and Oreos right in the dough. The hardest part about making these is making sure your husband doesn't eat all of the Oreos before you get to baking. (Hide them.)

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Cookies and Cream Cookies
{with permission from The Cookies & Cups Cookbook, makes 25-30}

1 cup salted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 TBSP vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 1/4 cup natural, 1/4 cup Dutch process...only because I ran out of natural)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white chocolate chips, divided
12 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Cream the butter and brown sugar together for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until the mixture is smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.

On medium speed, beat in the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until distributed evenly.

cookies and cream cookies
On low, add the flour in three additions. Mix until incorporated. Reserve 1/4 cup white chocolate chips. Stir in the remaining chips and the Oreos.

Use a large cookie scoop (I used a 2-TBSP, Shelly calls for a 3-TBSP) to drop the dough 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets. Press a few of the reserved chips onto the top of each cookie. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until the edges are set. Do not overbake these.

cookies and cream cookies
Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

These cookies were a HUGE hit with all of us. I'm usually not a fan of white chocolate, but these may have swayed me. SO good!

cookies and cream cookies with Oreos baked inside!
The Cookies & Cups Cookbook...it's going to get a workout in my kitchen!

Enter to win a signed copy by leaving a comment on this post telling me what dessert you're craving lately.

Entries accepted through 11:59pm CST, April 24th. US addresses only. Winner will be notified via email.

Good luck!

94 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! Lately I've been watching my salt intake so, of course, I'm craving salted sweets...but I wouldn't say no to these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, just realized I commented while signed into my husband's account! Let me try again :)...7 months pregnant...craving all dessert but would love cheesecake right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been craving cool and smooth desserts like no-bake layered pudding treats. I guess I'm ready for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm craving some decadent, fudgy brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am craving strawberry shortcake. These cookies sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm craving summer desserts, blackberry and peach cobblers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those vanilla cupcakes look delicious and would be perfect for my birthday April 28th!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kinda craving that Pavlova with grapefruit curd that I saw recently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been craving a dark chocolate cake. These cookies look amazing though and can't wait to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been craving homemade ice cream - thankfully our weather has warmed up and I can bring out my machine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm craving strawberry shortcake after spotting strawberries in the grocery store this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I'm craving these cookies! Hang on while I run to the store for some Oreos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm craving these cookies! Hang on while I run to the store for some Oreos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually JUST discovered her..the book looks fantastic and so do your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anything with salted caramel ! it's not a bad thing ��

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm craving some good brownies and why not make it ala mode :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been craving home-made chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always craving tiramisu, but I'm also craving many Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavors.... and I'm lactose intolerant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. non-chocolate chip cookies!! so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am now just craving these cookies! Thank you so much for sharing. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, that's looks delicious. I've craving lemon bars...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am always craving a good chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm craving ice cream... any kind will do :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm craving chocolate pie with whipped cream!! This cookbook looks fantastic - fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was recently diagnosed as lactose intolerant, so of course I've been craving ice cream, frozen yogurt, cheesecake and a big glass of milk and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been craving a homemade chocolate cake, I made it for my birthday and now we don't have any family birthdays for several months.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fresh peach pie and vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  28. pumpkin cheesecake brownies . . . YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm craving a cardamom creme caramel with coffee caramel. and a nice shortbread cookie

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am craving a raspberry or some other berry cupcake mounted in frosting

    ReplyDelete
  31. Homemade chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Visions of carrot cake smothered in cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Banana bread with a crisp sugary top.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm definitely going to give these oreo cookies a try! I was just thinking about making banana pudding. I have a fabulous recipe from Paula Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So glad to have found the Cookies & Cups blog through yours. So happy to have found your blog through The Pioneer Woman blog. Thanks for all the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Chocolate cookies sound amazing. I'm honestly just craving any chocolate dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Maple goodies. I love maple, even though I can only have it in healthier forms.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have been craving carrot cake, cheese cake and egg custard! All three equally! I make cookies every week so that craving is satisfied! I could try a few new recipes and switch it up! I just love to bake for my family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oooh, dessert! We had Bienenstich this week, filled with a homemade pastry cream. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Craving a Moose tracks milk shake about now

    ReplyDelete
  41. Totally craving strawberry rhubarb pie at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Shortbread cookies with 1/2 dipped in chocolate! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm hungry for caramel apple pie. Or maybe I want a Derby pie. Then again, vegan caramel "ice cream" sounds wonderful, and so does strawberry shortcake.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am craving a brownie blizzard from Dairy Queen. I haven't had Dairy Queen since it opened for the season here in Maine and I am always craving anything brownie related!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have been craving brownies lately.. With a peanut butter swirl!!! cant wait to try these cookies, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have been craving rhubarb desserts!! Hurry up spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am craving everything in this book!! All my favorite bloggers have been posting recipes from it, and they all look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I always want chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have been craving everything peanut butter! Like the lunch lady peanut butter bars! I could eat a whole pan myself haha. These cookies look delicious! I will have to try them 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  50. I pretty much love anything lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I pretty much love anything lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm always craving anything chocolate, but after seeing these cookies I'm craving them:)

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm craving anything chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'm craving soft chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I've been having an insane craving for some homemade chocolate chip cookies lately!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I've really been craving a good chocolate chip cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I've been craving homemade peanut butter cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I've been craving cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Ooooh those cookies look delicious. I've been craving cookies - I mean, who doesn't? These might just fit the bill!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Craving Homemade Ice Cream - especially coffee flavor ...but now I'm craving cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Cheesecake! It's been awhile since I have made one. I might have to change that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hello, I am craving a good Vanilla Cupcake or Chocolate will do...

    ReplyDelete
  63. Cheesecake... red velvet cheesecake sounds good right now

    ReplyDelete
  64. fudgy dark chocolate brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Oh man - ice cream, cake, cookies, brownies... There is always room for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I'm craving those cookies now! & oreos!

    ReplyDelete
  67. For some reason -- I've started eating like an entire box of ice cream sandwiches a day.. #hormones?

    ReplyDelete
  68. Currently craving cookies - specifically a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips. Now I have to buy some oreos at lunch and try out the recipe!
    Margie
    mrlamersatyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete
  69. I'm craving cheesecake and I made one yesterday but it has to chill in the fridge for 24 hours to get the best results and I'm impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Since the Kentucky Derby is right around the corner, I would love to have a slice of Derby Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  71. I'll be honest, I crave all of them :) especially ice cream desserts!!!.......your recipes look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  72. I recently ate a nutella lava cake and its been calling my name ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  73. I have been craving chocolate hostess cupcakes for days now!

    ReplyDelete
  74. I've been craving my homemade peanut butter pie!

    ReplyDelete
  75. I'm craving pb cup s'mores by a bonfire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I'm certainly not supposed to be having sweets, but man-oh-man, I would love some moist triple layer chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  77. I'm certainly not supposed to be having sweets, but man-oh-man, I would love some moist triple layer chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  78. what is the oven temp degrees or what oven are you using?mine only go up to 230

    ReplyDelete
  79. Dessert? I made these chocolate snickerdoodles that were yummy and I keep wanting more. Good thing they are only in the freezer waiting to make the rest of the batch. But King Ranch Pasta? I need to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Aggh! I am doing the Whole 30 & have not had sugar for 25 days! So I'm craving pretty much any dessert I see. Like those cookies & cream cookies you made! I'm not usually a fan of oreo, but those look delicious and if they were sitting in front of my right now I would eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  81. I am craving rice pudding lately

    ReplyDelete
  82. Just an old fashioned oatmeal cookie for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover