Thursday, September 11, 2014

Life is just a bowl of cherries (cookies).

I have been the biggest cherry lover for the longest time.  I guess it all stems back from my days working for Mary Engelbreit.  You just can't get those cherries out of your system. ;)

decorated cookies with cherries and polka dots!
These cookies are for a little project I'm working on (more on that later!), and I didn't intend to post these on the blog.  BUT!!!  You guys...I just couldn't not post them.  Those cherries with the yellow and the dots just speak to my soul.

No step-by-step photos for these, but I'll walk you through how to make them.

decorated cookies with cherries and polka dots!

To make the cherry cookies, you'll need:

  • heart and scalloped oval cut-out cookies
  • royal icing, divided and tinted with AmeriColor Egg Yellow, Bright White, Super Red, and Leaf Green
  • couplers and tips, #2, #5, and leaf
  • disposable icing bags
  • squeeze bottles

1. Outline the cookies in the base color using a #2 tip.  (Reserve some of this white icing.)

2. Thin the remaining yellow and white icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.
Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles.

3. Fill in the outlines with the thinned icing, working 6-8 cookies at a time.  Use a toothpick to guide the icing to the edges and to pop large air bubbles.

4. Starting with the first cookie filled, drop dots of the contrasting color onto the wet icing.  Let the cookies dry for at least one hour.

5. Thin the red icing as above, but don't thin it as much.  Draw a knife through the center of the icing.  You'll want it to come back together in a count of 20 seconds.  Do the same with the reserved white icing.

decorated cookies with cherries and polka dots!
6. Pour the icing into a piping bag fitted with a #5 tip.  Pipe cherries onto the cookies.  With a #2 tip, add the detail on the cherries with the white icing.

7. Use a #2 tip to add the cherry stems in green.  Switch the tip to a leaf tip and add a leaf.

8. Let the cookies dry uncovered, 6-8 hours or overnight.
decorated cookies with cherries and polka dots!
I now return you to pumpkin season.


  1. These are ME perfect.
    I had no idea you had worked for her.
    It must have been wonderful..your creativity and hers.

  2. These are so adorable, beautifully decorated!

  3. These are just precious! I'd almost feel bad eating them - ALMOST! :)

  4. These cookies are so cute, I love them!!!

  5. oh come on, these are adorable Bridget! Can't wait to hear more about this secret project of yours :)

  6. Such cute cookies. These red cherries are perfect!

  7. these look almost too pretty to eat. almost...

  8. You are so unbelievably talented. These are adorable!

  9. Bridget, I love these so much! They really POP! I don't think I have ever used icing quite as thin as your flood. Wowsie! Eyes opened, so many different things work for everyone! These obviously are just perfect! Can't wait to see how they fit into something else,...

  10. Bridget, these are so perfect. Almost too pretty to eat!
    Thanks for all the instructions, too. I don't have your talent for royal icing,
    but would love to try my hand at this.

  11. I can't get over the sweet perfection in these cookies! Love them and looking forward to hearing about the project you created them for.

  12. These are positively adorable.

    Have you ever written about your job with ME? Would you share that sometime with us? I know I'd love to read about what you did. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent & creativity with us.

  13. Cutest ever!!! Love these Bridget! xo

  14. Bridget, I am absolutely giddy over these cookies!

  15. I'm a huge ME fan as well! One of my most cherished projects was a rocking chair. I painted it black and added little red cherries all over. Thanks for sharing the cookies!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover