Thursday, September 18, 2014

Quebec City...pack your bags, people.

It's not easy to surprise your husband with a 50th birthday trip. 
Heck, I could barely click "purchase now" for the airline tickets without asking his opinion on the prices and flight times.
visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour
Quebec City has been on our "maybe someday" list of places to visit every since my cousin and her husband (remember their engagement cookies?) honeymooned there.
(Also, they just had a baby girl yesterday...named Bridget. I cried. Hi, baby Bridget!!!)
I remember seeing the pictures and thinking that Quebec City looked magical.  It is.

So many people have asked, "why Quebec City?"  Since I was sold on it through pictures, that's what I'll share with you, too.  Mainly pictures and a few tidbits.  (No, this is not a sponsored post.  Yes, Quebec City...consider this an open letter.  We're available for relocation. ;))

I could talk all day about these yellow shutters...
visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour
Utterly charming.

visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour
{Yes, that is a water fountain for horses. I TOLD you...QC is SO cute!!!}

Quebec City likes its statues...
visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour

The food. Oh my gosh. This is from a bakery called Le Croquembouche. Mr. E ordered an ice cream. Kiddo ordered a sandwich. My order is below: quebec city bakery ...
That little pastry with the heart is chocolate mousse with a praline crust covered in dark chocolate.  I'll remember that forever.

Before the trip, I tried to learn a little French on the sly. My French app really seemed to understand me. french language app
Also, every time I spoke French to someone, they answered me in English.  Hey, I tried.

visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour
No trip out of the country is complete without a parking ticket.  Just ask my dad who has a 20-year-old outstanding parking ticket in Ireland.  (PS: we paid this one.)

Montmorency Falls, just outside Quebec City
There are lots of cool things to see outside of the city, too.  Like Montmorency Falls.  Not as wide as Niagara Falls, but taller.

Montmorency Falls, just outside Quebec City
Y'all.  We rode a cable car to the top...walked across a bridge over the top of the falls, and walked down about a million steps to get back down.  It was cool.

The Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré.  Beautiful.
Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, just outside Quebec City


Let me tell you about the hotel where we stayed:
Le Chateau Frontenac.
It's easy to see why it's the most photographed hotel in the world.  I could NOT stop taking pictures of it...from every angle. (It's in the first picture of this post and a few of the collages, too.)
visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour (Le Chateau Frontenac)
{Again, this is not a sponsored post...but if you visit, think about staying here, or at least have a drink in the bar.}

visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour (Le Chateau Frontenac)
Lobby.

visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour (Le Chateau Frontenac)
Gorgeous bar.

visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour
I knew we had breakfast included with our stay, but let's be honest, hotel breakfast are usually a let down, right? Not this one. I contemplated staying there all day. Four (4) kinds of croissants, fresh crepes, eggs, CHOCOLATES (!!!), and a million other goodies, PLUS juice in the cutest glass bottles. There was even a big bowl of Nutella! It was dreamy. 
{Yes, the longest paragraph of this post is about a breakfast buffet.}

We were totally smitten with Le Chateau Frontenac...and so glad that my cousin & her husband recommended it.

visiting Quebec City ... a photo tour
There are SO many things to see, and do, and EAT.  The museums, Ile d'Orleans, etc., etc. If you go, will you take me with you?

quebec city boys photo quebeccitycollageboys.jpg
PS...Mr. E was totally surprised with the trip! Maybe we'll go back for his 51st. ;)



34 comments:

  1. Aww so fun! Quebec City is lovely - so European looking! I definitely suggest trying Montreal next time (totally biased)...but I think you'd love it there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh beautiful pics!!!!! I've been there for only one day..it was rainy, but we saw kind of cinema on the port building...it was silent and so magic!!!
    Wish to come back there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG it's so beautiful.. Seems to be in Europe and not in Canada.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHat a fun idea...I need to surprise my husband...I don't know if I would be able to keep it a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were there in June:)It's the capital of my province..We ate at le Lapin Sauté:) So cute.
    Your pics are wonderful!
    And your husband looks 40 if at that!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got me!!!! I want to go to Quebec City, can we go for my Bday and your Bday and the kids Bday, and our friends Bday, and Everybody's Bday ? Your pictures are amazing and the smile on Mr. E's face tells it all!!
    So happy for you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, Bridget. The last pic is best! Jack is getting tall, btw! Plz tell Mr. Mark happy late birthday for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so satisfying to read that you guys liked our city as much as I do! I'm 30 and I never get tired of walking in Old Québec, it's sooo romantic! And you stayed at Château Frontenac?! Wow! Lucky you! Did you tried the new restaurant? Your pictures are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we needed to stay at a special place for his big birthday! ;) The renovation there is just stunning. Yes, we did eat in the restaurants and in the bar. So good!

      Delete
  9. Stunning pics! Happy bday! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to go to Québec so I really appreciate your photos. It looks like you had a wonderfully, charming time. Happy 50th birthday to Mr. E!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. I am so looking forward to our trip, coming up in just 3 weeks. Do you have any great restaurant suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karen! I would definitely eat at Le Croquembouche bakery! Le Chateau Frontenac has wonderful food, beautiful setting, and great view....even if you just go for a drink and a cheese platter. :) We also really enjoyed Le Petit Cochon Dingue in the Lower Town....casual place, but great food!

      Have so much fun!!!

      Delete
  12. Ok, this is officially now on my to-do list!! Was this in the summer? It looks like the weather was perfect and the flowers were at their peak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was Labor Day weekend! It was beautiful and the weather was perfect!

      Delete
  13. Love your pictures and recap. We travelled here several times when we were first married, in the 70;s. I think we need to go again......and we are close enough to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So jealous! LOVE Quebec City. Went there for our honeymoon years ago. Such an amazing place. Can't wait to go back...your pictures make me want to hop a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bridget,
    Happy Birthday to hubby. So glad you guys had a great time.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay!
    So there's my KIDDO!
    You know how I feel about that AWESOME BOY!
    And you know how I feel about the birthday boy!
    But let's talk about that "Bunnies Crossing" sign!
    And the water fountain for horses!
    And those JUICE bottles!!!!!
    What a gorgeous trip Bridget!
    You totally need to get Mr. E to hand YELLOW shutters on your house!
    Or move to Quebec!!!!
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. This place has a special spot in my heart! Loooove it! (It's where I'm from!) also....if you like winter it's even more magical (if that's even possible...but think all the buildings with Christmas lights around the windows and old fashioned puppet shows in the kid's toy shop window....man I need to get my but in gear and get a train ticket pronto! Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hubby is 50?! You must look after him well :) Looks like a lovely trip, I'd love to visit Canada one day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We need to go there and stay THERE sometime when we are on a trip to Vermont!! I love all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been fortunate enough to visit many times when I lived in the Martimes. Carnival in the winter is also tremendously fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These pictures are beautiful. A little Europe much closer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your photos are gorgeous Bridget! Was Mr E blown away the entire trip? This in fact may be your souls destiny mate! The destiny as a soul mate? A soul something, right haha I love your story about the trip 💛🍒💛

    ReplyDelete
  23. PLEASE tell me you had poutine! When we lived in Cape Cod, we went to Quebec every year for our anniversary/Canadian Thanksgiving. Even now that we live in Alaska, we have poutine for our anniversary because we miss it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mister and I spent a very special Valentines Weekend there during Winterfest, it was truly spectacular! Thank you for the pictures, it took me back ;). Highly recommend a return trip in winter, magical

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so happy I stumble accross your blog! I live in Quebec City and am so happy to hear when tourist talk about how the enjoy our city! I hope you had a great time! It's so funny when you said people were answering you back in english when your were trying to speak french. I think people in Quebec are really accommodating and are just trying to make thing simple for others! Just when I go to Montreal people don't even answer back in french so I have to switch to be answered haha! Have a great day :D! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your photographs of your visit to Quebec city are just gorgeous! You certainly made some wonderful memories of your time in Canada and surely a birthday present that will long be remembered by Mr. E. I'm happy that all your plans came together so wonderfully. Congratulations to your cousin and her husband on the birth of their daughter. How sweet that she was named after you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I saw that you had visited Quebec City, I was hoping you would say you stayed at the Chateau! Can't believe it's been 12 years since our own stay there. We drove all the way from Atlanta to Niagara Falls and then on through Canada to Ottawa and Quebec City. The terrain alone was so exciting to me!
    Congratulations on the new Bridget in your family, and for being able to surprise your husband with such a great birthday trip! Love, love, love all your photos! Ile d'orleans was absolutely one of our favorites. We had one of the most amazing meals on the island. The scenery there and throughout Quebec City was truly unforgettable. Thanks for taking us along through your eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover